Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Loosen the drain bolt until it starts to drip slowly, so you can keep better control on how much you will drain.
My 2c
J.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have siphoned oil out for an oil change. It is slow, perhaps 1qt/hr. A long piece of 1/4" OD tube req'd. I started siphon w/ a special air hose suction fitting.

good luck

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have siphoned oil out for an oil change. It is slow, perhaps 1qt/hr. A long piece of 1/4" OD tube req'd. I started siphon w/ a special air hose suction fitting.

good luck

You feed the 1/4” tube through the dipstick tubing and you gave a little suction with your mouth and than lowered the tube on the ground for the siphon to take action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The tube would work fine, but you'll need to get suction from an air compressor or use a manual pump. How much too full are we talking? You could drop the filter and lose maybe 1/2 quart at a time. Install a new filter when you get it low enough. It's not easy to get a drain plug installed without losing almost all your oil

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tube would work fine, but you'll need to get suction from an air compressor or use a manual pump. How much too full are we talking? You could drop the filter and lose maybe 1/2 quart at a time. Install a new filter when you get it low enough. It's not easy to get a drain plug installed without losing almost all your oil

The fking dealer just overfilled my mom TL when she did her oil change. Way above the top line like where I marked here in this picture. Looks like these all acura dealer fills 5 quarts by default for every oil change for all type of cars so it would make their job easier. Fking ahole!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Although you should always strive to be in the lines, I don't think being that far over will cause any problems, either.

But if she paid a shop to change the oil, then she should take it back and make them fix it!

Reactions: phins2rt

·
Registered
218 Posts
The fking dealer just overfilled my mom TL when she did her oil change. Way above the top line like where I marked here in this picture. Looks like these all acura dealer fills 5 quarts by default for every oil change for all type of cars so it would make their job easier. Fking ahole!!

Don’t worry. The way these Honda engines eat oil, she will be in range before you know it.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don’t worry. The way these Honda engines eat oil, she will be in range before you know it.

This is my mom’s 07 TL and I don’t think it consuming oil like the X. Other thing I noticed is the bottom of the engine is coated with oil and I am afraid that too much oil will cause it to leak through the gaskets. It too damn cold here in Boston (26 F and wet) to crawl under the car. And besides, she live in the city and street parking in the heart of the city of Boston. I just fixed her car on the street while cars are constantly passing by!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok then I just leave way it is if you said it’s ok. Too much trouble to remove the oil on a busy city street parking like Boston. My mom’s apartment is only 5 minuets drive to the Copley Square if you are familiar with Boston.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Regarding your photo, with the oil level up to the letter "A":

If that was the level, with a hot engine....don't worry about it and leave it alone.

If that was the level, with a cold engine...remove the oil filter, empty the oil filter, put the oil filter back on and you're done.

Most people use aluminum foil around the oil filter area, to be able to direct the oil into an oil pan and to keep the oil off of the cross member.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regarding your photo, with the oil level up to the letter "A":

If that was the level, with a hot engine....don't worry about it and leave it alone.

If that was the level, with a cold engine...remove the oil filter, empty the oil filter, put the oil filter back on and you're done.

Most people use aluminum foil around the oil filter area, to be able to direct the oil into an oil pan and to keep the oil off of the cross member.

That is when the engine is stone cold in the morning before the engine started. To me it looks like the dealer dumped 5 quarts instead of 4.5 quarts based on the service record. If the TL is ok with 5 quarts of engine oil then I am ok with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.