Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering models. For the $2600 diff bt std and Touring, I don't see that much content. We want the roof rack, but I'll buy it and install it myself for $200. Pass seat is still power, not 8-way, tires/wheels same size, don't get 6 disk changer, no auto wipers, not as good a sound system. Don't care about memory or tilt down mirror. I just can't justify the now-$2400 diff. What am I missing? Touring wheels/tires are nicer, but still the same size, no upgrade. Still get fake wood, leather, auto-climate, etc, etc...The Toyota Sequoyia Limited, for example has tons of additional stuff (I know, more than $2600 diff prob...)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think you need to get the Touring to get the Navi. The Navi is way cool.

The roof rack is semi functional. There may be better 3rd party solutions. You'll find tons of info on the roof rack and alternatives with the Search function.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly...we were

going to get RES, but changed our minds. Now can't figure out why pay extra big bucks, for what is arguably not (IMHO) that much additional content. Just though I was missing something and wanted to get the forum's feedback.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I didn't care about NAVI, so we went with Premium (coudn't justify $2600 difference either). Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Unfortunately...

...the consensus seems to be that probably a BIG FAT CHUNK of the "Touring" upcharge goes right into the pockets of BOSE...

There ARE difference in a BUNCH of little things, some of which, admittedly are just "little touches" but since you can ONLY get 'em in the package...

The big GOTCHA is the Touring is (in 03) a MUST before they instal Navi or RES...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What besides..

renov8r said:
There ARE difference in a BUNCH of little things,

What besides different tires/wheels (but same size), memory seat, 8-way pass seat (instead of 4-way), auto wipers, Bose 6-disk, roof rack, tilt mirror,...? That's arguable only a few...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Try Search

There are several older threads that debate the merits of Touring point-by-point. You can recieve an answer much faster that way, rather than waiting for others to recreate the arguements/opinion one post at a time.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Tough call...

I wondered the same thing before I purchased mine, but in retrospect, I'm glad I did. :4:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, did searches but

I'm confused. Does the 2003 Non-touring have a power passenger seat or not. The brochure says it has a power 4-way seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I elected to get touring for one primary reason - memory seats and mirrors.:D . With a difference of almost a foot between my husband and I we really needed that. It really made me mad to have to readjust everything when I got back in to drive MY car! The other stuff was just nice extras. :4:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Strong said:
I elected to get touring for one primary reason - memory seats and mirrors.:D . With a difference of almost a foot between my husband and I we really needed that. It really made me mad to have to readjust everything when I got back in to drive MY car! The other stuff was just nice extras. :4:
AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! :cool:

·
Registered
572 Posts
My biggest regret

My biggest regret is not waiting for the Touring one I had on order and instead taking a Premium I could get a couple of weeks earlier.

My second biggest is not getting the Navi.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Acura got me on this one. I bought the Touring so I can get the Navi. It's a bit extravagant since I don't need any of the Touring package items. This was also the reason why I didn't get mine in Canada. If I didn't want the navi and don't need the Touring, I would definitely have bought the base model in Canada where its several thousand dollars cheaper. Boy, come to think of it, I'm paying a huge price for that Navi. Sigh.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To answer some of your questions concerning the passanger seat. The seat is entirely manual, no motor controls. I opted for the Premium model for the following reasons.

1) I liked the Premium weels MUCH MUCH better
2) I added a roof rack for $130 from Tim
3) The Bose did not impress me. For about $450 I will upgrade the speakers and add an amp for better sound than the Bose.
4) I was not interested in Navi which requires the Touring Package.

So $2,600 - $580 = ~$2,000 for the following
Power passenger seat(nice to have but not a necessity)
Memory seats(same as previous)
CD-changer (can add for ~$200)
Rain sensing wipers(worthless)

Seems pretty steep!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My short answer----Yes.

Many here think it's overpriced but I would not have bought the MDX if it was not available with some of the features on the touring.

Like msu79gt82 said, do a search, this has been discussed often and thoroughly here.

·
Registered
235 Posts
acura is very crafty!

IMHO, acura created the premium model so they could list the MSRP at a lower 36,000. this allows them to get more potential buyers attention and seemingly be more price-competitive with other suvs.
this brings people into the showroom.

the touring model is really what acura wants to sell most buyers as its profits are higher from the higher MSRP, offset with modest features that really don't justify the extra 2400.

obviously all car companies do this to boost profits-they package options so that you must buy an entire package, which may contain 6,7 or 8 items, even if you only really want one or two of the items.

this approach simplifies the manufacturing process and increases profits ALOT.

a classic example is BMW. the base price of any of their models seem very reasonable and sucks you into looking at their cars. only when you add the options that you would like that you realize the real price is much, much higher.

i think the best way to look at this issue is to appreciate the fact that acura does offer us the choice of a less expensive model instead of the base model costing 38,800.

ideally...
MDX base model should be what the touring is now, at 36,500
MDX premium model at 38,000 to include self-leveling hids, real wood trim, auto up/down on all windows, full-size spare w/matching alloy wheel, dual-zone climate control for front passengers.
NEW MDX S-type to compete with X5, vw touareg, etc.

just my .02

regards,

chris

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: OK, did searches but

NSXBill said:
I'm confused.
One thing that seems to be a constant in all the "Is-the-Touring-Worth-It" threads is that Acura is making a killing. By that I mean that the sum of the parts is not worth the whole in terms of absolute dollar and cents. That said however the whole is worth it to most of us! Why? Because we like the car better that way!!

The Touring provides a more satisfying ride than the Base and therefore is worth it from that perspective. But if you try to add up the extras and price them individually you'll just get frustrated.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Re: OK, did searches but

msu79gt82 said:

One thing that seems to be a constant in all the "Is-the-Touring-Worth-It" threads is that Acura is making a killing. By that I mean that the sum of the parts is not worth the whole in terms of absolute dollar and cents. That said however the whole is worth it to most of us! Why? Because we like the car better that way!!

The Touring provides a more satisfying ride than the Base and therefore is worth it from that perspective. But if you try to add up the extras and price them individually you'll just get frustrated.
Doesn't make sense. If they were overpriced, we are all too smart and would have bought from someone else. Of course we want more for our money, but the MDX is probably the best value in the class.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: "building" a touring package yourself

neide said:
Doesn't make sense. If they were overpriced, we are all too smart and would have bought from someone else. Of course we want more for our money, but the MDX is probably the best value in the class.
Its not practical. Most of us are not going to go to the trouble of adding 6-disk indash CD; how am I going to add memory seats; how do I add power passenger seat; how do I add tilt-down mirror; etc. These are not do-it-yourself-projects!!

Tilt-down mirrors are a must have in my opinion. I rely on it far more than I would ever have imagined. I hope to never own another car w/o them.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
msu79gt82,

We have agreement on all your points. I purchased the Touring MDX and do agree that I paid a Premium (pun intended) price. One of the first things I did was to scrap the Bose system except for the head unit. Like you, I do love the memory seats and tilt-down mirror.:4:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts