Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2015 MDX Adv Ent with 59K miles on it. Started noticing symptoms when driving approximately one week ago. The car seemed very spastic, unresponsive, hesitant, like the engine and transmission weren't talking to each other any more. Brought car into local dealer with email describing all I was experiencing (see below). I also found TSB 16-044 and 16-062 online. The dealer says he has dealt with hundreds of these things. When first noticed in MDX, Acura was changing out torque converters. Now they are just flushing the ATF and reprogramming the computer. All but a few at my local dealer have been corrected with the a single ATF flush repair and software reprogramming. These select few (he says less than 5) have required another ATF flush repair and software update approximately 5K miles later. None have needed the torque converter replaced since these TSB have come out according to the service manager. Hope this information helps someone else out there because if what the manager says is correct this problem is more widespread than people even know....

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
553 Posts
My 2014 MDX had the same issue at low speeds. Tech did the 2 TSBs during first visit, but that did not fix the issue. They replaced Torque Converter during the second visit, it made low speed vibrations worse. After couple more visits, dealer/Acura washed off their hands saying it is normal(center armrest vibrates pretty bad) VCM vibrations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not really a vibration.... its more of an engine hiccup or "irregular" tachometer movements outside of what you would expect for the driving conditions. Im picking up my car today. Ill keep you posted. I have very good relationship with service manager at my dealership. So lets see.... Question for ya - after the first visit how long was it before the symptoms returned?

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
553 Posts
Question for ya - after the first visit how long was it before the symptoms returned?
Did not take long, few on/off cycles and the symptoms were back, I guess as soon as ECU relearned(my MDX is notorious for learning bad habits pretty quickly :))

My MDX issue is not just vibrations... it switches to VCM mode(or whatever mode) so often that it kicks in even right after I make a no stop right turn(meaning at speeds as low as 15MPH). When that happens, you know the car has no power to pick up speed and struggles to gain speed resulting in vibrations. This loss of power is the most annoying and probably dangerous issue, I tried my best to explain the issue but ACURA simply refuses to agree and washed it off saying that is normal VCM vibrations. Since then, I installed VCM muzzler and that seem to address my issue very well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The MDX is programed to give as good of fuel economy as it can. When I am on the freeway cruising at say 65 - 70 MPH steady, it is probably running on 3 cylinders. When I step on it just a little there is a lag, noticeable but not too long before the engine delivers more power. Most likely the torque convertor has to uncouple and the engine has to go back to 6 cylinder. Then it will respond to slight increases in power or speed. That is completely normal and it was like that on my 2014 and this 2015. If I punch it there is also a lag but it will come up in RPM quickly. The trans flush and programming upgrade does help quit a bit (for what Acura calls "judder.") I suspect that folks who are used to drive by cable will find some differences in drive by wire where fuel economy is a major part of the configuration. Remember that the Federal Gov't sets mpg fleet standards and that is partially what drives some of these complaints folks have. If the manufacturers designed for max power now, the MPG would suffer and the environmentalists would be complaining that all of us should drive these:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.