Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love the MDX, the Acura engineers and designers who so brilliantly designed the vehicle really messed up with the Tow Hitch. In a day and age when most modern trailers over 3,000 lbs are equippped with trailer brakes (which require a 5-pin electrical connection), the Acura Tow Hitch only comes with a 4-pin connection! While inconvenient, this would normally just mean that we need to take our X’s to our local hitch store and have them convert the 4-pin connector to a 5-pin connector. But I’ve recently been told by my local Acura dealer that doing this will void the MDX’s powertrain warranty since Acura doesn’t make a 5-pin connector! So I’ve been left with two choices: 1) don’t tow my boat behind my MDX, or 2) convert the 4-pin connector to a 5-pin connector and run the risk of Acura not providing warranty coverage. Neither of these choices are acceptable and I’m disappointed with Acura for putting us MDX owners into this position. Why doesn't Acura understand this and correct this obvious deficiency? Any suggestions on how to manage this issue?

·
Registered
273 Posts
mshrockford said:
While I love the MDX, the Acura engineers and designers who so brilliantly designed the vehicle really messed up with the Tow Hitch. In a day and age when most modern trailers over 3,000 lbs are equippped with trailer brakes (which require a 5-pin electrical connection), the Acura Tow Hitch only comes with a 4-pin connection! While inconvenient, this would normally just mean that we need to take our X’s to our local hitch store and have them convert the 4-pin connector to a 5-pin connector. But I’ve recently been told by my local Acura dealer that doing this will void the MDX’s powertrain warranty since Acura doesn’t make a 5-pin connector! So I’ve been left with two choices: 1) don’t tow my boat behind my MDX, or 2) convert the 4-pin connector to a 5-pin connector and run the risk of Acura not providing warranty coverage. Neither of these choices are acceptable and I’m disappointed with Acura for putting us MDX owners into this position. Why doesn't Acura understand this and correct this obvious deficiency? Any suggestions on how to manage this issue?
I'll bet you that someone makes a 4 to 5 pin adapter. Search the internet, or make some calls.

My .02 cents worth!

rflagg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts