Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

TOWING w/ 3rd GEN MDX- Lightweight Travel Trailer?

40K views 103 replies 30 participants last post by  PDXsailor 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 w/ Tech SH/AWD, Dealer installed 3500 lb hitch w 7 pin at time of purchase new-
Currently considering the purchase of a Lance 1575 Lightweight travel trailer.

Gross Dry Weight 2775 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 245 Lbs.
Axle Weight 2530 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 925 Lbs.
GVWR 3700 Lbs.

I would like to know if anyone is and or has used this gen to tow anything similar and how did it do?

My intentions would be to have the dealer install the ATF cooler accessory to get me to the 5000 lb capacity to be safe. I do not have intentions of even coming close to maxing it's capacity out-

Also considering adding a brake controller

I can not find much info out there related to the MDX's and towing but being that Honda Pilots and Ridgeline's routinely tow this camper I was thinking I should be alright

I live in the Rocky Mountain West of Colorado, so high elevation and steep grades are a concern.

I have read maybe one or two comments related to the ATF Cooler effecting the performance of the vehicle in a negative manner-

Any experienced information and or feedback would be very much appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
The only problems I’m aware of with the accessory ATF cooler are when it is installed on vehicles with the 9-speed ZF transmission. Your 2015 MDX has the Honda 6-speed transmission, so it should be fine. Given the steep grades and long mountain passes, I would strongly recommend adding the ATF cooler for ANY towing.

#3 ·
Advertised dry weights are never anywhere close to the ready-to-camp weights. Plenty disagree with me but I personally would never tow anything more than a light motorcycle or utility trailer with any generation MDX. I would have bought a Tahoe if I wanted an SUV to tow a smaller travel trailer with.

I have a toy hauler that I towed with a Titan (since upgraded to a Ram 3500 diesel), well within its rated capabilities and it struggled in everything but flat, windless conditions which in NorCal is rare.

#4 ·
I agree about the dry weight fibbing by manufacturers, but that's a little harsh on the towing capabilities of current generation MDX or Pilot. I used to tow a roughly 3500-4000 pound boat and trailer in moderately hilly terrain with multiple generations of MDX and Pilot without major problems. And I once towed a 6'x12' U-Haul trailer across a couple states with our 2014 MDX. That trailer weighs 2000 pounds empty, and it wasn't empty.

One issue with travel trailers will be the frontal area that sticks out above the roofline of the MDX. That creates a constant aerodynamic drag. And long travel trailers may have issues with sway because of the relatively soft suspension of MDX compared to a big honkin diesel truck. Both issues can be mitigated by just slowing down.

As for weight, Acura says to deduct 200 pounds from maximum tow weight for every 1000 feet of elevation. That's about 1200 pounds for you, CO, so even with the ATF cooler, now you're at 3800 pounds capacity. And without the cooler, it would be 2300 pounds. You're also supposed to deduct the weight of cargo in the vehicle, and "excess" passengers ( more than one in addition to driver ). So it's not really very hard to bump up against the limits of what's "recommended". But unlike some manufacturers, Honda/Acura does actually test their vehicles to ensure they can handle the rated tow weight.

If you're willing to slow down and enjoy the scenery, and you're willing to pack light, it may be fine. If it's going to be a routine thing, a pop-up trailer might be a better bet.

#9 ·
this is all great input- i do appreciate everyone taking the time to post. The Acura and my Wife's Subaru Outback are paid for- I did not buy the Acura to tow- I had a very nice F150 prior to the purchase- Just was not sure i wanted to get another truck and if the MDX could be a capable tower with a lightweight travel trailer, then...well that would be great. I don't like car payments and buying a truck and a camper at the same time doesn't get me all giddy- it is what it is though

I have reservations using it, safety comes first and no since in trashing a very good vehicle. When I bought the Acura, at most I thought from time to time I would tow a drift boat and or raft- no biggy. It does handle a bike rack quite efficiently :)

Life has changed and we now have an interest in a travel trailer and have settled on the Lance- I'm not going to put the cart before the horse though-

#10 ·
I had the cooler and it is a "clunk" 4-5 shift. It also deteriorates over-all performance (I know, because I had mine removed and over-all got smoother) but does NOT cause harm to the transmission according to Acura service. In my case, it was pronounced, but other report that it is no big deal. It is important to note you rarely, if ever, hear stories of outright transmission failure and even issues...only driving experience.

As for towing, my boat, motor, trailer is 2300lbs and I can report that the MDX pulls it like it isn't even there..

#11 ·
I have towed my A-Frame trailer more than 15K miles with zero problems. 3100 lbs actual weight loaded.

When driving through rolling hills country, I lock it it 5th gear so that it doesn't hunt between 5th and 6th. I also change my transmission fluid every year before towing season.

#14 ·
I also tow a pop-up trailer close to 4000 lbs. (it's the biggest pop-up I could find, but not high-wall)
MDX tows it easily no problem.

In fact, pretty much all (with a few budget SUV exceptions) modern SUVs could handle a light trailer. Modern engines provide more than sufficient power to tow beyond the specified rating. Stability is the issue here. Trucks have longer wheels base to provide better stability, SUVs are shorter, but any 7-seater should work just fine for light trailers.

your dry weight of 2775 would be approaching the limit considering 1000 ft elevation, 4 passengers with cargo, all the trailer camping gears, hiking gears, kayaks, bikes.... But it's definitely doable.

#55 ·
For the sake of others reading this...the frontal area that drastically increases wind resistance is far more of an issue than the actual weight. Your low profile makes a huge difference in how your trailer tows and the same weight with a high front wall will be a much less satisfactory experience. I have spoken to literally every person I have encountered in a campground towing a high wall trailer with a J35 engine and without fail they are already looking for a replacement tow vehicle. My 3,500 pop-up tows like a breeze also.

#16 ·
didn't someone say that some of the coolers were mixing a little water with the trans fluid and that was the cause of the problems with the ZF? That said a 92 Legend I had pulled a 2200 lb boat with the Acura 6 cyl no problems. Pulling more than 3500 pounds itself with a 6cyl is going to wear out that engine and drive line a lot faster than not towing, One has to drive with the understanding that they are towing. Make sure the trailer and brakes are balanced.

#24 ·
BIGTROUT1969 -- You will find a LOT of information on the Lance Owners of America website that will help you in your decisions. Basic membership is free, and you do not need to already own a Lance.

A few things to keep in mind:
• Brake controller is REQUIRED when towing more than 3000 pounds
• A weight distribution hitch (WDH) will help distribute the hitch weight to both front and rear axles. Many have sway control. You will want that, especially with a single axle trailer.
• There is more to consider than just the rated "towing capacity". Take a look at the video and spreadsheet available at Keep Your Daydream, go to "Payload"

#26 ·
BIGTROUT1969 -- You will find a LOT of information on the Lance Owners of America website that will help you in your decisions. Basic membership is free, and you do not need to already own a Lance.

A few things to keep in mind:
Brake controller is REQUIRED when towing more than 3000 pounds

This is incorrect. No question trailer brakes are a Good Idea, but electric trailer brakes are not required, and there is no universal weight limitation.

Trailer brake requirements vary by the State, and there is no specific requirement by Acura. In the great state of Texas, you can tow up to 10,000 pounds without trailer brakes. That would be a Very Bad Idea unless the tow vehicle were humongous and the road was flat, but legally OK.

Hydraulic surge brakes are the standard for boat trailers, cuz water and electricity. Surge brakes are also the standard on U-Haul trailers, cuz they wouldn't rent many trailers if the tow vehicles all had to have electric brake controllers.

Electric brakes are common on travel trailers and horse trailers. Utility trailers vary.

#25 ·
I have a 2015 Tech AWD with OEM hitch and transmission cooler. (I installed the transmission cooler prior to towing anything - seems like a good investment.).

I subsequently purchased a wakeboard boat that is basically 5000 lbs with the trailer. I was told by several boat manufacturers that hydraulic surge brakes were the standard - and that I didn’t need to install electric brakes. I also only live 2 miles from the boat dock - although it is rather hilly. Ie I won’t be pulling long distances.

My thoughts.
The MDX has more than enough power to pull 5000lbs, even in the hills. The surge brakes made the car stop as if there was nothing being towed.

But you could definitely tell there was something behind the car through turns, etc. It also caused a fair amount of squeezing in the suspension.

Ultimately, I decided not to take the chance - it’s definitely got to be hard on the transmission and suspension. So I bought my 16yo son a used F150 and use it instead. The power isn’t any better, but the bigger wheelbase makes me feel a little more stable when towing.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I haven't towed anything yet, but I set up my '16 Base SH-AWD for towing, with the cooler. You should look for some of the other threads on the subject, and especially the brake controller. I bought a Tekonsha P3 intelligent controller, and mounted it with an aluminum bracket between the start button and steering wheel shaft so that the manual lever is easy to reach - no holes or fasteners into the MDX required. I do still have extra brackets if interested. The OEM wiring kit has a pigtail for the under-dash connector, and the P3 comes with a pigtail, so it is simple to interconnect the two. Tekonsha makes a cable for Honda/Acura, but it has the old wiring layout and won't work as is - it is a simple matter of swapping two wires once you know.

#28 ·
P3 brake controller, Hensley arrow WD/AS hitch, reinforced hitch (about $350 US dollars in Canada), expert set-up ($200). Did not want to buy another vehicle (Subaru Outback, Imprezza, Toyota RAV4). We are using our paid for 2011 MDX. 2006 25’Safari SE FB.

#29 ·
I tow a teardrop with my SH AWD without issue but it is nowhere near that weight. I went ahead and just installed the aux cooler over the weekend. Pretty easy job and I posted the step by step video on my youtube channel. youtube . com /c/roughriderstv

I can't post links here since I have not been around long enough but it you watch the video, you can see exactly what is involved and how easy it is.

#30 ·
Has Acura addressed the issues with transmission coolers where engine coolant and transmission fluid mixed killing both the engine and transmission in some vehicles? Were any 2018s effected or only older MYs?

If buying a brand new 2019 would you have any concerns about installing the transmission cooler, or are you confident those issues are in the past and only impact older MYs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Has Acura addressed the issues with transmission coolers where engine coolant and transmission fluid mixed killing both the engine and transmission in some vehicles? Were any 2018s effected or only older MYs?
There was no issue with mixing fluid and the cooler... The cooler only handles ATF. There is no way for the cooler to allow mixing of fluids.

You're thinking of the ATF warmer issue... Different part. Affected mostly 2016 models and only five 2017 VINs. No 2018's were affected. No reason to suspect any 2019's were affected.

If buying a brand new 2019 would you have any concerns about installing the transmission cooler, or are you confident those issues are in the past and only impact older MYs?
If your concern is mixing fluid, then no, there is no cause for concern.

Some users have reported that they can "hear" the transmission shift in certain gears with the cooler installed. I haven't seen any reports of failure or problems... Just the noise.

I don't know why you care if you are looking at buying new though.
Exactly.

#31 ·
The issue was with the transmission warmer, not cooler. The warmer is attached to every 9-speed MDX transmission. The cooler is added for towing. A limited range of MDXes is affected, which have been dealt with by giving an extended warranty for this problem. I'm pretty certain it was over before 2018 production.

The cooler installation is a bit of a PITA but straightforward. The problem is getting the ATF level correct for the larger capacity - the procedure is complex and best done by a dealer. It is possible for DIY if you do the research.

#32 ·
My bad, is the issue people complain about with the transmission cooler for 5k towing the clunking noise? Is it just the noise with no other damage or problems?

Reading on the warmer issue I see warranty is only extended if you had a defective warmer and had it replaced, and only if subsequent issues were traced back to the replacement warmer.

#33 ·
AFAIK the clunking complaint is the only known issue with the cooler.

Acura sent everyone with an MDX in the affected production range a letter extending the warranty. I got one and have not complained of a problem. I don't know why you care if you are looking at buying new though.

#36 ·
If the issue was still ongoing then buying new would be a concern. Per other posts above the issue was addressed and doesn't effect majority of 2017s, any 2018s or 2019s. That is the information I was looking for.

So knowing that the issue was addressed in 2017 MY then the answer is no, I don't need to be concerned with new 2019s having the warmer issue.

In regards to the extended warranty to impacted owners, I've read if you look at the fine print it isn't a blanket extension, it only applies IF you had a defective warmer and had it replaced, and only then if you experience a subsequent failure down the road that can be tracked back to the warmer they replaced. Meaning if your failure has nothing to do with the replacement warmer and you are outside standard warranty you are on your own.

#38 ·
I did the OEM install of the transmission cooler over the weekend. Here is how it all connects up.

https://youtu.be/PBVZZYgAPjM

It's not really that hard and can be done with basic tools.

#46 ·
If you got the letter, your MDX was identified as being one that was built using an ATF warmer from a production batch that was identified as suspect. The ATF warmers ( fluid-to-fluid heat exchangers ) were manufactured by Dana Corp. There were some early failures of the ZF 9HP in MDXs and Pilots that were traced to this issue, and Honda/Acura eventually developed a pressure testing procedure to validate the ATF warmers installed in customer vehicles, rather than doing a whole-sale recall to replace all the suspect warmers and transmissions.

And they developed a tiered approach to replacement of the warmer, the warmer + transmission, or warmer + trans + engine block depending on whether the warmer was detected to be leaking, and whether the engine had ever overheated because of ATF/coolant mixing. If leaking is detected but the engine has never overheated, the vehicle gets warmer + trans and a thorough flushing of the engine coolant circuit.

But some vehicles got new transmissions before the testing protocol was in place, either because of strange noises or complete failure, and they might still have contamination of the engine cooling system, since the flushing procedure had not been used.

So there are multiple potential problems linked to warmers from the suspect batch. But not all of the warmers from the bad batch have failed, and maybe only a small fraction will ever fail. But considering the consequences of failure include failure of the transmission and engine, Honda/Acura was/is facing a nightmare scenario that would most likely escalate to class action legal action if they did not offer some level of protection to owners of vehicles that are at risk.

Anyway, there appear to be multiple versions of THE LETTER depending on what, if anything, was done to the vehicle before a testing and repair protocol was developed, and whether the warmer has been pressure tested.

My now-retired ( for me ) 2016 Pilot Touring got a new trans, because of noise, before the procedures were in place, so I have a small collection of LETTERS archived in a file I have not yet purged. I guess I am special. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just glad our 2014 MDX has the 6-speed. So if it fails it will be because of the torque converter or something else instead of the ATF warmer... ?

#47 ·
Just wondering what the OP ended up going with? We're looking for a replacement vehicle that will be used for our daily driver and also tow our travel trailer which is almost the same in regards to weight, etc.

We're looking at used, not new, and pretty much narrowed it down to either an MDX, Pilot or Jeep Grand Cherokee...

#50 ·
The zf9s ATF fill level SOP requires us to hook it up to Honda HDS, run it through the gears then drive with wheels in the air for a certain amount of time to run the ATF to proper temp. You can then release the fill plug to have any excess leak out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Update on towing a 4500 lb. trailer with a 2014:

I installed a factory cooler kit and a weight distributing hitch. Set the tongue weight to 550 lbs. That is 12% of the trailer weight (recommended is 12 to 15%). I didn't want to put over 550 lbs. As you can see in the photo, even with that there was some squat in the rear.

Results = Not good. Since both the trailer and the MDX weight just about the same, it ended up as a case of the tail wagging the dog. We took a 7200 mile trip from Florida to the Western states. Above about 55 MPH the rig was quite unstable, and very tricky to drive when we hit those nasty Western winds. It was bad enough that we considered abandoning the trip, but finally just continued at 55 MPH. I believe that a combination of independent rear suspension with soft springs was the primary reason for the tail sway.

I don't want to replace the MDX with a truck, so we have put the trailer up for sale.

Based on my experience, I would recommend limiting tow weight to under 3800 lbs. unless you are only driving close to home.

#65 ·
Update on towing a 4500 lb. trailer with a 2014:

I installed a factory cooler kit and a weight distributing hitch. Set the tongue weight to 550 lbs. That is 12% of the trailer weight (recommended is 12 to 15%). I didn't want to put over 550 lbs. As you can see in the photo, even with that there was some squat in the rear.

Results = Not good. Since both the trailer and the MDX weight just about the same, it ended up as a case of the tail wagging the dog. We took a 7200 mile trip from Florida to the Western states. Above about 55 MPH the rig was quite unstable, and very tricky to drive when we hit those nasty Western winds. It was bad enough that we considered abandoning the trip, but finally just continued at 55 MPH. I believe that a combination of independent rear suspension with soft springs was the primary reason for the tail sway.

I don't want to replace the MDX with a truck, so we have put the trailer up for sale.

Based on my experience, I would recommend limiting tow weight to under 3800 lbs. unless you are only driving close to home.

This past September we did a 6000 mile trip from Ohio to the Oregon coast and Northern California and back home. We also did not want to buy a truck and ours was a second generation 2011 MDX with the set up done by CanAm in London Ontario. Our trailer was a 2006 25’ FB Airstream Safari and it did come with a Hensley Arrow hitch. We had reinforcement to our vehicles receiving hitch to help with the weight distribution and to support the heavy tongue weight. Now it was just the two of us and we did pack light.

The MDX performed superbly and we had no problems towing our travel trailer. We mapped out our routes ahead of time and shared the driving. Unconventional (for U.S.) - yes. Unheard of - no. CanAm has done more than 2000 set-ups using the Oddessy, Ridgeline, Pilot, MDX platform. Natural environment Sky Transport Vehicle Ecoregion
Transport Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Travel trailer
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Transport

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.