Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the past i've. always had two vehicles. i have a tahoe for family trips,hunting/camping,and towing. i've driven camray's for work(35,000 plus/yr.). my wife has a 2001 mdx-excellent. the mdx would meet all of my needs but i'm concerned with it as a tow vehicle, weight capacity is not my concern,any feedback would be greatly appreciated(especially with all the drag encountered with a large snowmobile trailer)

thanks in advance

cr

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
wide range of trailers

There are a whole bunch of trailers on the road for sno-mo's:

Unless you are hauling the "big 'un" I would think the MDX would be more than enough. While not quite as slippery as a boat the low-profile "clam shell" trailers are pretty close.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
crh said:
ithe mdx would meet all of my needs but i'm concerned with it as a tow vehicle, weight capacity is not my concern
Well, if the abiity to pull a specific weight is not a concern, what about towing *IS* your concern?

Reports here are that the MDX is quite capable, and handles well with moderate loads.

As with any tow vehicle, trailers over a certain weight (1000 lbs in the MDX's case) should have brakes. Personally, I'd only worry about that if the trailer was getting up past 3k.

Ard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm its also interesting that the MDX comes with a 4 pin connector - so you'd need an adaptor for trailer brakes. Or have I misunderstood things? Just started MDX towing, and looking for a trailer at the mo.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That's true- although I'd venture that there isn't an MDX in america set up for electric brakes- (I once posted this question and had zero replies)

Acura is real new to this whole towing thing, so who knows...they probably decided to put it in the instructions to CYA, yet didn't want to set up the wiring harness for the 4 US buyers who were so inclined.

for an electric brake controller you need four lines: 30A line in from +battery, ground, a line out to the trailer brakes, and a line in from the brake lights. But yes, you are right that you'll need an extra wire to the trailer. (Uhaul (and others) make adapters that will plug into the four pin connector on the MDX hitch, and then have a 6 or 7 pin 'real trailer' connector- you'd just add the 'trailer brake line' from the brake controller to the back of the connector.)

I pull a 12000 lb trailer with a diesel F250 that weighs 7400 lbs. The electric brakes make a huge difference. I'd not consider towing it anywhere without.

Ard

PS If anyone is interested, the best brake controller I've seen is the Tekonsha Prodigy. Virtually transparent- senses the deceleration of the truck and applies the trailer brakes in proportion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm, glad this topic came up. My hitch is backordered, and I just ordered a little camping trailer (www.chaletrv.com). I'm going to ask both the Acura dealer and the Chalet dealer about the electrical connections and see if they match up.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
chalet looks like neat little trailers...

I clipped this from their FAQs:

"Q: Do I need electric brakes?

A: Check the owners manual for your tow vehicle. Some specify that you must equip your trailer with electric brakes if the trailer weight exceeds a certain amount. Sometimes it's 1000 pounds, sometimes it's 2000 pounds.

Also, some states require brakes on trailers over a certain weight. Ask your dealer about this. California for example requires brakes on trailers weighing over 1500 pounds."

[WOW! Surprise to me]

"Finally, we recommend brakes for everyone. They add a minimal extra cost and a little bit of extra weight, but if you have to make an emergency
stop ever, the electric trailer brakes can mean the difference between a close call you drive away from and a bad accident you don't. Chances are your tow vehicle can benefit from the extra stopping power of trailer brakes."

I'd be interested in Acura's official response to "how do I put an electric brake controller on?"..

Ard

·
Registered
31 Posts
I trailer my 3000# boat (fueled and rigged) regularly with my MDX. I'm in FL so there aren't any *real* hills to climb. I talked to the boat dealer and the trailer manufacturer about surge brakes for this combination and both said it was a waste of money. Since they both would have benefitted from the added expense, I took their word for it.

I have had no problems towing the boat. I have tested the brakes when it was safe and the trailer stayed straight behind the MDX - right where it belongs.

I wouldn't push the weight much further without brakes, but I am confident that I can safely trailer this boat.

One thing that DID surprise me was the fuel economy! I am lucky to get 15 mpg onthe highway. 12 mpg is about the average. I guess that is the prce you pay with an engine that is not designed for top fuel efficiency with a boat rolling behind it!

Good luck!
Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wasn't complaining. I'm just surprised to see that kind of drop with the trailer.

You are right, my Jeep with the 5.2L was good for 15mpg normally and 12mpg with the boat.

Like I said, I guess the smaller engines take more of a fuel economy hit with a trailer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have towed 4000 lb, with electric brakes, with no problems at all. I even passed other vehicles going up-hill.

2001 MDX

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
SF-MDX said:
Do you guys think I need a tranny and steering cooler if I am towing two 400lb motorcycles.
Absolutely, without a doubt.

I assume these are on a trailer... so 400x2 = 800 plus trailer... Figure 1200 MINIMUM, more likely 1500 plus with gas, helmets, beer :)

And I see your are in SF.. will you venture anywhere East this summer? Temps will be above 90 or 100.

Personally, I have the cooler and I'll not be towing ANYTHING with the MDX- just more margin for temperature extremes-

Hey CASTIQUE.. How do your E Brakes work? (Tehcnically, what kind are they, how are they controlled, etc)

Ard

·
Registered
54 Posts
ardvarkus

1500lbs MAX, I have a fold up trailer, so it may be 400lb . Wont be going east just up north or down south to the local race tracks. I worry about the hills, I had a 92 4runner before this with a stock hitch and I believe it didn't have a cooler and it was fine but I am not sure about the MDX. I will put one on eventually, budget permitting, but for now I just want to know if it was safe.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
well, there are two risks: actualy damage and voiding the warranty

If you were to pull into an Acura dealer (or more aptly, be towed in) with a transmission failure, and you had a hitch and no cooler, I could see them getting hinky with you. (especially if there was a trailer still attached to the MDX :)) You ought to have a cooler AND it WILL improve the life of the trans.

On the other hand, the original MDX (funny saying that..) came with an owners manual that stated anything under 2000 lbs required NO cooler.

(I know this because that is what is in my manual.)

Acura backtracked a month later (when it became clear that once the hitch was installed, there was no way to figure out what weight trailer had been towed) (duh). To help clarify their warranty liability, they just said 'everybody needs coolers if a hitch is installed'.

So, in reality, you likely will be OK since you are below the 'old' 2000lb limit- but technically not.

Ard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts