Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched my son's car seat forward facing and clipped it into the seat anchors/LATCH. However there is another strap that starts from the top of the car seat that needs to be secure to avoid it from tipping.

Can I secure it to the metal clip which is just beneath the 3rd row cup holder? It goes at an angle, so not sure, but I pulled it through.

Looking at the owners manual, it says on page 49, to attach the tether strap to the tether anchor just behind the seat...I dont think I've seen what they are referring to.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The tether anchor point is on the backside of the seat, it's the small little bar on the carpeted backside. If you look with enough lighting through the open tailgate with the third row down you can't miss it.

I took the headrest off and ran the tether cord down the back to the anchor point. There are three in the second row and two anchor points for the third row that are hidden to the left and right of the tailgate latch at about the level of your thighs if you are standing behind the rear bumper.

The chrome metal clips you are referring to below the 3rd row cupholders are for attachment of a cargo net or some other accessory I believe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Huh??? What year is your MDX? I have a 2010 and the latch hooks are not even covered, it's right behind the 2nd row seat backs. If you're looking for the latch for the 3rd row, those are not behind the seats, but under covers almost near the hatch opening. Those you have to stretch out.

Anyway, DO NOT ever just latch the fasteners to something that you "THINK" might hold in an accident. Only takes on accident to regret it for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
123 Posts
DO NOT secure the top LATCH clips to the square, fold-down metal thingies found below the third-row cupholders - these are intended for cargo nets and other such flimsy accessories, not for securely holding the weight of a car seat and a toddler (multiplied by however much for inertia) in place safely in the event of a frontal collision.

Check out this photo for the locations of the top LATCH anchors (2nd-row anchors are circled in red, 3rd-row anchors are circled in yellow):

2010 model is pictured, but anchor locations are the same in 2007-2009 models.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Good picture, that shows it easily. The two yellow ones are covered by plastic covers that flip out of the way if needed for 3rd row tethering.

So in that picture I removed the headrest for the 2nd row and ran the upper tether over the top and then straight down to the metal bar on the carpeted backside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts