Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today for the first time I had the opportunity to try out the top speed of my US spec 2014 MDX FWD.

I had somewhat expected it to be limited to 132 MPH as this was also the case with my US spec Mercedes CLK550 which turned out to be limited to 132 MPH and then it clearly cut off, the automatic hunting between 6th and 7th gear. I heared this top speed limitation of 132 MPH to be common on US cars.
I had this changed in the ECU software to the here in Europe common 155 MPH max.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that my MDX maxed out at a much lower 112 MPH with the automatic hunting between 5th and 6th gear at that speed, so clearly also limited but why so low!!! :frown2:
Is this normal???

Anyone know if this limiter is changable in the ECU software like it could be done with the MB??

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's probably a mixture of legal reasons and tire speed ratings. And I have to agree that anything much over 90mph in a higher-than-normal suv is kinda risky. It's not a sports car, no matter what Acura might imply in their advertising.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Tires speed limit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires speed limit.
Tirespeed limit of the OE Michelin tires (which by the way are crap as on my MDX they were already showing lots of aging cracks after just 4 years (MFD 32/2013) never seen such early aging before, and thus were replaced recently) is 130 MPH, so can not really be the reason to limit the car to 112..
Here in Europe it would be unthinkable to limit a 290 bhp SUV to just 112 MPH :frown2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have your answer...

But why would you need to go faster than 132mph in a fwd mdx?

Hope you did this on an airstrip

Safe driving
Nope, wouldn'd feel the need for more then 132 MPH, that would be enough on the MDX, but 112 is a rediculously (s)low top speed limit for this car imho

I was in Germany and even though high speed driving is becoming less usual there too with more and more speed limits in place, on some parts of the autobahn there still is no limit and on these roads cruising at 100+ MPH is still quite normal.
For me, as I am not there often, when being there, it is not unusual for short distances to speed up to 130-150 just for the fun of it, because you legally can..:grin:

The fastest I ever did was 190 in a rented Lamborghini... just because I wanted to break 186.4 at least once in my life:smile2: ....but that is off topic :22:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
This is normal, Honda has governed their cars for the past +10 years..
Mostly because of legal reasons, They must know the car might behave erratically at over those speeds due to shady aerodynamics.
So while the drivetrain might be more than capable to withstand higher speeds the body work and aero might not be suitable for them.

Now why is it 112mph? this is weird as Honda has always governed their cars for 130mph... I guess perhaps the 3G FWD Drivetrain is not capable of more?
If the car is hunting for gears its probably because its looking for more power, When the governor hits it just limit throttle input. If the MDX is US Spec then the governor IS 130mph.. If the car does not hit it then is unable to due to lack of power, gearing plays a huge role in this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried it with the automatic in both D(rive) and S(port) mode and both gave the same top speed with the automatic hunting between 5-6 gear up and down with the engine at about 4200 revs.

I also used the steeringwheel shift paddle to manually put it in 5th gear and the shifthunting stopped, but it still maxed at 112 MPH so the car is 100% certain limited to 112 MPH!

Really... Am I the first G3 owner ever testing out the top speed of the car, nobody else tried it out?????

I do know that in Japan all cars are limited to 180 Km/h = 112 MPH but this is a US car...

I also found out the cruisecontrol will only work upto 90 MPH.
On my previous Porsche Cayenne, MB ML500 and MB ML63 on all the cruise worked upto 112 MPH

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I know for a fact my 2G MDX with the 5 Speed can achieve its top governed speed of 132mph... In México of course. Never tried the cruise control at those speeds, so cant tell about that..

One thing is for certain: The 2G can achieve speeds well above 130mph with the J37 so there should be no reason for your lighter 3G to max out at 112mph..

UNLESS
The 3G FWD MDX has been crippled to a lower Governed Speed by Honda..
The AWD 3G MDX should be able to hit 130mph unless it also has been governed lower.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I tried it with the automatic in both D(rive) and S(port) mode and both gave the same top speed with the automatic hunting between 5-6 gear up and down with the engine at about 4200 revs.

I also used the steeringwheel shift paddle to manually put it in 5th gear and the shifthunting stopped, but it still maxed at 112 MPH so the car is 100% certain limited to 112 MPH!

Really... Am I the first G3 owner ever testing out the top speed of the car, nobody else tried it out?????

I do know that in Japan all cars are limited to 180 Km/h = 112 MPH but this is a US car...

I also found out the cruisecontrol will only work upto 90 MPH.
On my previous Porsche Cayenne, MB ML500 and MB ML63 on all the cruise worked upto 112 MPH
I am almost 70 years old. I have never once wondered if I can hit top speed. I think it's stupid and dangerous. ESP in an SUV. I just don't understand the logic here.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
He lives in Europe, ergo the Autobahn which has no speed limit restrictions.
130mph must be the Average speed in the Autobahn so 112mph governor is "below average" Speed in there. So I don´t think its a matter of "Top Speed" rather to be able to travel at the average speed for the Autobahn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am almost 70 years old. I have never once wondered if I can hit top speed. I think it's stupid and dangerous. ESP in an SUV. I just don't understand the logic here.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to that.

However, here in Europe we have several countries that allow high(er) speed driving, with Germany being the country where on some roads, there are still no limits.

Top speed is different on all cars and to state it is stupid and dangerous is very shortsighted, it is fully depending on the car, the driver's skills and the circumstances (roadtype, traffic, etc).

I fully agree that 120 in one car may be at or over the safe limit , while in another car it is like cruising speed.
In the US, you are not used to driving higher speeds like we here in Europe are, this may be the reason for your reaction.

My ML63 AMG has a limited top speed of 155 MPH. Do I drive that fast?? hardly ever, only very occasional for the thrill of it and when road/traffic circumstances allow it. However, I quite regularly have driven 120-130 and the ML is very stable and feels safe at that speed. Is it dangerous? It can be, but so can driving 100 MPH be in a lesser car.

My point is that with a 290 BHP car like the MDX I am surprised to find that it is limited to just 112 MPH.
This type of car usually has a higher topspeed here in Europe.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You really can't compare a Mercedes AMG to the MDX. There may very well be technical reasons that we don't know about for the limits. Including costs. Also,an SUV is enharently more unstable than a sedan. AMG excepted. A sudden move because of an obstruction in the road may be no big deal at 70. Could be a different story at 130. I stand by my statement. It's your choice. Just don't take anyone with you. By the way. We aren't talking about different cars. We are talking about the MDX.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps the ML63 was a wrong example, but I used it just to state that there are loads of SUV's capable of speeds far over 112 MPH.

The "simplest" basic ML350 with 306 BHP is rated at 146 MPH here and even the compared to the MDX somewhat less technically advanced and less powerful Hyundai SantaFe's and Kia Sorento's have a higher topspeed rating than 112 MPH (resp 118 and 125 MPH).

Even the MDX's little cousin, the Honda CR-V in FWD with it's 155 BHP has a rated topspeed of 118 MPH!

As Skirmich states, his G2 seems to be able to do 130, so why can't the G3?
It isn't that I do it on a daily base, but the fact that it can't.... surprising, possibly some modern ultrasafe US spec

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The root of this issue is likely due to the MDX not actually being imported to Europe by Acura - outside of the ones they imported to Russia for awhile. The speed limiter is based on USA/Canada speed limits rather than EMEA speed limits, which would include Germany limits, hence why it's lower than one would expect. I would expect the vehicle to actually be perfectly fine mechanically to drive at higher speeds.

Rsevo - I think you acquired your MDX in an unusual way, meaning not one routinely imported into your country - correct?

btw - I've driven in Germany on a number of occasions and really enjoyed it. I found I was paying very close attention to my driving when driving at 100mph+ for long distances. I also found that when they do post a speed limit in Germany and elsewhere, they tend to really mean it and there's a very good chance of getting pulled over if one doesn't comply.

·
Registered
695 Posts
G3 is wimpier and more minivanny than G2....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rsevo - I think you acquired your MDX in an unusual way, meaning not one routinely imported into your country - correct?
The car was brought into my country by an expat, who moved from the US to The Netherlands, taking the car with him as moving goods. After being here for just over a year he sold the car as he moved abroad again.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Have anyone tried to max out a 3G MDX? no matter how I look for on Youtube it doesn´t seem to be anyone that have recorded a top speed run.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts