Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy second generation MDX. 2009 to 2012. We want to purchase with factory installed tow package. We intend to pull our 7x9 foot concession trailer on short(100 miles round trip) once weekly through out the summers to local festivals. This trailer weighs 2800 lbs fully loaded and ready to roll out. (Electric brakes on trailer). At only 56% of Acura's stated 5000 lb tow capacity, I'm wanting to know based on other owners experience, if this rig will maintain hi way speeds on hills and inclines. We're talking the great southern plains of Oklahoma here. I know it's supposed to be flat out here but there's some pretty hilly parts none the less. I've spent a lifetime driving trucks and hauling trailers but need someone's real world experience in this matter. Dealers word! We all know how salesmen can tell you what you want to hear. I'm looking to purchase with largest engine option of course. Also, tongue weight specifications, if any one knows. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to joining the MDX family.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The +10 MDX have the 6AT and improvements in the engine to improve its strength and longevity. All MDXs have the same 3.7L engine; but, you can add some go fast exhaust part and reflash that might give you about 25-30 extra HP with the 07-09 MDX (+10 reflash to come later). There doesn't seem to be any difference in towing capacity or tongue weight in any of the modes (07-13, base to Adv). The +10 advance model does have auto level headlights; but, not worth getting the adv just for that.

I would go for OEM hitch or double-check to ensure the aftermarket hitch can take a full size spare. It might be worth getting a MDX without a hitch and install it yourself. You never know how bad the MDX was used and abused with an existing hitch.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just to clarify, there is no "factory installed tow package". There is a dealer option that adds a hitch and the wiring. As mrgold35 noted, the OEM hitch allows for the fitment of a full-size spare (which you'll want to add) where some aftermarkets do not. It is also more integrated with the bumper and doesn't hang down as far. It's not common for you to find an MDX with a tow package installed and honestly I'd prefer to find one without. Who knows what the prior owner towed and how often. These are not trucks and if someone was towing heavy often, it will certainly impact long-term reliability.

So find the perfect MDX and then have the dealer add an OEM tow package. You're ok on total weight but just watch the tongue weight. Some of those food trailers have very heavy tongues, depending upon how the trailer is setup. I'd recommend adding weight distributing and sway gear to the hitch, particularly for the wind at highway speeds....Oklahoma plains and all. Head winds and aerodynamics of the trailer will play a big part of how hard the MDX has to work and whether or not you can keep it at highway speeds. You'll have to keep the revs up because these aren't high torque motors, but it should keep you rolling. MPG will be abysmal!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would also like to add that prior to you installing the hitch I would flush out the coolant, transmission, transfer case and rear differential fluids just to have a fresh start and do so on a yearly basis. It may seem like overkill but I am one of those who likes to over-maintain their vehicles to ensure longevity...In addition I would also flush the brake fluid and check the front pads/rotors for wear/warped rotors before towing..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there an optional ATF cooler that can be added to the Gen2 MDX? There is for the Gen3 that increases the towing capacity from 3500# to 5000#. While weight might not be an issue I have to believe that keeping the transmission cool has to help extend the life of the fluid and transmission especially for long hauls at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Is there an optional ATF cooler that can be added to the Gen2 MDX? There is for the Gen3 that increases the towing capacity from 3500# to 5000#. While weight might not be an issue I have to believe that keeping the transmission cool has to help extend the life of the fluid and transmission especially for long hauls at higher speeds.
The 07-13 MDX is suppose to already have an ATF cooler to tow the 5000lbs limit. The sh-awd system is also set with more rear bias to help with towing compared to the fwd heavy sh-awd programming of the other vehicles. It couldn't hurt to upgrade the ATF cooler to increase its effectiveness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pull an Aliner camper that also weighs 2800 pounds with my 08 and it does a great job. On long grades or steep hills the MDX will drop down a gear or two to maintain speed but it has no trouble staying in the 65-70 range or accelerating to pass other vehicles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The 07-13 MDX is suppose to already have an ATF cooler to tow the 5000lbs limit. The sh-awd system is also set with more rear bias to help with towing compared to the fwd heavy sh-awd programming of the other vehicles. It couldn't hurt to upgrade the ATF cooler to increase its effectiveness.
Would it be beneficial to add on a second air/water transmission cooler and increase the capacity by a few quarts anyways?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would also like to add that prior to you installing the hitch I would flush out the coolant, transmission, transfer case and rear differential fluids just to have a fresh start and do so on a yearly basis.
This is the best thing you can do to increase longevity and reliability. Modern fluids have come a long way that most other modifications aren't necessary as long as you're towing within a reasonable limit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tongue weight specifications, if any one knows.
Max tongue weight on the MDX is 500 lbs and that technically includes anything you have in the vehicle behind the rear axle.

I've towed about 4500 lbs and although you can definitely feel the MDX working harder to accelerate and brake the heavier load it never seems to be overly straining.

The vehicle stability assist in the MDX also helps correct trailer sway. Cant say I've ever really noticed it working but I guess that's the point.

Trailer STABILITY Assist

1 - 10 of 10 Posts