Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was hoping to get some input on this before I take into a shop. Looks like the grease is leaking out of this drive shaft boot? I think this is what they call the outboard drive shaft boot on the passenger side. Just changed the oil yesterday and noticed it (the oil on the frame rails is from the oil change and a messy filter removal). I felt around as best I could but couldn't find any obvious tears in the boot. Anything else I should look at or consider? Or am I misdiagnosing?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Seems like a common issue, I had to replace my passenger side because of that.. It is not the boot tearing though at least not in my case its the pressure clamp shifting and allowing the boot to come down and making a leak of grease.. Check the boot seat and push it all the way down again.

You can replace the boot and re-grease instead of buying the entire axle like I did, I bought both of my axles because they were on sale at the time.

Used OE Axles:

Spanking new OE Honda axles:

Reactions: Priscillababy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a common issue, I had to replace my passenger side because of that.. It is not the boot tearing though at least not in my case its the pressure clamp shifting and allowing the boot to come down and making a leak of grease.. Check the boot seat and push it all the way down again.

You can replace the boot and re-grease instead of buying the entire axle like I did, I bought both of my axles because they were on sale at the time.
Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for, thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI took this into the dealer today as I've still got a couple of months left on the warranty and they said it was a "normal about of boot sweat" after giving it a close look. Not sure if that is some random misdiagnosis or is feasible. Why would this be the only boot that is covered in grease... greater amount of drive shaft use in right hand turns?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Nah just check the boot alignment, they probably moved the boot up again... The problem is, the boot brace gets weaker over time and it will allow movement of the boot allowing the grease to leak..
Why does it only affects the passenger side? beats me, The axles are equal in length to counter torque-steer so they should equally distribute force to the ground.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just replaced mine a few months ago. It was noticeably seeping grease so I changed it out with a new one from Rockauto. Easy to do and doesn't take long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It seems wasteful to throw away a whole half axle for this. Is there anyway to just replace the boot and refill the grease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
It seems wasteful to throw away a whole half axle for this. Is there anyway to just replace the boot and refill the grease?

The issue I have with only replacing a boot is the other side is just as old and worn as the inside boot. So you might be able to replace the boot and be fine, but how long till the outside one goes or gets torn?

Also I paid 65$ for my axle shipped and it's not a remanufactured axle, it's a brand new parts. I'd guess you'd be around 25$ to replace the boot, grease and clamp.

Good preventative maintenance to just replace the whole axle IMO.

(I have an automotive background and always air on the safe side and cost effect option, it's not always cheaper but it will be in the long run)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Is aftermarket axle comparable to OEM ones? Or whether new aftermarket ones is comparable to OEM axle after 10 years? I always value OEM parts and try to salvage them if I can. BTW, what is the OEM part number for this and how much it is?

But it is true that the cost of boots and grease for retail customers like us is too much. I guess the factories probably pay only $5 for them for a whole half axle. If I can get their price, I shall replace just the boot for sure. Now it is kind of a hard call.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is aftermarket axle comparable to OEM ones? Or whether new aftermarket ones is comparable to OEM axle after 10 years? I always value OEM parts and try to salvage them if I can. BTW, what is the OEM part number for this and how much it is?

But it is true that the cost of boots and grease for retail customers like us is too much. I guess the factories probably pay only $5 for them for a whole half axle. If I can get their price, I shall replace just the boot for sure. Now it is kind of a hard call.
Most aftermarket manufacturers are the same manufactures for factory parts. They are made in the same factory on the same assembly line and boxed as a different brand while another goes into an "Acura" box to the dealer for a huge mark up.

To each their own, I've been doing car things and mechanics for years. I've never had an issue with aftermarket compared to OEM on axles or hundreds of other parts. Certain things I'll still stick with OEM but those are far a few between.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

Yes you can replace the boot only.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the comments on aftermarket parts, provided that the aftermarket part maker is the same as OEM or is just another quality parts maker, even if they don't supply directly to manufacturers.

Sounds like replacing the drive shafts is relatively inexpensive and easy to do, which is good news. I can search around, but any chance any of you have posted a DIY for this?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just replaced mine a few months ago. It was noticeably seeping grease so I changed it out with a new one from Rockauto. Easy to do and doesn't take long.

Does my initial picture look like your "noticeable seeping grease"? I'm not going to race to replace mine, but was surprised the dealer didn't try and sell me on some work when I brought it in... or maybe they were avoiding warranty work!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does my initial picture look like your "noticeable seeping grease"? I'm not going to race to replace mine, but was surprised the dealer didn't try and sell me on some work when I brought it in... or maybe they were avoiding warranty work!
Yes mine started similar you can see the small splats of grease in the top right of the picture. Mine got noticeable worse very quickly and was a mess when I finally changed it. It's very easy, I'll find the YouTube video I watched it's like most other axles replacements.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I think these are the correct part numbers and these are dealer prices:

Outboard Boot Set (Includes boot, both clamps) - 44018-STX-A51 - $36.72
Driveshaft Assembly Right (44305-STX-A51) - $199.20
Driveshaft Assembly Left (44306-STX-A51) - $199.20

Per earlier comments, looks like you can get a new one (from Cardone) for $65.
Product Detail

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I dont think you have bad boot. That oil, looks like engine oil to me. Clean that area with with brake cleaner, drive a little. But i could bet, your boot and axle is just fine. What year is your MDX?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You can find them cheaper on some places.. I think HondaPartsUnlimited often sell them at 170 bucks each.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I dont think you have bad boot. That oil, looks like engine oil to me. Clean that area with with brake cleaner, drive a little. But i could bet, your boot and axle is just fine. What year is your MDX?
Honda uses a very light grease and it does look quite thin..
Look at my axle picture and the grease looks very light.

Although what is seems to be dripping out of the sub frame looks like oil to me, Probably P/S Fluid.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
These are the ones I used. No issues at all.

Nice. At this price, there isn't a lot to lose. There are lots of 5% off coupons for rockauto as well. BTW, is an alignment needed afterwards?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts