Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I have a 2014 MDX that I am planning to pull my Donzi Classic 22 with from Toronto to Flordia. I have a tandem trailer with surge brakes. The entire load is under the 5k towing limit but I thought I would see if anyone has any experience with this and what I should be aware of if anything.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Being under the 5K max trailer weight is only part of the equation. Do you know what the tongue weigh is? There is a limit on that based on what class of hitch you are planning to use.

What about your X, does it have an external heavy duty trans oil cooler or just the stock job? You trans will get hot pulling at near max load that long.

What about you driving style? While I don't own an X as new as yours, I can only imagine you are not suppose to tow in high gear, so read the owners manual.

In my opinion drive slower, for two reasons, 1. trying to do 75 or worse yet faster down the freeway pulling a boat at the limit of the specifications is very hard on your drive-train, if you back down 10 to 15 miles an hour off freeway speeds, you will save a lot of wear, and possibly avoid a breakdown. 2. You will need the stopping distance, the more you weigh, regardless of breaks on the trailer or not, the longer it takes to stop.

·
Registered
942 Posts
This is what I tow.............

3000 lbs. No problem with the power, but it does want to sway a bit when I get trucks passing me if I'm driving above 62 MPH. At 70 MPH the sway is pretty scary.

I think that having independent rear suspension makes it worse than a vehicle with a solid rear axle, based on my previous towing experience.

One problem with surge brakes vs. electric is that you cannot apply the trailer brakes only, which is the procedure when the trailer starts to sway.

Personally, I would not commit to a long trip without doing a good test run in various conditions.

Be aware that if your trailer has "ST" tires, they are rated for a max. speed of 65 MPH.

Be safe........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluepill, I use an anti-sway bar to pull my 2,800 pound Aliner and have no problems at all with sway due to passing trucks or crosswinds. That said, I notice that you have a dirt bike mounted to the back of your Flagstaff which is probably the reason you're experiencing the sway. If you're not already using an anti-sway bar I'd suggest you give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We towed our 19' boat on a single axle trailer (wt. with trailer was approx 3900 lbs) from NJ to NC in a 2013 MDX that we leased without any problems. Haven't had a chance to tow using the 2016 MDX that we bought since we're still waiting for the transmission cooler part which is on backorder...but guessing it would handle it without any issues. Like others stated, I would do some test runs, esp. up fairly steep inclines if you'll be traveling through the mountains. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@Boatpull

first and foremost - post up a pic of that Donzi hitched to the X! haha, It's always awesome to see fellow drivers actually use their MDX beyond the school run..

Lets talk about limits: 5K Trailer and 500# Tongue weight (that's WITH the puny little Acura oil cooler.) If you don't have an oil cooler, buy and install one (a performance cooler will be 1/4 the price of OEM btw, and cool better overall)

Echoing some others' - if you can get a load balancing hitch & sway bar setup, better safe than in a ditch; I towed a ~5k, tandem trailer, surge brakes (not working we found out) boat down to the river (short drive though hilly) and didn't see a need for anything beyond oem parts, however with the mileage you plan to drive, might as well be ahead of the game.

be safe and get some photos in that clear blue sea in Florida!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts