Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are currently looking at an '03 MDX and would like to know if any of you folks tow your MDX behind a motor coach. We checked with Acura, the Dealer and the Owners Manual and all indicate the MDX is capable of being towed with all four wheel on the ground, also referred to as 'dingy towing'. I would appreciate any information from those that tow their MDX and if you have encountered any problems. TIA

Regards,
Al

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I believe in previous threads, it was stated that you could not tow the X. . . many have stated that it had to be towed on a flatbed.

As usual, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check the owners manual

If it can be towed it will give instructions.
Usually there is a set of prep instructions and a maximum milage or time before you have to re-run he prep.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I don't have a motor coach, but I know it can be done as just this week I saw a large motor coach towing an X just as you describe, "dingy style" all four wheels on the ground. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I tow my MDX behind my motor home. It may only be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. You have to start the engine before towing and shift through the gears, then run in neutral for 3 minutes. You must repeat this procedure every 8 hours, and can't exceed 65 mph (while towing). :1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oceanMDX said:
I tow my MDX behind my motor home....., and can't exceed 65 mph (while towing). :1:
OceanMDX,
Thank you for your reply. I tried to cover all the bases to make sure the X was flat towable before I took the next step. We are on the road 6-7 months/yr. with the coach, and a toad (for those not familiar with RVing terms, a toad is slang for..towed vehicle), is essential. I asked mainly because I was curious as to whether anyone had experienced any problems while towing the X.

As you know, it's difficult to maintain 65 mph while decending a long steep grade. Although I use the Jake Brake, its not easy to keep a 20 ton coach with a 4,500 lb toad pushing behind at 65 mph. Have you ever had the X over 65 while being towed, if so, for how long, any problems? Thanks

Thank you all for your help. This is a great forum.

Al P.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've paid pretty strict attention to the 65 mph limit because Acura warns that going over that speed will cause severe transmission damage. I agree with you that nowadays a 65 mph limit is a little unrealistic, but I don't need transmission problems either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted Acura Customer support and asked this question. The answer I got was kind of the 'party line'

They stated that the owner's manual states the MDX should not be towed at more than 65mph, but the person I spoke to indicated this was the 'official' position and that he realized it would be almost impossible to never excede 65mph and that the transmission was unlikely to explode at 66 mph.

We both agreed that no one would ever know if that speed was exceded.

I'm still confused and will do my best to maintain 65mph or less once I get on the road.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts