Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I tried searching the forums prior to posting this, but mostly only found topics focusing on the dreaded ADS shocks. I have a 2010 MDX Advance with 97k Miles and while I like to understand how everything works, I'm a newb when it comes to auto repair and I really have no interest in doing any of this on my own.

I'm getting some drive belt noise, so I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday to do the 105K mile timing/serpentine/water pump service a little early.

During that visit, I'd also like for them to try to improve the overall ride quality.

I had all 4 ADS shocks replaced around 62k miles and the rear 2 replaced again at 92K, but the ride remains harsh, loud and quite frankly, everything just feels loose. Is there a way for me to articulate to the dealer what I want replaced? In the past when I've mentioned ride quality, it seems they only check/replace the shocks when I'm sure there are other aging components to the suspension.

My question for you guys....what do I need to have replaced to make the overall ride quality feel more like it did when it was new? Same goes for the steering. My steering wheel feels loose, not tight, when making turns. What needs to be done to make feel like a new car again? And finally, I got all new brakes at 62K and I know there's plenty of pad remaining, the brakes just don't grab like they used to. Can anything be done to make that a little more touchy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I have around 96,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv and I kinda feel my ADS system isn't as tight as before. I had my fronts struts replaced at 35,000 miles along with a torn boot on a front endlilnk at the same time. Not sure if you are going to do an alignment also; but, that might be a good way to double-check if the suspension parts are good (rear camber always out by -1.4 degrees for my MDX). I also have aftermarket rims/tires that seem to help with handling compared to the OEM rims/tires:

- 20 inch; RonJon Legacy Type II Custom Graphite face with machine lip
- Continental DWS 06 P255/45ZR-20

For my TSX and RDX; I did a power steering flush at the dealership at 100,000 miles at the dealership and that made an improvement in steering feel. I will do the same on my next service for my MDX.

You might just need to do a brake flush if it has been over 3 years with the current fluid. Changing brakes pads at a minimal and pads/rotors at max seems to improve pedal response, pedal feel, and stopping distances. Tires also play an important part in suspension feel, handling, and braking. You might just need to upgrade your tires or add a few extra PSI to your current tires to change the way the MDX feels on the road. I went a little extreme +3 years ago and did the HeelToe Stage two brake kit (racing brake slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, Carbotech 1521 pads). I haven't been disappointed in the brake/rim/tire combo performance after +65,000 miles on my MDX.

·
Registered
793 Posts
97,000 miles on a 2010 is not enough wear, for a complete suspension rebuild.
Maybe new rubber bushings, for the sway bars and new tie rod ends.
If you're unhappy trade it in and don't spend the money on the TB.
In 30,000 those ads shocks will need replaced, again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That seems like abnormal wear if you are having those issues. My '01 MDX has 104k miles and still feels like new to me. I also have an '08 Pilot with 200k+ miles that has only had the rear shocks changed in that time. Granted, we are pretty easy on our vehicles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
2010 Elite MDX Canadian shocks replaced at 104k and 109k (rear then front) with updated parts. 2015 December for rear and 2016 January front. 2017 June 30th rear right shock is leaking @135k. Do not buy MDX with ads or downgrade to base suspensikn. Causes many problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have around 96,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv and I kinda feel my ADS system isn't as tight as before. I had my fronts struts replaced at 35,000 miles along with a torn boot on a front endlilnk at the same time. Not sure if you are going to do an alignment also; but, that might be a good way to double-check if the suspension parts are good (rear camber always out by -1.4 degrees for my MDX). I also have aftermarket rims/tires that seem to help with handling compared to the OEM rims/tires:

- 20 inch; RonJon Legacy Type II Custom Graphite face with machine lip
- Continental DWS 06 P255/45ZR-20

For my TSX and RDX; I did a power steering flush at the dealership at 100,000 miles at the dealership and that made an improvement in steering feel. I will do the same on my next service for my MDX.

You might just need to do a brake flush if it has been over 3 years with the current fluid. Changing brakes pads at a minimal and pads/rotors at max seems to improve pedal response, pedal feel, and stopping distances. Tires also play an important part in suspension feel, handling, and braking. You might just need to upgrade your tires or add a few extra PSI to your current tires to change the way the MDX feels on the road. I went a little extreme +3 years ago and did the HeelToe Stage two brake kit (racing brake slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, Carbotech 1521 pads). I haven't been disappointed in the brake/rim/tire combo performance after +65,000 miles on my MDX.

Thanks, MrGold! Very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts