Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the nice installations being posted in this forum, I have decided to do something with my 2001, Touring (no Navi) MDX. I like just about everything this “truck” offers, except the poor sound quality.

I was mostly impressed with and inspired by BrianL’s installation. I showed BrianL’s pictures to a local installer (a award-winning one), they flat-out told me that that they don’t want to relocate the trip computer. So, unless Brian is planning to expand his business to my neighborhood (Florida), I have to scale back my ambition. :D

OK, here is my goal for the project:
1. CD, VCD, DVD, FM playback.
2. Clean sound. 105 dB without noticeable distortion.
3. Stereo, DD5.1 and DTS.
4. LCD screens, 7” minimum, 16x9, for front and 2nd row. Don’t care about third row.
5. 2 AC outlets for other toys, such as XBOX, laptops
6. Navigation system.

After a week of research, here is what I have come up with:
1. Head Unit selection (all Pioneer)
AVX-P7300DVD: 7" LCD Display with DVD Player
AVM-P9000R Audio/Video Receiver
AVIC-90DVD: DVD Navigation System with DVD Player
2. LCD for the rare seats
ICON-TV 9” Flip-down LCD (F90WIR)

3. Speaker and Amp
Front and Rare: Boston Pro 6.5/Soundstream Reference 604 (75wx4). Factory location.
Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W3/Soundstream Reference 500SX (500x1). Factory location with custom fiberglass sealed box.

As you can see, I have picked up just about all my ideas from you folks. Thanks!!!

The speakers and amps are existing equipments I had from my previous installation. I like them and plan to keep using them. The Pioneer gears will be purchased, and I have no idea how well they work. Subwoofer will be new venture to me.

Your opinion, comments, suggestions … are all welcome and appreciated.

TIA
--
JZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
subwoofer questions

I have some specific questions regarding the fiberglass subwoofer box. For those who has done this already, I hope you might have some of these data.

1. What is a reasonable price to pay for such custom box?
2. Keeping the factory subwoofer grill cover, what is the maximum thickness of spacer can be used?
3. With the maximum spacer, what is the allowable maximum mounting depth for the woofer?

My plan is to use JL Audio 10W3, which can achieve F3 44.4, Qtc .85 in a .75 ft^3 box.

What I really like is to use JL Audio 10W6, which can achieve F3 38.4, Qtc .79 in a 1 ft^3 box.

I don’t know much about the car speakers. There are so many brands out there. I’d love to hear what your experiences with different drivers.

Again, your opinion, comments, suggestions … are all welcome and appreciated.

TIA
--
JZ

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
jzman,

Sounds like an awesome setup!! If you're interested you can get in on a group buy for the Icon 9" I setup over at the Odyclub. It's $750 with two wireless headsets shipped from Ron at streeteffectz. You can find his contact info at www.streeteffectz.com . Just tell him you're joining in on the Odyclub group buy set up by Dan. The guys over there are putting in there orders on Friday.

Hope this will save you a few bucks...

MDXtrous

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
One more thing, you should consider adding a backup camera. It will only be $145 more, but it's very useful. I got mine from www.lightav.com , the Santeca CDM-301 (weather proof, night vision and mirror image) . You can find out more at www.santeca.com . I've got some pics on my "Video install" link in my signature.

While I'm at it, you can also think of adding the power inverter and additional A/V inputs in the back of your center console. Another addition for minimal cost. Very useful for PS2 or camcorder, or baby camera in the future...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
group buy? YES YES

MDXtrous

You bet I will join the group buy. (I become aware of this item by reading your post in the first place.) I¡¦d like to get some spec for the 9¡¨ monitor. The icon-tv web site has nothing; the http://www.streeteffectz.com has no info either. I¡¦ll call Ron tomorrow. Based on my estimation, the LCD must support a decent horizontal viewing angle to make it work well. Have you seen one in action?

BTW, I really enjoy what you have done with your MDX, and I definitely ¡§borrowed¡¨ your idea about the AC outlet and AUX input port. It¡¦s cool.

I also have Nokia 8260. I like what you did. I just wonder if the adapter you use has the ¡§mute¡¨ signal so I can hook up to the head unit to mute the music for 2 second when calls coming in.

Thanks for replying. Please keep your good ideas coming.

Later,
--
JZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get OEM Navi if you can....

BTW, I really regretted that I did not get the Navi when I order the MDX. I ordered mine when it first become available, before it hit the show room. Should I have known it is so hard to put a screen at the trip computer location, and it is impossible to add factory Navi afterward, I would have waited 5 more weeks for one that came with factory Navi. Sigh. :(

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
jzman,

On the Icon 9 inch screen, you can go over to the Odyclub under Audio and Electronics and do a search. Someone already installed it and took some pics. You can probably PM that guy.

I believe the resolution is 1440x234, but you can double check with Ron. From what I heard though, Icon makes one of the best screens.

The adapter I got for the Nokia 8260 is the one with the FM Modulator. You can tune into 88.3 (it's saved as one of my locations) then hit the button and the sound comes through the speakers. If you don't use the FM option, it also has a built-in speaker phone. It doesn't come with a separate mute option. So you mute the music by switcing to FM 88.3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts