Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Towing a Pontoon and Reliability

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  AcuraAddicted 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 mdx with 152k miles on it.
Serviced regularly, timing belt change, etc...
The car runs great.

I pull a 20' pontoon occasionally, about 10 times per year, gross weight with trailer is about 3,300 lbs. So not hitting the 5k max towing capacity.
We just took a fishing trip that required pulling the boat through the Ozarks.

I manually shift gears while towing to help tow the boat up hills...hit 4k RPM sometimes. This car pulls the boat pretty well, just can't go too fast and often am traveling below speed limit not to stress the car too much.

I absolutely love this mdx, and have no need for a 2019 or 2020 mdx.
However, I am considering selling the mdx and getting a full size truck since it would make more sense pulling the boat.

If decide to keep the mdx, any recommendations on what I should do to make sure the car is able to keep up with towing the boat?
New/heavy duty transmission is an option, but I think at thst cost it makes more sense to sell and get a truck.

See less See more
#3 ·
If decide to keep the mdx, any recommendations on what I should do to make sure the car is able to keep up with towing the boat?
If you installed a factory hitch, you probably already have an additional tranny cooler, but perhaps you can think of upgrading the coolers (especially if you never changed a radiator, which means it's about to fail on you any minute now given the car is 9yo. It's best to do that as a preventative measure before you get a chance to ruin your transmission by mixing in coolant and ATF.

New/heavy duty transmission is an option
There is no heavy duty transmission for the MDX to my knowledge. And a new one will cost a fortune, it's not worth it.

#5 ·
If you installed a factory hitch, you probably already have an additional tranny cooler, but perhaps you can think of upgrading the coolers (especially if you never changed a radiator, which means it's about to fail on you any minute now given the car is 9yo. It's best to do that as a preventative measure before you get a chance to ruin your transmission by mixing in coolant and ATF.

There is no heavy duty transmission for the MDX to my knowledge. And a new one will cost a fortune, it's not worth it.
I thought the issues with mixing ATF and coolant came on earlier models? What were the year models affected?

#4 ·
+1 for no heavier transmission available. More cooling capacity will do wonders for transmission life though and that is pretty cheap, as in less than $100 for DIY. That and fresh fluid annually.

#9 ·
Extra transmission cooler came standard for that model year, not as an option. Also engine was a 3.7L 300 hp V6. 6 speed. With the third generation Acura responded to the truck towing market by making it an option and going to the 3.5L 9 speed. Unfortunate on my opinion. Original towing tests performed towing 5000 lbs in Death Valley with 120 degree temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
This is my account from a few years ago...could not find the credentials...

I am leaning towards keeping the MDX and replacing the radiator and transmission cooler.

Hayden seems to be a common choice for the MDX.
Any particular size recommended - Hayden 679 or 678?
Hayden is around $50 while OEM is a little less than $200.
Is the Hayden a better option over OEM?

This looks like quite the setup for towing:

#12 ·
2011 Acura MDX - no need for another cooler, Acura made sure of it. Cooler Is not always better. My Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 has a service advisory not to add external cooler as it is finding they as cooling ATF fluid below operating range temps. Modern transmissions are to designed to operate within a temperate range.

With a rated towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, the MDX can pull a boat or camper trailer with confidence. Standard towing equipment includes a high-capacity radiator with twin 160-watt electric cooling fans, an automatic transmission fluid cooler, a heavy-duty power-steering cooler and pre-wiring for an electric brake controller. A Towing Package is available as dealer-installed accessory and includes a Class III receiver assembly, hitch, ball and wiring harness.
One of Acura's durability tests involved towing a 5,000-pound trailer in Death Valley National Park during summer, including repeated climbs up Townes Pass and Daylight Pass with outside air temperatures between 113- and 120-degrees F. Testers also targeted the toughest boat ramp they could find - at Shasta Lake in Northern California - where the launch ramp is extremely steep, and its length varies depending on the lake level. They also proved the MDX trailer-pulling skills elsewhere in California as well as in Kentucky and West Virginia.

#13 ·
To replace the OEM radiator and transmission cooler...

Got a quote from Acura dealership and a local honda/acura specialized mechanic shop.
Called another local mechanic (not specialized) that is highly rated and recommended by people.I explained the reason I am wanting to do preventative maintenance (replace radiator and transmission cooler) is because I tow 4000 lbs several times per year for several hours at a time. I was shocked when they said they would not recommend doing this type of preventative maintenance unless I just want to spend money. I again explained the importance of keeping the transmission fluid cool while towing to help prevent trans failure.

Anyone ever heard of a mechanic not recommending preventative maintenance due to towing? Or just preventative maintenance to help extend the life of a car with 150+K miles?

#14 ·
I was shocked when they said they would not recommend doing this type of preventative maintenance unless I just want to spend money.
Do not come back to that shop. This just means they are not interested in preventative maintenance, but rather the expensive fix when the breakage happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.