Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Update- Other dealer couldn't replicate the problem. The steering wheel clunk is still there but not as much. My next move is to remove the steering wheel and look around to either grease up or put felt tape.

Also I noticed a spring creaking noise when I make sharp swerves i.e. think of a deer running out and you swerving, noise is now from the right side of the the car. Hopefully they replace the strut/spring. Try it on your car and see if it does that, a violent sharp left/right turn while driving straight doing it side to side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Update- Other dealer couldn't replicate the problem. The steering wheel clunk is still there but not as much. My next move is to remove the steering wheel and look around to either grease up or put felt tape.

Also I noticed a spring creaking noise when I make sharp swerves i.e. think of a deer running out and you swerving, noise is now from the right side of the the car. Hopefully they replace the strut/spring. Try it on your car and see if it does that, a violent sharp left/right turn while driving straight doing it side to side.
Turn your steering wheel just around half a turn and move very very slowly going forward and reverse (eg. large parking lot). Also if you tend to feel this more often turning left.

This also eliminates the struts because you are moving so slowly.

Try in both steering directions. If you feel the clunk it's your inboard CV joint (be careful as the brake pads can click too going from forward to reverse).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I was able to confirm a bad inner right (passenger) side CV joint causing the clunk. (Same one that has the lube all over the gray boot).

Tried to order the OEM shaft but the right side for this vehicle is "backordered" --- I wonder why ;)

Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was able to confirm a bad inner right (passenger) side CV joint causing the clunk. (Same one that has the lube all over the gray boot).

Tried to order the OEM shaft but the right side for this vehicle is "backordered" --- I wonder why ;)

Coincidence? I think not.
Keep us posted if this fixes the issue. You could always buy from Nappa or advance auto I suppose.

Unforetunately my dealer can't replicate the problem so I'll have to pay out of pocket one day for my replacement, that's if I decide if I had enough of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Keep us posted if this fixes the issue. You could always buy from Nappa or advance auto I suppose.

Unforetunately my dealer can't replicate the problem so I'll have to pay out of pocket one day for my replacement, that's if I decide if I had enough of the car.
Try the test I outline above. See if you feel that clunk ... I can re-create the clunk with this very slow forward and back while turning.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts