Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story. We need a bigger ride as we have a new Kid on the way (number 2) and we decided (my Wife and her Mom actually ganged up on me) should have something with the option of a 3rd seat in case we want to bring some little cousins along to Great America etc. Anyway, my Wife has a fairly new Lexus ES300 and I have a Lexus RX300 (small SUV). We are keeping the RX300 and selling my Wife's Sedan. After shopping around I inadvertantly ran across the MDX while looking at Honda Odysseys. I fell instantly in love. Why drive a minivan when you can have THAT kind of sheer badness? I ask you...

Long story short? I want the MDX. Oh man, I just CAN'T let my Wife have it... If I don't get it for me I will die. I'm so sick of my RX300 and compared to the Acura MDX it looks like a " little girl car". So let me ask you...How can I talk the little Woman into seeing the light here? Come on Guys, give me some ideas...

TOP TEN REASONS WHY THE HUSBAND SHOULD GET TO KEEP THE MDX

1. SHE got the last new car (read "it's my turn") :eek:
2. Hey. You don't work. It's MY money! (probably not a good one there) :D
3. The Lexus RX300 is more "feminine" (that might work)
4. I desperately NEED a boost in my life since our sex life has taken such a nose dive since she's been pregnant?
5. I would look SO much better in it?
6. It's such a studly vehicle she might be mistaken for being gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that). :rolleyes:
7. It's way too sexy of a vehicle and I don't want her to have to deal with a bunch of guys hitting on her?
8. I found it. It's mine, mine, mine!!!
9. She gets the joy of giving birth and all I get is this stinkin' Car?
10. Too bad. I'm taking it!

Seriously. Help me out. How can I make the MDX mine? :D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This sounds like a question for Click & Clack, the Car Talk guys!

Why can't it be let the car belong to both of you!
Then while she is driving it, you think I am such an nice guy, I let my wife drive my car. And damn, she does look good in it too!

Then when you drive it, "Ah, it's so nice to drive my car! I bet I look great in it too!"

Oh, the tales and woes of greater suburbia!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Try a few of the following:

1. If you take the RX, you will not have to worry about door dings.
2. If I get this one, you can have the next one!
3. If you get in trouble, Lexus has better roadside service (not sure if this is true but don't let facts get in the way of a persuasive reason!)
4. 3 out of 4 women prefer being seen in a Lexus (again, ignore facts).
5. The male ego is a very delicate thing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A2MDXer said:
Try a few of the following:

1. If you take the RX, you will not have to worry about door dings.

Good luck.
Please explain why an RX cannot get door dings?????

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think he meant that it doesn't matter if the RX gets door dings!

I just kept the MDX - didn't give her a key to it! However, she has my 02 TL-S which was the 'you got the last new car, this one's mine' car that I got for myself last August - Black on Black, very macho! I keep saying that the MDX is her car, and I'll give it up when it's ready - I'm adding some options (actually, I've already added the options, now I'm just 'road testing' them!) and when it's ready she can have it.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Your only problem, is the MDX is safer than the RX300. Wouldn't you want the baby in the safer car? Oops, what am I doing? I'm arguing for your wife!! Sorry...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have an RX 300 & MDX

so I have your answers!!:4:

1. The RX 300 has auto up & down on all the windows - so it's easier for the wife to use.
2. The RX 300 can remotely open all the windows incl the sunroof - so your wife can "cool" off easier :)
3. The RX is smaller & more "feminine"
4. The RX has much better quality leather - you'll "suffer" with the MDX's lower quality "leather trim".
5. The RX can burn regular gas - why make the wife pay for premium?
6. The MDX is too "masculine" (oh I know I am going to get replies from the ladies here - DMOR - I can hear it now :4: :5: )
7. The RX has that cool place between the front seats for your wife's purse.
8. The MDX has a tighter turning radius - for all the U-turns you make from listening to the Navi......

I guess I better quit while I am ahead ( or behind) who knows.........

All I know is my wife drives RX & loves it & I drive the MDX & love it. :10:

Both are great cars -

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Your only problem, is the MDX is safer than the RX300. Wouldn't you want the baby in the safer car? Oops, what am I doing? I'm arguing for your wife!! Sorry...
The RX300 also scored 5 stars of 5 in the crash tests - so it's just as safe!!:2:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
681 Posts
How Bout................

Cause she loooooooooves you :10:

Might work, it's how I got mine :12:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: I have an RX 300 & MDX

texrb said:
so I have your answers!!:4:

1. The RX 300 has auto up & down on all the windows - so it's easier for the wife to use.
2. The RX 300 can remotely open all the windows incl the sunroof - so your wife can "cool" off easier :)
3. The RX is smaller & more "feminine"
4. The RX has much better quality leather - you'll "suffer" with the MDX's lower quality "leather trim".
5. The RX can burn regular gas - why make the wife pay for premium?
6. The MDX is too "masculine" (oh I know I am going to get replies from the ladies here - DMOR - I can hear it now :4: :5: )
7. The RX has that cool place between the front seats for your wife's purse.
8. The MDX has a tighter turning radius - for all the U-turns you make from listening to the Navi......

I guess I better quit while I am ahead ( or behind) who knows.........

All I know is my wife drives RX & loves it & I drive the MDX & love it. :10:

Both are great cars -
LOL! :D

Good Stuff here! The RX300 IS an awesome vehicle, no question about it and it drives like a dream... I'm just kinda in the mood for something different. Oddly, I was fine with my RX300 when my Wife had her eyes on a Toyota Sienna...

I do have a question for texrb though... Do you have both SUV's in the garage, and if so, how well do they both fit? Can you open the doors fairly easily and climb in okay? Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I let my wife drive the 'X during the work day. But for the weekend. 'X is my baby... :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Who gets to drive the MDX? Husband or Wife?

I need a poll here. It seems that the husbands buy the MDX and wifes get to drive it anyway. So if that is the case, you can buy it and claim it is yours, but if you don't hind the keys, forget it!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My story. My 12 year old Volvo was ready to be replaced. My wife decided that the MDX was perfect (for her). I was to have her 3 year old Volvo. When we got the MDX, I HAD TO HAVE IT!

Long story short...my wife now drives a 2002 BMW 530i and we are now both happy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it were me, I would go with 1, 3 and 8, especially 1. That is how we operate in my household, new cars are alternated. As far as number 3, I have always said the RX is one of the most feminine autos on the road today, bar none.

And then there's number 8. Explain to her that you wouldn't even have the X if you hadn't found it. Finders keepers. But if all else fails, you will just have to pull out 10.

Good call on 2, and I probably wouldn't touch 4 or 9 with a 10 foot pole either.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The RX is made for women, ergonomically.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That's a pretty hefty price to pay to keep the 'X -- I guess it's worth it, though!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You bet its worth it...we're both happy with our babies...

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Compliments never hurt!!

Hmmmm, I'd limit the use of those “feminine” comments about the RX....you could get the opposite reaction out of your wife. I was actually turned off by the looks of both the RX and the ML320 for that reason (they might as well have been pink w/ Barbie license plates on the back...and no, i'm not gay :rolleyes: ).

On the other hand, the X definitely has sex appeal... I know I’ve been attracting attention in it ;) I'd use the "I don't want other men hitting on you, because you're mine" angle... I'm not married, but I'm thinking MAJOR BROWNIE POINTS THERE!!! :d

Hmmmm, maybe there actually ARE some benefits to being single-- no fighting over the 'X.... it's ALLLLLLLL mine :2:

Dana

1 - 20 of 42 Posts