Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 2019 or newer MDX with the 9 speed. I need to confidently tow a 17’ fishing boat with total weight of about 2,200 lbs. Anyone tow anything similar in weight with any complaints?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am considering a 2019 or newer MDX with the 9 speed. I need to confidently tow a 17’ fishing boat with total weight of about 2,200 lbs. Anyone tow anything similar in weight with any complaints?
You should be fine as long as you don’t load up your MDX with more than 4 people and heavy stuff in back ..... and if the 2200 lbs includes the trailer. Also, be aware of how much extra stuff you put in your boat such as gas, anchor, coolers, etc.
I believe the 3500 capacity is figured with just two people aboard the MDX and no extra weight (or very little) in back.
I towed with my 17 SH-AWD Tech a few times. 1200 lb dual axle trailer with 1500 lbs of trees in it and it did just fine.
Just remember, if you tow often, you will probably need to change your tranny fluid more often, and the ZF9 tranny fluid changes are more expensive than your “normal” tranny.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You won't have any problem with towing that size load. If you are going to the desert or other hot places you might consider adding the transmission cooler, although for under 3500# you should be good. I am assuming you have the SH-AWD option. I definitely recommend the OEM tow hitch and wiring harness, and a discount can be had online (oemacuraparts.com and others). Also it would be a good idea to sell the space-saving spare and buy an OEM wheel online and add matching tire locally. Space-saving spares do not have enough load capacity or traction to be safe for towing, and you do not want to leave the boat on the side of the road while chasing a fix, or pay for on-road repair service.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The fwd MDX doesn't come with a donut spare, tools, or mounting hardware. It is a $2000 up charge for sh-awd; but, you get a donut spare, tire changing tools, and mounting under MDX kit. I can cost around $500 to add the spare tire kit to the fwd MDX depending on how much you spend on the spare (donut, rim size, full size spare, tpms). You are really only paying around $1500 for sh-awd if you factor in the cost of the spare tire kit.

The OEM hitch can take a full size spare. The OEM hitch does have a replacement piece for the hitch to fit higher and a little hidden in the bumper. Some aftermarket hitches sit below the bumper and might not take a full size spare.

OEM hitch, OEM harness, added cut-out trim piece to solid trim, and full size spare with cover.

·
Registered
672 Posts
IIRC the SH-AWD also acts to keep down swaying. For towing that much weight it really is a better option. Also, with that heavy of a boat, pulling it out of the water on a steep ramp might well benefit by the extra traction. And having the tire changing tools and spare tire lift installed is a plus. Just get the full size spare. The old space-saver can be sold here in the classifieds. Just be sure to buy an OEM wheel that is the same as you have; during the 3rd gen they changed the bolt circle diameters so they don't all use the same size bolt pattern.

·
Registered
2017 MDX AWD
3 Posts
You won't have any problem with towing that size load. If you are going to the desert or other hot places you might consider adding the transmission cooler, although for under 3500# you should be good. I am assuming you have the SH-AWD option. I definitely recommend the OEM tow hitch and wiring harness, and a discount can be had online (oemacuraparts.com and others). Also it would be a good idea to sell the space-saving spare and buy an OEM wheel online and add matching tire locally. Space-saving spares do not have enough load capacity or traction to be safe for towing, and you do not want to leave the boat on the side of the road while chasing a fix, or pay for on-road repair service.
Hello PDXsailor. Wayner here. We just purchased a 2017 MDX AWD unit, which had the OEM hitch and the 7pin connector wiring for a travel trailer was already installed. As we are getting a ~4000# trailer am in the process of installing the electric brake controller. Did you or any of the fellow followers of this site do that recently? I'm looking at the REDARC Elite electric brake controller, as the main unit can be placed on the firewall in any orientation. My questions are: 1. There is a small dial, for manual over-ride, and wondering the best location for mounting this dial ?
2. I'm assuming our MDX's are a 12v system and not 24vdc? I've looked around for confirmation of this but that info is elusive.
3. In the pkg I also received a pigtail with connector on on end and bar wires on other. I've looked around the fuse area of drivers side, lower left, and haven't found 4 bare wires that match or a connector. Any comments as to what and where I should be searching for these 4 wires to attach to pigtail, then the controller?
Thanks, in advance, for any details you folks can offer me.
Regards, Wayner.

·
Registered
2015 MDX
191 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
907 Posts
Amazing! I bought a OE hitch assembly for my 2018 X and it did NOT come with a pig tail for a brake controller. It does come with all the wiring to hook up the 7 pin connector.
The MDX is rated to tow 3500 or 5000 pounds depending on whether you add the auxiliary trans cooler. For a 2200 of even a 3000 pound boat the OP will generally not need the trans cooler. Now if he were towing up and down hills or in the mountains IMHO it would be a good idea to add it. In the towing world, which I spent over 30 years in the best brake controller has been the Techosha Prodigy. Most all others can be jerky at best.

·
Registered
2017 MDX AWD
3 Posts
Hello NVAKeith and Donn0128:

Thanks for your replies. After I received NVAKeith's reply I found the pigtail, pic below, then went outside and crawled around the fuse box area, driver's lower left, and couldn't find a female connector on where to attach into the system. Did a pretty extensive search and didn't find a female connector loose that would match. From videos and reading I've done, all I should be needing to do is match the wiring between this pigtail bare wire end to the controller, with some barrel connectors and should be good to go. Just can't find that female connector. Maybe the shop didn't install? I'll give them a call and enquire.
Donn0128-Roger that. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I did get the ATF cooler installed. So I should be good up to 5000# and Hitch weight of 500#. Unit I purchased is under these specs so I do have some room for CCC.
I'll investigate the Techosha Prodigy unit.
Also to the person who suggested the full vs donut spare. Very good point. Will investigate.
So, unless there are more ideas as to where this connector maybe, the only other thing I'm trying to understand is 12v / 24v system. I'm assuming 12v system, and I wouldn't even have questioned it until investigating these controllers where they state some are for 12v systems only and some are for either 12/24v system. Can you folks provide some clarity on this point ?
Regards, Wayner

Corded phone Telephony Font Telephone Communication Device

·
Registered
672 Posts
The connector is found by getting your head down in the footwell, then looking to the left and UP. It is in an opening at the top of the fascia.

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P3, with the harness for Honda/Acura included (https://amazon.com/TEKONSHA-CONTROL-HARNESS-RIDGELINE-CONTROLLER/dp/B007O5GXSW/ref=sr_1_1 ) , although they can be purchased separately. The P3 includes a pigtail that can be mated to the Acura pigtail you have, or you can use the pre-made cable. If you use the Tekonsha one, which is very nicely done, you may have to swap two pins (ask later if going that way). Otherwise just follow the wire labels and colors in the Acura and Tekonsha manuals and you will be fine.

I had made some aluminum mounting brackets, and I still have some. It allows for mounting the P3 in a convenient location to the right of the steering wheel, with the manual lever easy to reach. No holes are required, it is attached by removing the trim strip and installing it beneath. See Trailer brake controller

·
Registered
2017 MDX AWD
3 Posts
Wayner, the oem hitch wiring includes a pigtail for the brake controller. Hopefully the PO left it in the car for you somewhere.

Edit:

Yes, the MDX is 12v.

Here are the hitch install instructions, the brake controller pigtail “subharness” is shown on page 15 and directs you to the owners manual for how to utilize it.

Eureka! Finally found it. Thank you for the link. Didn't have that document. Then went back to operators manual, manual page 359, then went back out to do another search. It was taped to the main harness with very little extra cable. Found it by spotting the coloured wires. Cut the tape, to give me a bit more flexibility in that cable, and there it was. Excellent.
I can now progress from this point.
Regards, Wayner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts