Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take delivery of my 2002 GG MDX Premium tomorrow. I finally decided from what I've seen that the Pilot will not be a worthy contender.

However, I have some questions for the respected experts of this forum:

I have a credit of $295.00 from the dealership to put towards accessories. Should I spend the whole thing on the protection package (cargo tray, wheel locks, rear mud flaps)? I could put it towards a cd changer, or buy bodyside moldings. Any suggestions based upon the pricing that I can buy items at from Tim?

Also, I will be doing a lot of highway driving; hence lots of stone chips and bugs. What is the best way to protect the front end of my MDX? I have thought about a bra, but I have heard they are sometimes more harm than good.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Tray, locks and flaps are better for $295 than the BSMs, that's for sure. Either way, it's too much.

How 'bout seeing if you can apply the $295 credit to service?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thee worm.....

So what you are saying is that the protection package is not worth having? I know I can purchase the BSM's from tim fairly reasonable.

I really am curious about the best means to protect the front end from stone chips and bugs.

Also, whats the best way to condition the leather without making it slick, greasy or slippery? I am hoping foor a soft, supple feel.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
No, tray locks and flaps are definitely worth having IMO. Just thinking in terms of your dealer's markup vs. Tim's prices. The protection package is 50% higher than Tim's price, whereas the BSMs are double.

I'd suggest getting a list of accessories w/associated prices from your dealer, then comparing to Tim. Spend the $295 dealer credit on stuff that's not at such a high premium to Tim's prices, and spend your own $ on the balance from Tim.

Best front-end protection is a 3M film product. Do a search for Stone Guard or Stone Gard (put the words together, too) as it's sold under a number of OEM'd brand names (I'm guessing here -- can't remember). A number of folks have had it installed. Not cheap ($500+ as I recall), but the best protection.

Bra is OK but there is always the risk of debris underneath causing scratches, wind buffeting causing marring, and moisture causing clouded paint/clearcoat...plus the fact that the paint will fade at a different rate. No one has complained about any of these w/the MDX bra, however...just some risks w/bras in general.

Lexol and Zaino appear to be the site-faves for leather treatments. Info in the detailing forum on both.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Double check with your dealer. I have $300 off on accessories. My dealer just take it off from MSRP, instead of asking me to buy the accessories when I am finalize the paper work.

If you really have to buy them while you are picking up the X. Just buy them from counter. Do NOT ask them to install for you. Their charge too much for installation.

Good luck..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts