Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Detailing Gurus -

I hope you won't throw me off this web site if I confess that I care PRIMARILY about protecting my car's paint, and much less about an incredibly beautiful shine (I'm not saying that I would be happy driving around with a burlap sack wrapped around the car to protect it; I do appreciate a shiny and beautifully clean car -- but I am saying that I don't care much about achieving a "show room finish," with absolutely no swirl marks). That said, does it really matter what cotton towels I use to apply Zaino?

And pardon my complete ignorance in matters of car cleaning: are chamois cloths good for any applications? I haven't read any mention of them?

Thanks for your patience with this novice....

Sincerely,

Bobby Sandler

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Zaino will do a great job of "protecting" your paintjob, which you say is your primary concern. It'll even protect the scratches and swirls from crappy towels :)

Just get the Royal Velvet irregulars, in white, here:

http://www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com/royalvelvet.html

BTW you don't mention what color your car is...darker colors show scratches/swirls/flaws more than lighter colors. If you have white, then it probably doesn't matter. Then again, the outlet prices are not much more $ (if at all) than a crappy towel elsewhere...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Worm -

Thanks for the link to the Fieldcrest towels.

Before I posted my question about towels, I made an appointment with an auto detailer to come to my house this coming Monday (4-22-02), to give my new MDX (Granite Green) it's first bath in Dawn detergent, and then apply its first coats of Zaino. (I spoke with someone at Zaino, and he suggested just the Z2, Z7, Claybar and ZFX.) The detailer that is coming to do the work has never seen Zaino before. I told him I wanted to buy some Fieldcrest, 100% cotton towels for the job, and he said he would buy some new, white cotton towels at a janitorial supply house, but that he didn't think it would matter which towels he used. (Can you imagine that!? You guys have higher standards than the run-of-the-mill detailer. I respect you for that, and am grateful that I have this website to read your advice about caring for my car.)

So, now that you've given me the link to inexpensive Fieldcrest towels, should I postpone the appointment with the detailer? Will the first coats of Zaino be the most important ones, and will the inferior towels make all subsequent coats look less than they should or could? Or can I have the detailer go ahead with the job, knowing that I can put on better coats in the future, with the Fieldcrest Towels?

Once again, thanks for your reply,

Bobby

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bobby, sure no problem using whatever towels the detailers scrounges up at the janitorial supply store........

But don't be surprised if you have to invite him back again to get out the potential spider scratches or worse that he put on your X.

I don't know the guy, but if he supposedly is a professional detailer and does not know the difference between 100% cotton towels and janitorial supply towels and never applied Zaino before (implying he is unfamiliar with polymer-based "waxes" like Zaino and Klasse), he wouldn't come within a mile of my X.

Do it right the first time, every time.....ya got the Zaino.....now do it yourself or get a more experienced detailer.

OK, I will get off my Zainobox, now....

:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
In all fairness to professional detailers, most don't know about Klasse or Zaino -- or don't talk about them anyway -- because as polymers they last significantly longer than carnauba waxes. Result? Less business. Plus, the carnaubas tend to haze and buff immediately whereas the polymers typically need some cure time. Result? Takes longer to detail a car. Finally, the carnaubas are a 1-coat-and-done, whereas the best results and protection from a polymer is from layering.

The not-100%-cotton-towels might be "OK" with the normal detailing drill since that might include a glaze to fill scratches and swirls...including those "installed" with the not-100%-cotton-towels.

Problem w/Zaino is that it REALLY shows the car's finish, whether the finish is good or bad. Which is why I made my somewhat-wry comment about it protecting the scrathes/swirls from crappy towels.

Of course, assuming the janitorial towels are clean, they're probably no worse than what your dealer did during prep with those towels that were stored on the ground and used on the dozen cars before yours. :)

BTW, I'd be inclined to use z5 for the first few coats.

Up to you!

ps - what happened to Steve P? South Bay too far for Marin I guess?

pps - how much are you paying the detailer? I might make myself available Monday and could bring my own towels ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Worm --

You smile and wink when you express the possibility of coming to beautiful Marin with your own towels? But why not make it real?

I would love to have your expert councel, and be shown the master's way of applying Zaino. Who knows, you might turn me into a neat-freak (my wife will love you for it).

The detailer said he would charge me about $75. to wash the car and apply at least one coat of Zaino (with his brand new, crappy towels). I figure you must be worth at least twice that. I know you were kidding about coming, but I'd be happy to pay you double what the detailer was going to charge, and I'd still consider that you were doing me a favor. I don't know where you live, or what your situation is, but think about it.

The car is looking pretty dusty and dirty right now, so we could take before and after digital photos (with my new 4 Megapixel camera), and post pictures of your good work on this website.

How about it? If you say no, I'll have to fly Octavian out from Texas, and he may not be willing to bring his own towels.

Bobby:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Octavian doesn't provide towels, but you do get a free set of bullhorns with a full detail :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh, no, Worm, that was LAST month's special.....just like Tim, I gotta change my specials to keep y'all interested.

THIS month's special for flying me out to beautiful Marin county is a free Texas gun rack, custom made for your X.....you provide the guns, though, I can't get them thru security.

If guns are not your schtick, for June I offer a complete, ready made Fire Ant Farm for you to amuse your friends and annoy the hell out of your neighbors. All you do is shake vigorously and heave over your fence.....and watch 'em scatter (both the ants AND your neighbors)......ha he hee ho ho.....let me tell you, it's a blast!

But, now, please, let us all bow our heads in prayer for all us Texans.....

> Bless this house, oh Lord, we cry,
> Please keep it cool in mid-July.
> Bless the walls where termites dine,
> While ants and roaches march in time.
> Bless our yard where spiders pass
> Fire ant castles in the grass.
> Bless the garage, a home to please-
> Carpenter beetles, ticks and fleas.
> Bless the love bugs, two by two,
> The gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.
> Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
> In Texas, Lord, you've put them all!
> But this is home, and here we'll stay,
> So thank you Lord, for INSECT SPRAY!!

Diazinon special for July, anyone?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bobby - personally, I would cancel the detailer.
reasons?

the towel thing first off -
and if he is only charging $75 for dawn wash, then clay, then re-wash - then a ZFX'd application (which should be 2 coats from a mixed bottle, at least) - he wont be a happy camper - and that to me smells like trouble as far as quality. Also, he wont be familiar
(as mentioned above) and the results may not be what they should be.

Now, its a little pricey to fly me in from Toronto :D - BUT
I have made up a user guide that is very "first-timer" friendly. Most of my customers are new to decent car care and zaino - so I start from the beginning. It is a combo of personal use , zaino directions and tips from the various forums I visit. (also, its a work in progress and it does not cover all products yet - but we can get by that easy enough)

If you email me - [email protected] , I'd gladly email it you you ( it is 6 printed pages in Word format) . Once you have read it through, i would be glad to answer any questions you emailed me back with, or posted here about it.

I dont send it though, unless you specifically ask for it, cause I wont send any unsolicited mail to any address on a forum I belong to.

cheers . . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't believe what terrific individuals are on this web site!

I get great advice and information almost instantly, every time I have questions (and now, an offer from a Zaino distributor to send me detailed instructions -- which I desperately need -- on how to apply his product).

Thanks to all of you who have helped me, on several threads already.

Bobby:D

P.S. (to the Zaino distributor):
I sent you a private email.

·
Registered
747 Posts
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!

I gotta know:

*Did Worm quit his dayjob, leave his house, $$, kids and wife (in that order) to take up the towel and preach Zaino to the masses?
*Did Octavian drop the bullhorn and exchange his brown iced tea for the red herbal iced tea in beautiful California?
*Did Homer offer all Acuramdx.org members specials on their Zaino purchases regardless of location?

Rob ;)

(BTW Bobby--good move asking these guys before going on--they're the pros! Also, seems to me that even if a gleaming finish isn't what you're looking for, application of Zaino is still of utmost importance for true paint protection.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discounts ?! ? ! sure - if you live in my territory and spend $1000 on a start-up order :D :eek:

Bobby - did you get the reply to your mail?
I get so many emails when i hit the screen in the morning, that i cant recall them all -

and Robyjo - the protection is the unsung hereo of the Zaino line-up. I value it as much as the shine - sometimes more when i get too busy to do the car - i know its still there for quite a while, and i can get back at it when things are calmer . . .

oddly enough, its busy season up here in the great white north - spring and all - so i often have little time to take care of my own cars. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In what order? And how do you remove sap?

Dennis,

I'm going to post my questions about applying Zaino for the first time, so that anyone who is in the same situation as I am, can benefit from your (or anyone else's) answers.

I'm a little confused about where to start. The instructions that came from Zaino, with my purchase, say to claybar the car FIRST, while lubricating it with diluted Z7 from a spray bottle. Then, it says to wash the car with Dawn detergent.

My car is dirty. It even has some tree sap on it. Shouldn't I wash the sap off of it and give it a good washing in Dawn first, and then use the claybar?

And do you know how to remove sap?

As I understand the instructions, this is the order I should follow:

1. Clay bar the car while lubricating surface with diluted Z7.
2. Wash the car with Dawn.
3. Wash the car with Z7 Zaino.
4. Dry the car with my Fieldcrest "Charisma" towels.
5. Apply Z2 Zaino mixed with ZFX.
6. When the Zaino is dry, wipe it off with more clean towels.
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for up to three coats.

Is that the right order?

Or do I need to wash the car with Dawn first, then claybar?

And if I wash the car with Dawn first, then claybar, do I Z7 after that?

Thanks,

Bobby
:confused:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bobby, don't feel bad....the instructions are quite nebulous on the points you mentioned.....here is what I would do....

1. Dawn it - get as much crud as you can off and start with a clean car

2. Claybar it - (with Z7 lube) it will remove most of your other crud - I have removed what I think was tree sap with the bar but not all tree sap may be created equal....there have been some posts on this topic on this site on alternatives

3. Was it with Z7

4. Dry with your new (but wash 'em first and take labels off towels)

4. Z2 it - with ZFX mixed in

5. Wait and wipe

6. Optional - Z6 (but highly recommended at least after last coat)

7. Repeat 4 - 6 until your arm falls off

That's it.....now, of course, you have to take pictures and share them with all of us!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah - what he said ! :)

all that typing saved - Thanks . . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Octavian, for the instructions and encouragement, and thanks, Dennis, for the vote of affirmation.

I'm still waiting for my new towels to arrive (I ordered them from the Fieldcrest Outlet on line), and I'll probably get some tree sap remover to have on hand, in case I have too much sap for the clay bar to handle.

I promise to take before and after pictures (but I may have to start a whole new thread on how to post the photos after I take them).

Bobby

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just claybarred my wife's Ody today.....these claybars are big sapsuckers, so you should have no problem.

Good thing I had a spare claybar though. I was having problems mashing down the claybar so it would fit into my handy dandy form-fitting wrist claybar applicator pad, so I put it on my tool bench and hammered the hell out of it.

Problem was the clay bar snarfed up the wood chips from the pressed wood bench. This would not be so good on my car.....can we all say "sandpaper"? Good, I knew we could.

So I whipped out my spare claybar and did it. Disappointing though. Hardly anything came out of the Ody. I was hoping for huge chucks of stuff, to make me feel that I accomplished something, but noooooooooooooooooo!

Anyway, did 2 coats of Z2 (ZFX enhanced). Looks great. Keep us posted Bobby!;)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Worm thanks for the link

I just noticed this thread, and I've been going nuts looking for a website to buy towels and just saw your link and bought about $50 dollars worth. I just zaino'ed my MDX and my 2000 Maxima SE and they look great. I used the clay bar bar for the first time on both cars and used the excellerator also for the first time and they were both excellent. As always zaino comes thru with excellent results. I would of posted pic's but it just got dark as I finished, and figured everyone is probably sick of my pic's at this point. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The depth of my ignorance...

Dear Detailers,

Sorry for the slight shift in subject here, but I don't want to start a new thread just to highlight the depth of my ignorance of car washing techniques.

I now have my towels (3 Charisma Bath Sheets, and 4 Royal Velvet Hand Towels -- which have just been washed with liquid laundry soap and hang dried), my dawn, isopropyl alcohol, Zaino Z7. Claybar, Z2 and ZFX. I have a large driveway, stepladders, multiple hoses (with hot and cold water if I want), and the desire to get started on my GG MDX. But each step of the way seems to bring another question.

Are the towels just for drying? Or do I use a towel to apply the dawn? In other words (don't laugh, I really have never known the correct way to wash a car), how do I apply the soap and rinse it off? With a sponge? With my bedsheets? With my wife's lingerie?

Please advise.

(What Eliza Doolittle was to the English language, I am to car detailing.)

Bobby

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oooooh, kinda kinky if you ask me....wife's lingerie.....they will work, as long as you use the all cotton variety. And avoid anything with wires in them.:D

I presume you have already have clayed the car, now you wanna wash it.

I personally use a wash mitt, but never fear, you have most everything you need. Spray X. Get Dawn. Water. Bucket. Mix about 1oz of Dawn per gallon.

Fold one of your cotton hand towels into a pad. Dip into bucket and wash X all over. Rinse thoroughly. If in sun, wash one section at a time, then rinse.

Use large cotton towels to dry thoroughly. Then do your Zaino routine, described previously.

One question, though. Didn't notice if ya get some Z6? (Spray glosser).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts