Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to stick in a dumb question but it seems that the Bose system in the touring/Nav MDX cannot be upgraded with a simple addition of better speakers. Besides adding deflector and dynamat is there anything I can do to improve sound without going to such extremes as a new system?
TWD79

Ordered 02 GG touring w/Nav.

·
Registered
217 Posts
TWD79,

Do a search for Bose.....I understand that several here have installed new speakers with good success to the Bose system. The Bose uses 2 Ohm speakers, any aftermarket will use 4, so you will lose some power. Get efficient speakers (Pioneer 3 ways or Infinity) and you will be OK . The "most correct" answer is that the amplifiers are made for 2 ohms, and a speaker upgrade is not good. In practice though, many have done it with great results. Mine is a base model, so look into the board results....

·
Registered
282 Posts
i did install infinity component speakers in the front and infinity 2 ways in the back with some improvement as long as you use dynamat with the installation. The sub is a little bit more of a problem to upgrade coz the enclosure sucks. I already put a lot of dynamat on the rear quarter panel but i still hear some rattles when i crank up the base. I'm planning on building an enclosure that fits in that little compartment where we store the 3rd row headrests and just use an aftermarket subs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<<The Bose uses 2 Ohm speakers, any aftermarket will use 4, so you will lose some power>>

Ah, so that's why I couldn't hear anything when I upgraded the speakers to the most expensive Boston Acoustic components I could find.

If I would've known this minor 2 ohm fact, I would have purchased Soundstream's 2 ohm component speakers. They seem to be made of very high quality materials and are the only 2 ohm component speakers I have ever seen. WWW.soundstream.com

As it is, I used the smallest Soundstream amps made, to power the satellites and their smallest mono amp for the sub. They both fit side by side under the driver's seat, powered with 8 ga and speakered with 16 ga (the door harness was no fun, but have you seen the power & speaker wires on the amp harness?!). I could've saved a lot of effort had I known about the Bose 2ohm speakers, but I can't complain about the sound, and the Soundstream is still more powerful (clean power of course) than the Bose running at 2ohm. I never used the fade control anyways, so I paralleled the front and rears so the 2 ch. amp gets a 2 ohm load anyhow. Work's great, but costs a lot of sweat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SPL 2 ohm speakers

Paulfung said:
<<The Bose uses 2 Ohm speakers, any aftermarket will use 4, so you will lose some power>>

Ah, so that's why I couldn't hear anything when I upgraded the speakers to the most expensive Boston Acoustic components I could find.

If I would've known this minor 2 ohm fact, I would have purchased Soundstream's 2 ohm component speakers. They seem to be made of very high quality materials and are the only 2 ohm component speakers I have ever seen. WWW.soundstream.com

As it is, I used the smallest Soundstream amps made, to power the satellites and their smallest mono amp for the sub. They both fit side by side under the driver's seat, powered with 8 ga and speakered with 16 ga (the door harness was no fun, but have you seen the power & speaker wires on the amp harness?!). I could've saved a lot of effort had I known about the Bose 2ohm speakers, but I can't complain about the sound, and the Soundstream is still more powerful (clean power of course) than the Bose running at 2ohm. I never used the fade control anyways, so I paralleled the front and rears so the 2 ch. amp gets a 2 ohm load anyhow. Work's great, but costs a lot of sweat.
I was very interested in this post and checked out the website, www.soundstream.com , the SPL speakers are 2 ohm. I'm planning to upgrade my system, but don't know squat about designing a sound system. Anybody have any idea if these speakers are any good?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Anybody have any idea if these speakers are any good?
Sorry to put it this way, but I'm not sure if you have any other choice, other than losing half the power to a 2 ohm to 4 ohm conversion. Even if the Infinitys and Pioneers people have mentioned are more efficient than others, they still shouldn't compare to a 2 ohm rated speaker set. If I were to do it again (and I never will, whew it took a lot of custom work), I would go with the SPL60G.

You might get them soon though. Soundstream just got bought out by Power Acoustik and their website just died today (been checking daily for various specs). I wonder if anyone will pick up the phone when i call in the morning? I would pick up a pair if only because if the parent company nixes the 2 ohm design, you may never, ever see this type of product again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts