Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a 2016 MDX Advance/ AWD if I can't find a low mileage 2015 that I like. I believe both are rated at 3500# without the additional ATF cooler. My boat/trailer weighs a little less than 2000# and I normally only trailer it about 20 miles each way.

My thought is to buy the vehicle (2015/2016), add the OEM hitch and pull my trailer without the optional ATF cooler. I will probably add it later just to be on the safe side should I need to haul something heavier.

Opinions please...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I just finished a 5000 mile trip pulling 3000 lbs. with my 2014. No trans cooler and hot weather, no problems at all. I changed the trans fluid before the trip , and will do it again now that I'm back. Twenty four bucks for 3 qts of fluid is the cheapest insurance I can think of.

Any time that the road was not dead flat, I set the transmission in 5th gear. Slightly higher RPMs increase flow (and therefore cooling) for the oil in the engine and transmission, as well as the engine coolant. No effect on MPG that I can see.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am going to buy a 2016 MDX Advance/ AWD if I can't find a low mileage 2015 that I like. I believe both are rated at 3500# without the additional ATF cooler. My boat/trailer weighs a little less than 2000# and I normally only trailer it about 20 miles each way.

My thought is to buy the vehicle (2015/2016), add the OEM hitch and pull my trailer without the optional ATF cooler. I will probably add it later just to be on the safe side should I need to haul something heavier.

Opinions please...

Less than 2k lbs, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
bought mine w/o the cooler and figured an aftermarket or even over the counter oem is cheaper when needed - with a sub 3500# trailer you're well within the rated range, meaning you shouldn't have warranty issues either by the book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts