Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow MDXers...

I want to tow my 2008CRV(Curb weight 3400lb) with my 2014 MDX AWD.
Its a 1000miles move, Canada --> USA
Plan to use the uHaul car dolly(2000lbs).
Just wondering what is the tow math to consider here......feasible or not?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well strictly on the numbers, even if you have the tow package installed, you’re at 5400lbs. That’s over the limit of what is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Fellow MDXers...

I want to tow my 2008CRV(Curb weight 3400lb) with my 2014 MDX AWD.
Its a 1000miles move, Canada --> USA
Plan to use the uHaul car dolly(2000lbs).
Just wondering what is the tow math to consider here......feasible or not?

Thanks!!
5400 lbs. not including any baggage or anything. Probably not recommend.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The 2,000 lbs of trailer is what makes this not a good idea, but if you used a tow dolly that carries only the front wheels of the CRV and only weighs 750 that would be doable as long as your CRV is front wheel drive. It it is all wheel drive you don't want to tow the CRV with any wheels on the ground or you'll tear up the drive train.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely feasible depending on your hitch weight. We reinforced our MDX receiving hitch to tow our 25’ Airstream. Has about 750 lbs on the hitch. CanAm in London Ontario can do this and will give you advise.

Steve

·
Registered
189 Posts
Definitely feasible depending on your hitch weight. We reinforced our MDX receiving hitch to tow our 25’ Airstream. Has about 750 lbs on the hitch. CanAm in London Ontario can do this and will give you advise.

Steve

• The issue is not the hitch, it's the weight being pulled. That much weight is beyond the threshold and is putting a huge strain on several components. It is also past the margin of safety. Maybe if the OP was going to travel 20 miles but 1k is way too much.

·
Registered
245 Posts
750 lbs of tongue weight... how much does the TT weigh?

·
Registered
79 Posts
750 lbs of tongue weight... how much does the TT weigh?

Are dry weight is 5200 pounds. With just the two of us when we travel it’s probably more like 6500 pounds. Our payload for the MDX is about 1100 lbs. We do have a Hensley arrow hitch for the weight distribution set up by Can-Am.
IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg

This was our trip last September.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow. That’s brave! Lol. You should see the crap I’m taking over on Acurazine for pulling a 26’ TT that has a dry weight of 4434 lbs. You should come over there and post those stats and photos... deflect the heat off of me and onto you!

That weight really would push the MDX over its recommended Gross Combined Weight. How much weight are you carrying on each axle?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow. That’s brave! Lol. You should see the crap I’m taking over on Acurazine for pulling a 26’ TT that has a dry weight of 4434 lbs. You should come over there and post those stats and photos... deflect the heat off of me and onto you!

That weight really would push the MDX over its recommended Gross Combined Weight. How much weight are you carrying on each axle?

Oh, I have taken a whole lot of crap if you come over to the Airforums and read my thread titled Acura MDX Towing. Yes, it is over the recommended towing capacity of the MDX but these capacities are not based on real measurement but based more by government standards. At Can-Am RV in Ontario they do their own testing and have done over 2000 set-ups on the MDX/ Ridgeline/Odyssey/Pilot platform. they did our set up and dialed it in. Our rig has performed flawlessly on both that large 6000 mile western trip and a recent 1500 mile trip to the upper Peninsula. Our MDX is a 2011 with the transmission cooler and currently we have 125,000 miles on the odometer. So it’s really not bravery or craziness but it is unconventional. This was the vehicle we had and we were able to make it work out very well to tow the Safari. It is very stable without any sway or instability. A lot of this I attribute to the way it was set up and also using the Hensley Arrow hitch.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hensley Arrow certainly makes a nice hitch! It’s not cheap though. I have double sway control on my WDH setup and the trailer doesn’t sway on me. I do feel the trailer “pushing” the rear of the vehicle side to side in cross winds but it doesn’t result in sway nor does it really push the vehicle off course. I suspect it’s the rear suspension of the vehicle squatting some on one side or the other. A solid axle would probably make that less noticeable.

It is nice to hear from the experience of those who HAVE towed heavy with their MDX and not just those who say they would never do that or that it should never be done.

I’m still curious to know what your final axle weights were. How close to the limit on each axle are you, or is there actually a lot of wiggle room still.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hensley Arrow certainly makes a nice hitch! It’s not cheap though. I have double sway control on my WDH setup and the trailer doesn’t sway on me. I do feel the trailer “pushing” the rear of the vehicle side to side in cross winds but it doesn’t result in sway nor does it really push the vehicle off course. I suspect it’s the rear suspension of the vehicle squatting some on one side or the other. A solid axle would probably make that less noticeable.

It is nice to hear from the experience of those who HAVE towed heavy with their MDX and not just those who say they would never do that or that it should never be done.

I’m still curious to know what your final axle weights were. How close to the limit on each axle are you, or is there actually a lot of wiggle room still.

I haven’t weighed them and I was thinking I might like to do that sometime. When we first bought the airstream we got it from Traverse City Michigan and towed it to London Ontario to Can-Am. We did have the Hensley hitch but did not have the reinforcement to our receiving hitch and there was a noticeable difference in how it felt towing. It did feel like we were being pushed especially when we went off the highway down exit ramps but then again the place we bought it from didn’t have the trailer brakes that high enough and our MDX was doing most of the stopping of the trailer. We had never towed anything more than a utility trailer before so this was the first experience towing a travel trailer. I have a couple pictures of the before and after

1 - 14 of 14 Posts