Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this might be a dumb question, but I can't seem to the find the information I am looking for here. I was thinking about how it would be nice to have a new stereo head unit that has Apple CarPlay. I don't want to pull my dash apart only to find out the Nav, stereo, and AC controls are all permanently one piece. Has anybody ever installed or had a professional install a new stereo head unit in place of the OEM unit on the 2nd gen Technology package? Is there even room to do this?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Its usually a module which can detached, however you will have to figure out following

- Is that space double Din compliant which is the size most external head units would be
- If you opt for a Touch screen, its kinda far in 2nd Gen to use the touch screen
- Will have to check if Factory controls will work or not
- Will have to check if backup camera will work or not.

Much easier to just use an Android Tablet for Android Auto ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its usually a module which can detached, however you will have to figure out following

- Is that space double Din compliant which is the size most external head units would be
- If you opt for a Touch screen, its kinda far in 2nd Gen to use the touch screen
- Will have to check if Factory controls will work or not
- Will have to check if backup camera will work or not.

Much easier to just use an Android Tablet for Android Auto ;)
I think the backup camera would still work since it is a separate unit, unless the stereo unit has nav and backup camera components wired into the stereo. What is the Android Auto? A quick google search reveals that the head unit must be compatible with the Android Auto App.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Android Auto is something similar to Apple Car Play but is overall considered better thanks better voice service of Google. More details here - wwwdotandroiddotcom/auto/

See this implementation by a BMW guys - wwwdotredditdotcom/r/AndroidAuto/comments/5obkcd/sharing_running_standalone_android_auto_on_10

Pretty interesting

p.s. Not allowed to post urls so please replace dot with .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.