Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DaleB,

Check your belt -- did you forget that all good pickets come with a leather holster?

Take 10 paces, turn, draw, and make those calculations.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I must admit that my leather-holstered K&E Log-Log Duplex Decitrig got very little use once I connected with a leather-holstered HP25C calculator. Those were the days, when you actually had to THINK, rather than have a computer tell you what the truth was.

PS: being a traflo, I still carry a pocket protector with one pencil (mechanical, of course) and two pens. Lost my pocket ruler, but carry a Zippo six-foot retractable in my pants pocket. No matter how much the world changes, some things never change!:2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MGTD said:

Or TI if your weren't into RPN.

Chris
My background forces me to use RPN. hahaha!
But to use or not use reverse Polish notation was often a point of discussion. What a bunch of boring nerds we were!
But I jumped into engineering after the white shirts and skinny ties began to disappear. Thank heaven for small favors!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dealer no help eh? Well I found an Acura TSB #1001 on the NHTSA website that concerns: Crank no start with Immobilizer II anti theft system. That would be a good place to start I think. Another observation - in my new Honda CRV with the 'Wave' key, the key becomes quite hot. This was reported by my wife and it certainly does get disturbingly hot. There is a radio frequency link between the key and the transmitter/sensor so some heating would be normal. However heat and electronics are a bad mix. If this is happening on your MDX report that to the dealer, and connect the dots for them if they are not able to do it themselves. Another item that should be checked EVERY TIME there is a mysterious electrical problem is the ground connections between engine, frame, battery, fuse/relay frames; in fact you can partially diagnose this yourself - put the headlights on and rev the engine slightly, if the headlights 'flare' there is a ground problem or voltage regulation problem.

John Boettger P.Eng.
Manager - Institutional Sales
Formula Honda
Toronto

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very curious about "mysterious electrical problem is the ground connections between engine, frame, battery, fuse/relay frames; in fact you can partially diagnose this yourself - put the headlights on and rev the engine slightly, if the headlights 'flare' there is a ground problem or voltage regulation problem"

I have an appt to take my car into Ron Tonkin Acura on Thursday, for a problem that is ongoing and sounds a lot like what you guys have been discussing. However, I wanted to provide some specifics in hopes maybe someone knows the fix...

My car is a 2007. If I drive about 5-8 miles down the road, turn off the car, get the gas tank filled (or whatever I do --- briefly), then try to start it, it's hit or miss. I turn the key and all the lights are on (the dash), but when I try to turn it over, the engine doesn't crank. It's like it's a dead battery, which is odd. The battery's been replaced multiple times. The starter's been replaced (by a different auto shop), and Acura's replaced the alternator (sometime last year). Nobody's been able to say with certainty what's wrong and I feel like I'm a guinea pig, getting charged for things that seem to initially help, but ultimately aren't fixing the issue.

One time Costco jumped my car and that actually worked. One time I let the car sit (cool down) for an hour+ and that did it. My car always starts when the engine is cold, even if it's hot outside. It's after the engine itself heats (and probably heats to a given temperature), because if I drive just a couple miles, it'll start.

Is there an issue that occurs when something gets too hot and maybe prevents the alternator from charging the battery?

Dealer no help eh? Well I found an Acura TSB #1001 on the NHTSA website that concerns: Crank no start with Immobilizer II anti theft system. That would be a good place to start I think. Another observation - in my new Honda CRV with the 'Wave' key, the key becomes quite hot. This was reported by my wife and it certainly does get disturbingly hot. There is a radio frequency link between the key and the transmitter/sensor so some heating would be normal. However heat and electronics are a bad mix. If this is happening on your MDX report that to the dealer, and connect the dots for them if they are not able to do it themselves. Another item that should be checked EVERY TIME there is a mysterious electrical problem is the ground connections between engine, frame, battery, fuse/relay frames; in fact you can partially diagnose this yourself - put the headlights on and rev the engine slightly, if the headlights 'flare' there is a ground problem or voltage regulation problem.

John Boettger P.Eng.
Manager - Institutional Sales
Formula Honda
Toronto

21 - 29 of 29 Posts