Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Does anyone know the torque specs for the rear differential bolts?
I assume you mean the drain and fill plugs, because I can’t imagine why you would be messing with any of the many other bolts on the thing.

Be very careful with uncalibrated consumer grade torque wrenches. If it reads low, you might inadvertently over-tighten the plug and strip out the aluminum housing. That's a very expensive mistake. I use a medium length socket wrench, "comfortably snug" for drain plugs. I reserve my crappy consumer grade torque wrench for the big tough stuff, like suspension bolts.

Having said that, per service manual, 35 lb-ft or 47 N-m

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you really want to know what torque you should try to set on your crappy uncalibrated consumer grade torque wrench before you tighten a drain bolt into the cast aluminum housing of a very expensive vehicle component, I must suggest you let dealer service deal with it. If they go ape and strip out the housing, they will eat the cost of replacing it.
What is going on, here? Seems entirely uncalled for. Asking the torque spec is a perfectly reasonable question. And doing a rear diff fluid change (if that's what they're doing) is a perfectly reason DIY task.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What is going on, here? Seems entirely uncalled for. Asking the torque spec is a perfectly reasonable question. And doing a rear diff fluid change (if that's what they're doing) is a perfectly reason DIY task.
Sorry. Pet peeve from working on bicycles. Crappy torque wrenches are worse than no torque wrenches, IMO. At best, they give a false sense of security. At worst, they tempt you to crank down more than you should and break expensive stuff. Like carbon fiber bike frames! :surprise:

[edit] I toned down the previous post. Thanks for the caution flag.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Sorry. Pet peeve from working on bicycles. Crappy torque wrenches are worse than no torque wrenches, IMO. At best, they give a false sense of security. At worst, they tempt you to crank down more than you should and break expensive stuff. Like carbon fiber bike frames! :surprise:
Sure... But where did he say he had a crappy torque wrench? For all we know the OP is rocking a SnapOn TechAngle.

Personally, I calibrate my torque wrenches at least once a year -- usually more often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.