Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I found this video a little creepy. The Acura engineer carries dummies into the MDX like they are real. In a real test, there is no need to make them so life-like, right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Actually it would be cool to make them super lifelike, so when they do those crash dummy tests there are fake brains splattered all over the windshield and fake guts strewn all over the cabin! /kidding

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found this video a little creepy. The Acura engineer carries dummies into the MDX like they are real. In a real test, there is no need to make them so life-like, right?

I think the point of the ad is the Acura Engineers design the car's safety with real people in mind and not dummies.

A little bit creepy, yes, but it worked for me. It is definitely better than the TLX TV ad they have where the driver upshifts the paddle and showed the RPM went up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You missed the point. He was thinking of HIS family when he carried the dummies. If you pay attention to the details you'll notice that he was wearing a wedding band and the driver dummy was actually himself. They're trying to show us that the engineers who designed the car were doing it as if they were doing it for their families ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interestingly, the MDX basically outscored the XC90 which is quite impressive. While both cars are a Top Safety Pick+, the MDX scored Green/Good in EVERY single test case, where the XC90 scored green in every one except the Side Torso test where it got average. It's remarkable on both accounts that both cars did so well, but the MDX got top marks on every sub-category where Volvo missed that by one test.

·
Registered
73 Posts
kinda hard to believe. especially if they rank higher than Lexus or Volvo.

is it possible that Acura designed the cars to Ace all tests? but real world performance is another matter. Like the 9 speed auto, it looks great on paper, but terrible to use.

·
Registered
366 Posts
kinda hard to believe. especially if they rank higher than Lexus or Volvo.

is it possible that Acura designed the cars to Ace all tests? but real world performance is another matter. Like the 9 speed auto, it looks great on paper, but terrible to use.
LOL, no love for the 9spd here. I think it is just different and progress sometimes takes getting used to.

There are so many micro tests now on these IHS tests that it's hard to imagine building a car that aces all the tests but is otherwise unsafe. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Honda and Subaru are two companies that have been actively designing for safety and the new small overlap tests. Not very surprising, but still good to be recognized. Toyotas have been known to fail the new small overlap on their initial models and then reinforces their cars the model year after to reach the good ratings, but not usually for Top Safety Pick stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts