Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, we're all sick to death of hearing about the TC whine in our MDXs. It's slightly annoying, though doesn't seem to indicate anything is likely to fail any time soon.

I'd added some additives to my transmission in the past to see if it reduced the whine. It sure seemed like it did, but the placebo effect can be powerful, so I didn't want to trust my ears.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I downloaded an audio spectrum analyzer on my Droid phone, and checked to see if it could clearly show the whine. Because of the complicated audio environment (fan and radio off though), there's a lot of noises from very low to very high frequency. Still, it's easy enough to spot the TC whine - it's the obvious peak to the right of the 1000hz line (about halfway to the 2000hz line). It's shown as -50db, though I wouldn't trust the numbers as absolutes since a very slight move of the phone changed the audio input significantly.

Then I added a tube of LubeGard ShudderFixx, and about six ounces of LubeGard Platinum, with the engine idling. I took another screen shot of my spectrum analyzer, and it actually DID look different...

The "TC whine peak" seems clearly lower. According to the scale, it's down 10db (which would correspond to eliminating 90% of the original amplitude). I'd take that with a grain of salt though, because the overall sound level seems to be a little lower (though not by 10db). My ear was telling me the whine was reduced, and the spectrum analyzer seems to confirm it. I'll be putting some "real miles" on the MDX tomorrow, and will see if there's any further change (improvement or reversion to the original level). Might be interesting...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3,000 mile update - I'd say that the whine is back to its pre-additive level, so (not surprisingly) it seems that the effects of an additive (even a great one like the LubeGard product) isn't really a long-term fix for the transmission whine.

I'd love to find a "non-surgical" way to reduce the whine. It's really not a big deal, but is the one thing that I notice that's "not quite right" when I drive my 226,000 mile MDX.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm with you Habby. I just hit 260,000 kilometers and the whine is my only complaint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts