Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that automobile engines are a bit like a foreign language to me. Nuff said.

One of the criteria I set for my new car was the ability to continue up long hills (relatively steep), on the freeway, without having to listen to the engine whine (or scream) to be able to hold freeway speeds. For those who live in So Cal, I am thinking of a few of the hills between LA and Vegas and the first hill where the 91 and 241 meet - my apologies to those who have no clue where I am talking about). As an example, my JGC (I6) requires me to turn off Overdrive and listen to a very loud engine to maintain speed. My Dad's V8 JGC just goes without complaint or excessive noise.

I would appreciate everyones input on the MDX's ability in this regard. More importantly, any speculation about how the torque band beginning at 3500 on the 2003 rather than 3000 on the 2002 might affect real world driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The torque band does not begin at 3500RPM. Acura only specd the new max torque number at 3500RPM for the 03' whereas the max torque number on the 02' was at 3000RPM. I would bet the torque between the 02' and 03' is nearly identical at 3000RPM with the 03' continuing to climb somewhat up to 3500RPM before dropping. With the improvement made to the 03' engine I doubt you would notice any difference in real word driving as you describe. The only measureable difference between the two may be a few tents of a second in a 0-60 run.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I can't answer your q re: the '03 specifically, but having come out of a Heep GC (i6) I *can* tell you that the Heep 6 cyl is a REAL PIG by comparison. Well, it's a pig compared to pretty much anything ;) As you already know, the slightest incline required disabling OD to maintain speed, and the engine whined about it.

Not so in the X. 5th gear is kinda tall in the X, IMO, but it'll either kick down to 4th itself w/grade logic or you can just put it in D4 if it's a steep incline. The engine is impressively quiet in D4.

Worlds apart from the 6 in the Heep. Plus, you'll not have to carry duct tape and a screwdriver to fix all the stuff falling off the Heep!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheWorm said:
I can't answer your q re: the '03 specifically, but having come out of a Heep GC (i6) I *can* tell you that the Heep 6 cyl is a REAL PIG by comparison. Well, it's a pig compared to pretty much anything ;) As you already know, the slightest incline required disabling OD to maintain speed, and the engine whined about it.

Not so in the X. 5th gear is kinda tall in the X, IMO, but it'll either kick down to 4th itself w/grade logic or you can just put it in D4 if it's a steep incline. The engine is impressively quiet in D4.

Worlds apart from the 6 in the Heep. Plus, you'll not have to carry duct tape and a screwdriver to fix all the stuff falling off the Heep!

Thanks for the quick answers! Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about.

Calling it a Heep GC is a good way to describe it. I carry a lot of things in the back of my car just in case! I will miss the offroad ability of the Heep, but I am looking forward to my 2003 MDX!

[Begin Off Topic]
Yesterday I had a dentists appt requiring me to leave exactly 5 minutes before the 2003 info was posted here. After checking numerous times everyday, I can't believe I didn't see the info until late last night.
[/Begin Off Topic]

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The only thing that's bad about the X vs. the Heep is that the X is so much nicer and better-put-together that you'll feel compelled to take care of it. I do sometimes miss the "garbage can" mentality I was able to have w/the Heep (tho I had the Laredo w/cloth; the Ltd w/leather was a nice interior).

As sandman1 alluded, the torque curve in the X is pretty flat (high torque available through a wide range of RPMs). Although the peak might be different in the '03, I'd imagine that there's a lotta grunt available across the RPM band, as there has been in the 01 and 02.

Not to worry :29:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheWorm said:
The only thing that's bad about the X vs. the Heep is that the X is so much nicer and better-put-together that you'll feel compelled to take care of it. I do sometimes miss the "garbage can" mentality I was able to have w/the Heep (tho I had the Laredo w/cloth; the Ltd w/leather was a nice interior).

As sandman1 alluded, the torque curve in the X is pretty flat (high torque available through a wide range of RPMs). Although the peak might be different in the '03, I'd imagine that there's a lotta grunt available across the RPM band, as there has been in the 01 and 02.

Not to worry :29:
Sounds like I can remove the worry hat, thanks!

I have the Laredo with cloth as well. Had the car almost 8 years and 125,000 miles worth. My Dad has a 99 or 2000 JGC Limited with everything and the interior is considerably nicer than the X.

I'm looking forward to not having endless problems with my car!

Going back to waiting for my Midnight Blue Touring/NAV/RES.

·
Registered
259 Posts
AikiMDX,

Taking my second trip from Vegas to Torrance tomorrow, can tell you based on my first trip you will fly up the passes both ways with no sweat. I usually take 91W off I15 to get to Gardena/Torrance, but I don't recall a 91/241 merge. Anyway, coming and going I just put her in cruise and enjoy...smooth, powerful, and the downshifts are barely noticeable when she kicks in on the Cajon and Mountain Pass near Vegas...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Aiki,

First off, your JGC with the 4.0L I6 has a very good torque curve for a truck engine. It has excellent low-end torque. However, it runs out of power at higher RPMs. Therefore, you can say that it has a FLAT torque curve below 4000 RPMs, but drops off rapidly afterwards. The MDX is more of a middle-of-the-road. It does not have as much torque down below 2000 RPMs. However, it has great mid-range power and decent high-RPMs power.

In conclusion, your Jeep GC runs out of power at highway speed due to above reasons, but it is very torquey if you off-road. The MDX should be much better at highway speed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I wonder why I love this site so much. Thanks for all the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts