Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find the technical specs for the Touring Bose audio system...amps, speakers, etc? I did a search here and found nothing close. Maybe searched on the wrong key words. Nothing in the manual either.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Touring:

8 speakers. 4/ 6.5 door speaker (mid/woofer, smaller magnet and voice coil in the rear door pair)

2/front door tweeters (1.5" cone tweeter)

1/ rear overhead tweeter?
(2.5" tweeter)
1/10" shallow cone Subwoofer. Not much larger than a frisbee, probably not much more $$ than a frisbee either.

Front stereo amp feeding all door speakers, a rear amp feeding the sub and
roof tweeter.

No real spec numbers. Radio performance quite mediocre in my opinion also. CD in dash is ok, with limited control functions.

In the shop manual there are 8 pages devoted to both premium and Bose systems.
There are 4 pages just devoted to the accessory power sockets in the MDX. Need I say more?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DaleB

Just ordered the Service Manual.

I'm looking to upgrade the Bose sound system, but want to know the specifics of what I have before I start replacing speakers and adding amps. Hopefully, the service manual will provide that.

Anyway, a very handy manual to have to just understand the vehicle a little more.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Specs...

The speakers are 2 ohm rated. The amps are around 40W channel INTO 2 ohms {this is both good, that they can deliver current into such a low-resistance load, but bad, as that translates into like 10W/channel into 8 ohms, which is where most amps are measured and WAY WAY below even what any even modest power upgrade would deliver. The rear sub amp is like 20 watts, maybe 15.

The tuner sensitvity & selectivity are un-remarkable, neither exceptionally poor nor particullarly good.

All-in-all not shockingly bad numbers, but nothing that leaps out at you. On the one hand this is almost understandable, as nobody really buys a vehicle based on the 'killer' sound system {even the Mark Levinson on Lexus is not the primary reason 99.44% of all folks buying Lexus do so...}. I remember when Bose first started their OEM car business. They used MUCH better amps, unfortunatelyy building them into the speaker modules leaving the low level signal susceptile to noise. They were much more ambitous--mic'ing up acoustic dummies and actually equallizing the sound based on passenger seating. There was WORK done on Bose's part to justify the extra COST. Offered in Caddys of the late 80s...

Now, Bose gets about $800-1000 per MDX from Acura for basically a system that is NOT signficantly better than the base audio package, which admittedly is better than the base sound in some vehicles, but just on par with the systems found in similarly priced vehicles.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You know at one time there was a law that auto mfrs. had to make delete options for audio systems available to owners to install after-market equipment.
It seems that law got repealed, because you have to take it with a radio, and trying to replace anything (other than speakers) one for one, is near impossible.
But the better auto electronics installers have got smarter and more creative in the meantime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts