Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Top speed of my 2014 MDX.. why so low!!!

21K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  Rsevo 
#1 ·
Today for the first time I had the opportunity to try out the top speed of my US spec 2014 MDX FWD.

I had somewhat expected it to be limited to 132 MPH as this was also the case with my US spec Mercedes CLK550 which turned out to be limited to 132 MPH and then it clearly cut off, the automatic hunting between 6th and 7th gear. I heared this top speed limitation of 132 MPH to be common on US cars.
I had this changed in the ECU software to the here in Europe common 155 MPH max.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that my MDX maxed out at a much lower 112 MPH with the automatic hunting between 5th and 6th gear at that speed, so clearly also limited but why so low!!! :frown2:
Is this normal???

Anyone know if this limiter is changable in the ECU software like it could be done with the MB??

#7 ·
Nope, wouldn'd feel the need for more then 132 MPH, that would be enough on the MDX, but 112 is a rediculously (s)low top speed limit for this car imho

I was in Germany and even though high speed driving is becoming less usual there too with more and more speed limits in place, on some parts of the autobahn there still is no limit and on these roads cruising at 100+ MPH is still quite normal.
For me, as I am not there often, when being there, it is not unusual for short distances to speed up to 130-150 just for the fun of it, because you legally can..:grin:

The fastest I ever did was 190 in a rented Lamborghini... just because I wanted to break 186.4 at least once in my life:smile2: ....but that is off topic :22:

#5 ·
Tires speed limit.

#6 ·
Tirespeed limit of the OE Michelin tires (which by the way are crap as on my MDX they were already showing lots of aging cracks after just 4 years (MFD 32/2013) never seen such early aging before, and thus were replaced recently) is 130 MPH, so can not really be the reason to limit the car to 112..
Here in Europe it would be unthinkable to limit a 290 bhp SUV to just 112 MPH :frown2:

#8 ·
This is normal, Honda has governed their cars for the past +10 years..
Mostly because of legal reasons, They must know the car might behave erratically at over those speeds due to shady aerodynamics.
So while the drivetrain might be more than capable to withstand higher speeds the body work and aero might not be suitable for them.

Now why is it 112mph? this is weird as Honda has always governed their cars for 130mph... I guess perhaps the 3G FWD Drivetrain is not capable of more?
If the car is hunting for gears its probably because its looking for more power, When the governor hits it just limit throttle input. If the MDX is US Spec then the governor IS 130mph.. If the car does not hit it then is unable to due to lack of power, gearing plays a huge role in this.

#9 ·
I tried it with the automatic in both D(rive) and S(port) mode and both gave the same top speed with the automatic hunting between 5-6 gear up and down with the engine at about 4200 revs.

I also used the steeringwheel shift paddle to manually put it in 5th gear and the shifthunting stopped, but it still maxed at 112 MPH so the car is 100% certain limited to 112 MPH!

Really... Am I the first G3 owner ever testing out the top speed of the car, nobody else tried it out?????

I do know that in Japan all cars are limited to 180 Km/h = 112 MPH but this is a US car...

I also found out the cruisecontrol will only work upto 90 MPH.
On my previous Porsche Cayenne, MB ML500 and MB ML63 on all the cruise worked upto 112 MPH

#10 ·
I know for a fact my 2G MDX with the 5 Speed can achieve its top governed speed of 132mph... In México of course. Never tried the cruise control at those speeds, so cant tell about that..

One thing is for certain: The 2G can achieve speeds well above 130mph with the J37 so there should be no reason for your lighter 3G to max out at 112mph..

UNLESS
The 3G FWD MDX has been crippled to a lower Governed Speed by Honda..
The AWD 3G MDX should be able to hit 130mph unless it also has been governed lower.

#12 ·
He lives in Europe, ergo the Autobahn which has no speed limit restrictions.
130mph must be the Average speed in the Autobahn so 112mph governor is "below average" Speed in there. So I don´t think its a matter of "Top Speed" rather to be able to travel at the average speed for the Autobahn.

#14 ·
You really can't compare a Mercedes AMG to the MDX. There may very well be technical reasons that we don't know about for the limits. Including costs. Also,an SUV is enharently more unstable than a sedan. AMG excepted. A sudden move because of an obstruction in the road may be no big deal at 70. Could be a different story at 130. I stand by my statement. It's your choice. Just don't take anyone with you. By the way. We aren't talking about different cars. We are talking about the MDX.

#15 ·
Perhaps the ML63 was a wrong example, but I used it just to state that there are loads of SUV's capable of speeds far over 112 MPH.

The "simplest" basic ML350 with 306 BHP is rated at 146 MPH here and even the compared to the MDX somewhat less technically advanced and less powerful Hyundai SantaFe's and Kia Sorento's have a higher topspeed rating than 112 MPH (resp 118 and 125 MPH).

Even the MDX's little cousin, the Honda CR-V in FWD with it's 155 BHP has a rated topspeed of 118 MPH!

As Skirmich states, his G2 seems to be able to do 130, so why can't the G3?
It isn't that I do it on a daily base, but the fact that it can't.... surprising, possibly some modern ultrasafe US spec

#17 ·
The root of this issue is likely due to the MDX not actually being imported to Europe by Acura - outside of the ones they imported to Russia for awhile. The speed limiter is based on USA/Canada speed limits rather than EMEA speed limits, which would include Germany limits, hence why it's lower than one would expect. I would expect the vehicle to actually be perfectly fine mechanically to drive at higher speeds.

Rsevo - I think you acquired your MDX in an unusual way, meaning not one routinely imported into your country - correct?

btw - I've driven in Germany on a number of occasions and really enjoyed it. I found I was paying very close attention to my driving when driving at 100mph+ for long distances. I also found that when they do post a speed limit in Germany and elsewhere, they tend to really mean it and there's a very good chance of getting pulled over if one doesn't comply.

#18 ·
G3 is wimpier and more minivanny than G2....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

#20 ·
Have anyone tried to max out a 3G MDX? no matter how I look for on Youtube it doesn´t seem to be anyone that have recorded a top speed run.

#21 ·
Am really amazed that no one seems to have speeded up their G3 MDX at least once to find out the top speed, nobody seems to use it for any kind of sporty driving...

I guess this is the reason why fast import cars from Japan and Europe are sometimes equipped with smaller brakes, softer suspension etc specifically for the US market as these cars are hardly (n)ever used to their high speed capabilities in the US ;-)

#23 ·
Am really amazed that no one seems to have speeded up their G3 MDX at least once to find out the top speed, nobody seems to use it for any kind of sporty driving...

Like mdxstang said these 2 things do not go hand in hand.
I use my MDX for touge sessions with my friends, its dumb, impractical and not that impressive yet I am still apexing stuff in a 4500lb SUV. That is very different than say; Drag Racing which the MDX is not suitable for unless its going against other Soccer Mom SUVs.

Lets put it this way...
You don´t find your MDX sporty because you have the most crippled version ala FWD which handles mmmKay for a Crossover, Take that it does not meet any record breaking 0 to 60 and it has a low Top Speed no wonder you think its not sporty when compared to a AMG ML63.
Even then I will dare to say SH-AWD MDX has driving dynamics on par or above your AMG ML63 BUT will never hit its 0 to 60.. That does not mean is not "SPORTY" they are simply in 2 very different price brackets were your AMG can give you an insanely impractical engine to compensate for an absurd curb weight of 5285lbs (2.4Ton), The SH-AWD MDX = 4220lbs (1.9Ton) gives you excellent driving behavior to compensate for its low HP.

So to resume:
The MDX SH-AWD is the Sporty one..
The FWD MDX is a Grocery Getter and MPG Friendly car ONLY.

FYI: SH-AWD was always meant to be a Handling Enhancer AWD system since the very beginning, not a WEATHER AWD system, So the SH-AWD MDX is the "Sporty" one..
The FWD MDX is... Just another crossover with nothing special.

#22 ·
'Top speed' and 'sporty driving' are generally two quite different things. 'Sporty driving' generally involves spirited driving on curvy roads - such as mountain roads, preferably where one can do it reasonably safely and not cut corners or go into the opposing lane.

'Top speed' isn't really what I'd call sporty - it's just mashing the pedal down to see how fast the vehicle can go. This is generally a dangerous thing to do in addition to a potentially costly thing to do if one gets a ticket. It's dangerous because one would need to find a long stretch of fairly straight flat road with no other vehicles on it. If others are driving on the same road at 65mph and a person is driving at 100mph+, they're blowing by those slower drivers unexpectedly and something as simple as a lane change on the other driver's part could easily cause a fatal accident. This is different than some unlimited stretches of the Autobahn where most drivers are driving a speed closer to each other albeit fast, and even Germany has speed limits on the Autobahn in areas not suited for very high speed driving. There are some areas of the western part of the USA in particular that have some long stretches of road suitable for higher speed driving such as Utah (where the top speed limit is 85mph in places), Nevada, Montana, Kansas, etc., but one takes a risk both physically and financially if they were to try to get to 112mph or whatever the speed limiter is set to. Something simple like a rabbit running out in front of a vehicle at that speed can be a problem and if a deer jumps out it'd be catastrophic.

There's 'sporty' and then there's 'non-sensible'.

Moreover - if people really want to drive fast they could do so fairly safely on a track and if they're the type of person who drives on a track they likely wouldn't do it in a family SUV but rather, something more suitable for the track like a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, some other similar vehicles, or something more purpose built and souped up.

The vast majority of people who buy the top spec'd BMW, Mercedes, and the like SUVs use them primarily to get groceries and drive their kids to school and soccer and will likely never go more than 10mph above the speed limit, which is already dangerous enough for them given they usually incessantly talking on their cell phone while they're driving or worse - texting.

I've enjoyed driving the MDX spiritedly on twisty mountain roads and it was fine to drive between 85-90 for long stretches in states where 85 is permitted, such as Utah, but I don't really have a desire to go flat out on a public road to find the top speed - it's simply too dangerous for little gain.

#24 ·
I fully appreciate the input from mdxstang and skirmich, but I feel they take my reasoning out of it's context. Perhaps it is me not being from the US that I state things somewhat different/ perhaps unclear.... the message doesn't get through ;-)

Me using the ML63 as example at first was a bit wrong, but as I stated later: here in Europe, almost all SUV-s (even the Honda CRV with just half the HP can do 118 MPH) are capable of a higher topspeed than 112 MPH, so I was unpleasantly surprised to find out the MDX being limited to this.

Trying out the topspeed has nothing to do with dragracing, (which I feel to be silly), I really don't understand why you make this connection/ remark.
When driving on the Autobahn in Germany where a cruising speed of 90-110MPH can be quite normal on the unrestricted stretches, sometimes pushing the accellerator to overtake or to just speed up for the fun of it has nothing to do with dragracing... and is not dangerous or irresponsible as many cars drive at these speeds there.

To state that sporty and fast/ high speed are 2 completely different things.. I disagree, they can perfectly mix together into a nice driving experience.
This topic just started with me asking about the topspeed with after that the topic perhaps getting away from that a bit and I do realise I am absolutely not the average driver. I am a licenced racedriver, I compete in our countries MX-5 (Miata) racecup and have a nice diverse small collection of other fast(er) cars.
This was the reasion for me before owning a Cayenne Turbo, a ML500 and the ML63 which I have for sale now, I wanted a roomy general purpose fast daily car.

Reason for getting the MDX was that I am fed up with the gas guzzling and high maintenance/ repaircost (longterm quality is a bit of an issue and disappointing with MB) of the ML63.

So I wanted a "Japanese quality sporty" (so no Audi/ BMW) SUV with V6 or V8 and choice in these is very small here, hardly anything available.
Only the Infinity FX fitted the bill, I testdrove a FX50 and it drives really nice, but that has very limited interior space and is also very rare here.
I then by accident found the MDX (one of only 2 G3 in my country, both were privatly imported) and it fitted most requirements, so I got that.
NO SUV will ever be a sportscar, but a good mix of practicality and some spirited driving capabilities would be nice.

I will have to disagree about the MDX AWD being on par with the ML amg.
The only other G3 MDX in my country IS the AWD version and was for sale too, so I have testdriven that too.
Regrettably that one just was too expensive for my taste, so I bought the FWD as daily car with keeping in mind that if I want to do some really spirited driving, I can take one of my another more sport oriëntated cars that I own too.

The AWD MDX is a bit better through the curves than the FWD MDX but still suffers from the same heavy SUV leaning over in corners, all over driving experience it is probably about the same as a regular ML, but certainly not on par with a ML63 amg.
However this is to be expected, the suspension on the amg version is quite a bit more sporty than on the regular ML and it is in a completely different price league..
By the way: according to the registration papers my ML63 weighs 2210 KG/ about 4875 lbs, so it is 400 lbs lighter than you state.. still 705 lbs more than the MDX though..

However.. all besides the point, I still don't know if the topspeed of my MDX limited to 112 mph is normal.....

#26 ·
The AWD MDX is a bit better through the curves than the FWD MDX but still suffers from the same heavy SUV leaning over in corners, all over driving experience it is probably about the same as a regular ML, but certainly not on par with a ML63 amg.

Did you hold power through the corners? the MDX is not a neutral driving vehicle at all.. You had to keep on power in order for SH-AWD to Torque Vector.. This is what makes the MDX fun to drive as it has 2 distinctive driving patterns.. OFF Power and ON Power.. The ON Power behavior is hard to achieve under a Test Drive, Specially since its someone else car and not used to it. The FWD MDX version represents the Off Power behavior in both versions. SH-AWD needs constant torque in order to work.

I driven quite a few cars in Track and the MDX best them all, Including the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7.. The only thing going for the AMG ML63 is RAW Power but its still a super heavy Compact Crossover. I know for a fact the MDX will overtake the ordinary ML63 in a track.. The AMG ML63 will make it up in straights for sure but that is to be expected considering the titanic size difference in Torque.

#25 ·
When driving on the Autobahn in Germany where a cruising speed of 90-110MPH can be quite normal on the unrestricted stretches, sometimes pushing the accellerator to overtake or to just speed up for the fun of it has nothing to do with dragracing... and is not dangerous or irresponsible as many cars drive at these speeds there.
I've driven on the Autobahn (and many other countries' freeways in Europe) many times and as I stated in my post, I agree with you here since on certain stretches on the Autobahn the overall speeds are high and therefore the relative speeds with one driving in excess of 110mph isn't nearly as great as it'd be in most places here when some vehicles are plodding along at a much lower speed. In addition, the areas of the Autobahn that I've driven on that have no speed limit are built to handle the high speeds and the driver can tend to count on that - i.e. that there won't be sharp curves, an undulating road surface, a poor quality surface, and the like since those areas are well signed in Germany. In other words - I'd feel more comfortable driving my MDX at 110mph+ in Germany on an Autobahn than on freeways in the USA. But you expressed surprise and questioned why people hadn't pushed the MDX to its top speed and I'm saying it's because the marketplace for the vehicle is primarily the USA/Canada where the conditions I indicated above apply.

It seems that an Acura/Honda service tech would be able to answer the question about the artificially limited top speed on the MDX for you. It must be stated somewhere in a shop manual of some kind. It also seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't be that difficult to defeat via a software change. Maybe some of the 'performance chip' providers for vehicles would know the answer.

#28 ·
Add negative camber to all four corners (not too much, -1 to -2 will suffice) and if possible, also add some caster, get sticky summer tires (ideally wider width and wheels to go with it too), get a custom fabricated larger rear sway bar with stiffer bushings, but as for the speed limiter... oreo.

#29 ·
No no, Obviously the AMG ML63 is a complete different Animal, It should be better in every single way...
But my comment was based from the "Sporty" comment you made before since The SH-AWD MDX is the sportiest Crossover in its class so its hard to see why you didn´t find it "Sporty".

My "Touge arena" is the infamous "Rumorosa" Mountain in Baja California, México (I call it my mini Nürburgring).. Spans across +/- 65 kilometers, change in elevation is 1250 meters (1.2km) from the base to the top and down. So its basically a test of Power (Going up), Handling (All the way) and in the way down a brutal destruction of Brakes (Going down).

The MDX has held just fine going down at around 115kph in average (Normal Average is 75kph, Max Speed Limit is 80kph for cars), Tires screeching all the way (Stock tires are not meant to do this) So with a change of All Summer performance tires it could do this as a breeze. For reference my Track tuned TL-S can do this course averaging 140kph so its pretty down right impressive for a Bone Stock crossover to do this course at that speed with stock tires.. Key thing is to keep power up all times, Including in the way down which is scary at times.

My fellow Touge drivers run 370z, BMW M3s and Mustangs.. So it was funny to get the MDX in the run without any hiccups.

#30 ·
I plan to put 8x20" ET40 wheels with 245/50, 255/50 or 255/45 tires on the MDX shortly to try out.
Hopefully the somewhat wider stance and lower profile (stiffer) tires that will have about the same total wheel weight will improve cornering directness.
Wider wheels/tyres as most people do will add extra unsprung weight and I don't want that as this will negatively affect roadholding..

#31 ·
why would anyone want to red line their suv? its not meant to be red lined and itll cause immense stress on it. Trying to get top speed on MDX and then debating why its not faster, imho, is like trying run a marathon in flip flops then being mad u didn't run faster than people with running shoes...maybe at my ripe old age of 35, somethings are beyond me...

#32 ·
This is a Honda...
Honda engines love´s to REV
And its actually why most of the powerband in your MDX is in the Top End of the REV Line, smh...

#34 ·
Nobody said the MDX is an NSX though it's just a Sporty Crossover that should be driven like such, If I wanted a boring Crossover I would have bought something cheaper.

If we drove stuff like the Meta tells us then the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is for nobody right? It will flop hard...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.