Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - Looking for some input. I am currently in the market for small hybrid travel trailer. 19 foot hybrid style. I have a specific one I am targeting just curious on anyone's thoughts on towing. Two part question:

1) I have an opportunity to get it this weekend. I currently do not have the ATF cooler or brake controls on my MDX. Dry weight (and it will be dry and empty) is 3620? The tow will be 130 miles and relatively flat all highway. Average elevation is likely less than 1000 ft. I will not have distribution hitch there will be two of us in the car. Hitch weight is 405. Thoughts on this one time tow? Will I be okay if I keep speed down?

2)Long term plan is to have the ATF cooler installed and add a weight distribution hitch. Again dry weight is 3620 and GVWR is 4950, which puts me at the max. I cant see ever having 1300 pounds of gear in the camper but on quick calculations 750 or so is a reasonable guess. We would travel with two adults a child and a dog (so basically 3 adults worth of weight). We would use it 5 times a year with average round trip being 250-300 miles. Anyone towing anything similar and how is their experience? Am I pushing the limits here?

Thanks for any input
Sean

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are lots of previous threads here on the subject. Just put the word "tow" or "towing" in the search bar above top center and browse through them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are lots of previous threads here on the subject. Just put the word "tow" or "towing" in the search bar above top center and browse through them.
Thanks I did try that most of today and found some helpful but no specific to towing a trailer with this sort of rating. And also answering the question of the one time over weight tow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey all - Looking for some input. I am currently in the market for small hybrid travel trailer. 19 foot hybrid style. I have a specific one I am targeting just curious on anyone's thoughts on towing. Two part question:

1) I have an opportunity to get it this weekend. I currently do not have the ATF cooler or brake controls on my MDX. Dry weight (and it will be dry and empty) is 3620? The tow will be 130 miles and relatively flat all highway. Average elevation is likely less than 1000 ft. I will not have distribution hitch there will be two of us in the car. Hitch weight is 405. Thoughts on this one time tow? Will I be okay if I keep speed down?

2)Long term plan is to have the ATF cooler installed and add a weight distribution hitch. Again dry weight is 3620 and GVWR is 4950, which puts me at the max. I cant see ever having 1300 pounds of gear in the camper but on quick calculations 750 or so is a reasonable guess. We would travel with two adults a child and a dog (so basically 3 adults worth of weight). We would use it 5 times a year with average round trip being 250-300 miles. Anyone towing anything similar and how is their experience? Am I pushing the limits here?

Thanks for any input
Sean
We are towing above your specs but also use a Hensley Arrow hitch and the set up was done by Can Am of London, Ontario. They added reinforcement to our receiving hitch which made a big difference in the overall stability of the rig. Done right you will be fine! You would not need the reinforcement done to your hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thoughts on your one time tow...is it worth a transmission or your life? 130 miles is far enough to overheat the trans and 3600 lbs with no trailer brakes isn't safe. People don't give a sh!t how careful you are being and will pull in front of you and slow down bc they are texting. I'm not saying this bc I am a strict rule follower. I've towed all over the country technically above the gross combined limit of my Honda Odyssey, but with all the proper equipment and not over on any one axle. I was also pulling a pop-up camper that the profile was lower than the tow car, so no additional frontal area. I've towed an 1,800 lb U-Haul that pulled harder than my 3,500 lb pop-up, so that tall trailer will really put a strain on the trans. I would also up my trans fluid intervals to every 15K if I were you even with the cooler added. I highly suggest a Tru-Cool 4454 cooler. Great size and has a cold fluid bypass to allow the trans to come up to operating temp before circulating through the cooler.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We are towing above your specs but also use a Hensley Arrow hitch and the set up was done by Can Am of London, Ontario. They added reinforcement to our receiving hitch which made a big difference in the overall stability of the rig. Done right you will be fine! You would not need the reinforcement done to your hitch

IMG_6257.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thoughts on your one time tow...is it worth a transmission or your life? 130 miles is far enough to overheat the trans and 3600 lbs with no trailer brakes isn't safe. People don't give a sh!t how careful you are being and will pull in front of you and slow down bc they are texting. I'm not saying this bc I am a strict rule follower. I've towed all over the country technically above the gross combined limit of my Honda Odyssey, but with all the proper equipment and not over on any one axle. I was also pulling a pop-up camper that the profile was lower than the tow car, so no additional frontal area. I've towed an 1,800 lb U-Haul that pulled harder than my 3,500 lb pop-up, so that tall trailer will really put a strain on the trans. I would also up my trans fluid intervals to every 15K if I were you even with the cooler added. I highly suggest a Tru-Cool 4454 cooler. Great size and has a cold fluid bypass to allow the trans to come up to operating temp before circulating through the cooler.

Thanks helpful feedback and appropriate. I appreciate the honesty. Exactly what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thanks for any input
Sean
You definitely need trailer brakes! Missed that part

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If I have this harness is there any wiring that needs to be done from the back of the car to the front? Or is there existing wiring already located under dash to tie these in to?

Just remembered it came with the OEM hitch and realizing it may be very simple to install a brake controller. I guess I assumed I had to route a wire from the back of the car to the front to do this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What you have there is a standard 4 pin set up to wire a 4 way flat plug from the trailer connector at the rear. They would have expected any 4 way flat plug to come with enough length to reach your trailer by just letting the tailgate close on the wiring running out the back hatch. For a camping trailer you need a wire for the brake controller and a wire for the charge line to charge your camper battery while you drive in addition to the 4 you have there. Most campers use a 7 way Bargeman trailer plug. The 7th wire is typically not used unless your camper has back up lights (very rare).

Add rvitch.com or popupportal.com to your bookmarks and set up a user profile there the same as you did here. Lots of good info and helpful folks on those sites. Probably better/more knowledgeable folks on towing questions too. I don't know if your X is pre-wired for the brake controller as some trucks are (probably not or there would be at least 5 wires in that pigtail) where there is a connector under the dash that is pretty much plug and play or not. If not it can be wired direct. I have not wired my X yet, but did my Ody. I got power for my brake controller using an "add-a-fuse" in the fuse block near the e-brake then ran the brake wire down the drivers side under the door sills then under the side trim panels and out thru the drivers side tail light. The battery charge line needs to come straight from the battery with 10ga wire and and a 30 amp fuse right by the battery. The 10ga wire is important because of the distance you are running the line and the voltage drop that will occur if you use thinner wire. You'll need to find a spot to get through the firewall or you can come through the shift cable boot that should be just behind the kick panel near the gas pedal. Make sure you run any wire that is outside the car in loom to protect it from chaffing/shorting and secure it with wire ties every 12-18". Personally I will only solder and shrink wrap connections rather than using any kind of Scotch-Lock or butt connectors and have never had a wiring failure even after several hundred thousand miles. A little it of extra effort up front saves major headaches tracking wiring issues later and quite frankly it's nearly impossible to find a shop that doesn't short cut that stuff.

If you really don't want to do it yourself have a hitch shop or an RV dealer do it for you and insist on no Scotch Locks or butt connectors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Pkrface
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing