Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to increase the tongue weight on a 2023 MDX Apsec that already has the factory recommended tow package with cooling kit?
Its stated as 500lbs but i want to pull a trailer with a hitch weight of 495 lbs. Very little wiggle room in this equation and trailers are always a bit heavier than stated IMO.

· Registered
110 Posts
Pack the trailer behind the axle

· Registered
244 Posts
Run a weight distribution hitch. Though I would guess the factory MDX max tow limit also has some conservatism built in also though if you get in an accident and are over 5000lbs insurance is a different thing. Also you limits are reduced by occupants/gear in the MDX also, keep that in mind. Defn want trailer brakes also.

· Registered
49 Posts
If that's an unladen tongue weight, you're going to be way over by the time you're loaded. The only real option is to use a weight distribution hitch, but I have a feeling you're going to be limited by payload capacity anyway. You could remove a few lbs from the vehicle to help, like the spare tire and possibly the rear seats, but I'm not sure how much that will really help here. Check your door sticker for max payload number and remember that includes fuel and occupant weight as well as the trailer tongue weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts