Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the dreaded TC "shudder" or "rumble-strip" sound at low gear, 35-45mph driving. Probably 1 -3 times a week. The chat I had with my favorite mechanic was that it's the TC, and will get progressively worse, and eventually, a transmission rebuild will be in order. Anything that can be done to extend the life of this tranny a little more? I'd like to get another 12 months out of it before sinking any more money into the car. I'm sure changing the fluid can't hurt.......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check out this recent thread:
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/166582-changed-trans-fluid-big-improvement.html
Here's a DIY for the '03-'06 models:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-mdx-discussion-2001-2013-166/03-06-mdx-3rd-4th-gear-transmission-switches-sensors-diy-747378/

Both the 3x ATF drain and fill, and the pressure switch replacement should buy some time. I think the 2004 transmissions are a bit more reliable than those in earlier models. So depending on the condition of your transmission, there's a chance you might not even have to do a TC replacement or rebuild.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Doing a couple drain-and-fills is always the right thing to do if you have ANY transmission issue and haven't changed the fluid in a while. OK, if it's grinding and glowing red, don't bother. ;-)

And as much as I hate to sound like a shill for LubeGard (don't work for 'em, never talked to 'em) I've read a lot of positive info on their Shudder Fixx product, that's supposed to take care of this specific problem. I wouldn't count on it working if your fluid is dirty, and would make getting that taken care of your first through fifth priority... but hey, it's easy and cheap, and might help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A single drain-refill fixed my 2006 MDX with the exact same symptoms. It had been doing that for years and had 200,000+ miles at the time. Now over 260k and still on the original transmission with no shudder ever. Still shifts like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts