Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. New to MDX forum.

I have a 2008 MDX with approx 45K miles.

I took the car in for a B16 service and ultimately just did the oil change and rear differential fluid. It was $150.

The SA gave me a list of things I need to get done:

1. Transmission Fluid
2. Power Steering Fluid
3. Brake Fluid
4. Collant Flush
5. Fuel Injection Service
6. Transfer Case
7. Cabin and Engine Air Filters
8. Timing Belt

Also, I need a AC Charge as well

I was taken a back a bit since this all amounted to close to $2900.

How do I know if I really need this stuff?

I was thinking about taking it to Pep Boys - there prices are less.

If it matters, I do have the Acura Care Extended Warranty on the car.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Timing belt is due every 7 years, and by my math you have a 7 year old vehicle.

If you ignored it when it said a 3 service was due however many thousand miles ago that was, then the transmission and transfer case are way overdue.

Brake fluid is due every 3 years.

If you ignored it when it said a 2 service was due or if you operate the vehicle in a particularly dirty/smoggy area, then that's probably why they want the cabin and air filter.

Coolant flush, fuel injection, and power steering flush are all things you don't really need.

Your extended warranty covers none of that as they are all maintainence items.

What may be covered is whatever potential leak there is in the system that has your refrigerant charge low that they think you need the A/C system serviced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you can do these yourself, you'll save a ton.

1. Transmission Fluid - Yes, if never done
2. Power Steering Fluid - Really doubt that needs to be done
3. Brake Fluid - Every three years
4. Collant Flush - Believe that will last 100k miles or more before needing to be changed.
5. Fuel Injection Service - You can buy a bottle of the cleaner and add it to a tank of gas.
6. Transfer Case - Yeah, if never done
7. Cabin and Engine Air Filters - Please watch a youtube and do these yourself.
8. Timing Belt - Seriously? I'd say 100k or more miles for that too.

I haven't tried it, but what about those DIY kits I have seen advertised?

Anyway, you are wise to not rely on the dealer to tell you what the truck needs. It's like asking a bankruptcy lawyer if you should file bankruptcy.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
4,5,8 are bs. others are due.

·
Registered
169 Posts
4,5,8 are bs. others are due.
Changing your coolant is not BS, especially if you've never done it. You should change your coolant between 30k-50k or every 3/4 years. It is a pretty easy DIY, see link below for my DIY step by step guide.

Also, the Transmission Fluid, Transfer Case, Differential Fluid and Power Steering Fluid are all VERY easy DIY jobs as well. You don't need any special tools and don't need to put the car on a lift or jack stands. They are all cheap insurance. Engine air filters and cabin air filters are also super easy as you probably know.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/55914-diy-guide-step-step-how-change-coolant-acura-mdx-w-pictures.html

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Changing coolant is tied with changing timing belt for all practical purpose. the coolant is good for 10 years first time. Then 5 years afterwards. Changing coolant this year and changing TB next year seems wasteful.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sigh. I love Internet forums. Everyone is an expert!

8. Timing Belt - Seriously? I'd say 100k or more miles for that too.

Anyway, you are wise to not rely on the dealer to tell you what the truck needs.
You're right. Let him take it to Pep Boys where they'll let a kid who's barely out of school or a burnout tech who could never make it to the big leagues (either way, they don't know what they're doing) look at the vehicle and use second rates parts.

Timing belt is made from rubber. Rubber deteriorates over time whether you put miles on the vehicle or not. It says in your owner's manual that it gets done at 7 years or 105k miles, whichever comes first.

You should change your coolant between 30k-50k or every 3/4 years.
Close. It's 5 years or 60k miles.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Changing coolant is tied with changing timing belt for all practical purpose. the coolant is good for 10 years first time. Then 5 years afterwards. Changing coolant this year and changing TB next year seems wasteful.
Coolant will get drained with the timing belt as most shops will want to replace the water pump with the timing belt.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You're inferring that the OP is going to change the timing belt next year. I agree that if he plans on changing that in the next 12 months, then save some time and money and do them both at the same time.

I agree that you absolutely should not take your MDX to pep boys, they no doubt will hack something up.

Lastly, my references to a "recommended" change interval are not based on Acura or Honda's maintenance schedule. They are based on real world experience with a multitude of makes and models over many years. I won't go on a long rant here, but suffice to say that almost every manufacturer has slowly extended the intervals for many fluids for one simple reason: ease of ownership. A token example is BMW's "Lifetime" fluids. Really, lifetime?

Anyway, we could argue all day, but a gallon of coolant costs about $15 and about an hour of your time. Especially if you're tackling a few other jobs, might as well do them together. VERY CHEAP INSURANCE if you plan to own your vehicle for a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the info.
If not the dealer, and not Pep Boys - where to go?

I had my brakes done at Pep Boys...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
How many dealers do you have nearby? Maybe see if there's another one that won't try to get you to do unnecessary stuff. Follow SuperTech's advice they know what they are talking about.

On a side note, that's why I love Honda/Acura with their service codes. Stick to the codes for maintenance (plus the brake fluid every 3 years) and you should be good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sigh. I love Internet forums. Everyone is an expert!.

No one recommended Peps Boys. He can find better places than that, but he definitely should not rely on rip off dealers who make up their own maintenance schedules regardless of what the manufacturer recommends, just so they can make a ton of money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We are driving Hondas even jiffy lube can work on these cars :)
On a side note i would change everything this is what I did at 100K miles last year

Timing belt
Water pump
Serpentine belt
Idler pulleys
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Triple drained transmission fluid
Transfer case drain and fill
Rear differential drain and fill
Coolant change
Brake fluid change
Power steering fluid change
Brakes
Battery
Vipers
Spark plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Mobil one full syn oil
Oil filter
Bearings

Among other things still many more things that need to be done

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

I took the car in for a B16 service and ultimately just did the oil change and rear differential fluid. It was $150.

1. Transmission Fluid
This should be done every other oil change IMO
2. Power Steering Fluid
You should do this every 3 years
3. Brake Fluid
You should do this every 2-3 years
4. Collant Flush
This is done with the 105K/7year service, should be done every 7 years
Throw a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel cleaner in every oil change
6. Transfer Case
This should be done every 45-60K
Done every 30K, buy them online and do it yourself
8. Timing Belt
Done at 105K or 7 years. The belts look fine even after 10 years so it's not a necessity at the moment. You could wait until 10 years before having to worry.

Go to a honda dealer and have them evacuate the system, check for leaks and refill it properly with oil and refrigerant. Topping it off is not the way to do it.

Thank you.
See bold, Acuracare does not cover maintenance to the car. A majority of the cost is the 105K service which is already inflated by dealers. Honda charges around $1200 to do EVERYTHING which includes new belts, pullies, bolts, water pump & coolant, spark plugs, gaskets, spark plug tube seals, front main seal, coolant flush, valve adjustment, new tensioners, etc.

Do the A/C properly and also enjoy your ride! 45K is nothing for an 08 MDX! I'm at 110K+

·
Registered
224 Posts
We are driving Hondas even jiffy lube can work on these cars :)
On a side note i would change everything this is what I did at 100K miles last year

Timing belt
Water pump
Serpentine belt
Idler pulleys
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Coolant change
Brake fluid change
Brakes
Battery
Vipers
Spark plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Mobil one full syn oil
Oil filter
Bearings

Which bearings did you replace?

·
Registered
263 Posts

1. Transmission Fluid
2. Power Steering Fluid
3. Brake Fluid
4. Collant Flush
6. Transfer Case
8. Timing Belt
Done at 105K or 7 years. The belts look fine even after 10 years so it's not a necessity at the moment. You could wait until 10 years before having to worry.

Go to a honda dealer and have them evacuate the system, check for leaks and refill it properly with oil and refrigerant. Topping it off is not the way to do it.

Thank you.
See bold, Acuracare does not cover maintenance to the car. A majority of the cost is the 105K service which is already inflated by dealers. Honda charges around $1200 to do EVERYTHING which includes new belts, pullies, bolts, water pump & coolant, spark plugs, gaskets, spark plug tube seals, front main seal, coolant flush, valve adjustment, new tensioners, etc.

Do the A/C properly and also enjoy your ride! 45K is nothing for an 08 MDX! I'm at 110K+

1. Transmission Fluid
2. Power Steering Fluid
3. Brake Fluid
4. Collant Flush
6. Transfer Case
8. Timing Belt

Thank you.

Just valve adjustment and parts will be around $1200 no way labor is that cheap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We are driving Hondas even jiffy lube can work on these cars

Timing belt
Water pump
Serpentine belt
Idler pulleys
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Coolant change
Brake fluid change
Brakes
Battery
Vipers
Spark plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Mobil one full syn oil
Oil filter
Bearings

Which bearings did you replace?

Wheels bearings were noisy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd agree with most people here.

My coolant looks FINE.
Transfer case and transmission flush would do.
Fuel injection??? I thought the fuel spec for these things was premium, which should have fuel injection system detergents already in the fuel???
Filters take five minutes do them yourself.

$2,900 sounds like a money grab. I'd sack your SA and go look up a guru MDXer in your area.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just valve adjustment and parts will be around $1200 no way labor is that cheap.
Honda has a special for $599 for the timing belt and water pump. Most of the stuff is taken apart already so it's only 2 more hours of labor to do the rest of the pullies and such.

I bought the parts online from acuraoemparts for around $300 shipped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts