Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal.

We were looking to trade in our current x for a certified navi/res. We go to the dealership where we've been very happy service customers. They have a few to choose from with basically same equip. They vary in price by a few grand due to mileage/interior condition. Two silver ones are almost exactly the same except for interior color and one doesn't have a spoiler and running boards. We're looking for a deal and they're playing the "internet no haggle price." We ask which one they would be willing to work the most with. The manager tells the salesman a stock number and he gets the keys.

After the test drive and negotiations, we decide to pull the trigger. We were getting a good price on a cert x and they gave us an acceptable price for our trade. We were very excited. The salesman comes to my office with our papers. I review it all and didn't have the vehicle to check the vin, but did confirm the mileage of the new x is right. We are all happy and my wife swaps out the cars and goes home.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD. We show it off, it's a sweet car. 4 hours after we get home, we get a frantic call from our salesman that we took home the wrong car and he is on his way to swap it out. If we look at the bill of sale, the stock numer and vin don't match they car we have. We ask if he is nuts! We have the car we test drove and the one we were intersted in from the start. He is doing everything possible as far as buying extended warranty plans and accessories out of his own pocket if we will take this other car tonight. I say no, his paperwork is wrong. He can bring us our old x or bring us our new paperwork. The car he saya we bought was listed for a 1000 less and didn't have running boards or the spoiler. He is a mess, says he will do anything to save face with the dealership. It was something to consider, but we ended up keeping our car because we like the one we have.

When we told them our decision, they were very apologetic and nice about it and explained the salesman made a mistake, and showed us the wrong car. I felt like they were asking me to consider that I was getting a good deal because of a mistake. I signed the revised paperwork and went back to work.

My wife said to drop it because they would have screwed us out of a 1000 and wouldn't even think twice. I know they are still making money on the deal, but have this strange feeling like I stole it from them. Thoughts? Should I just feel lucky that I made out on the good end? I like the service department and will be back.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
They made a mistake and you gave them an option: Return my car or correct the paper work.

They decided to redo the paper work.

End of story.

JeffK

·
Registered
262 Posts
They did the right thing by eating it IMO. Also, running boards? If they are buying lease returns those don't add a penny to what they are paying for them and really barely affect the value of them on a wholesale level... that's why you can't residualize them on a lease!

Anyhow, It happens, when we make a mistake, it's out fault and we eat it, period. We did this about 10 days ago actually!

I had 3 Pearl White CPO MDXs on the lot, a Navi 04, a Navi 05 and a base Touring 06.

Well the 06, even without Nav as a 30k mile truck is worth more than the 48k mile Navi 05 Touring.

Salesman quoted the customer what we had the 05 Navi listed for and showed him the 30k mile 06 Touring.

End result? We made $280 on the 06 Touring but I sucked it up, the guy's a good salesman, he made an honest mistake, we ate it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
BillHeart:

From your last post I gather you are either an owner or employed by Acura.

Residual: Actually only accessories that come with the car can be residualized. Any accessories added by the dealer, roof rack for instance, are not residualized.

JeffK

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jeff,

I'm the used car manager at an Acura dealership. Ideally we'll be sponsoring the site starting in May.

You are correct on the accessories, dealer-installed accessories cannot be residualized last I checked. Again, I'm the used car manager and I don't pay super close attention to the new car department (Unless they want a trade-in appraised!) so don't quote me as gospel.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the deal.

We were looking to trade in our current x for a certified navi/res. We go to the dealership where we've been very happy service customers. They have a few to choose from with basically same equip. They vary in price by a few grand due to mileage/interior condition. Two silver ones are almost exactly the same except for interior color and one doesn't have a spoiler and running boards. We're looking for a deal and they're playing the "internet no haggle price." We ask which one they would be willing to work the most with. The manager tells the salesman a stock number and he gets the keys.

After the test drive and negotiations, we decide to pull the trigger. We were getting a good price on a cert x and they gave us an acceptable price for our trade. We were very excited. The salesman comes to my office with our papers. I review it all and didn't have the vehicle to check the vin, but did confirm the mileage of the new x is right. We are all happy and my wife swaps out the cars and goes home.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD. We show it off, it's a sweet car. 4 hours after we get home, we get a frantic call from our salesman that we took home the wrong car and he is on his way to swap it out. If we look at the bill of sale, the stock numer and vin don't match they car we have. We ask if he is nuts! We have the car we test drove and the one we were intersted in from the start. He is doing everything possible as far as buying extended warranty plans and accessories out of his own pocket if we will take this other car tonight. I say no, his paperwork is wrong. He can bring us our old x or bring us our new paperwork. The car he saya we bought was listed for a 1000 less and didn't have running boards or the spoiler. He is a mess, says he will do anything to save face with the dealership. It was something to consider, but we ended up keeping our car because we like the one we have.

When we told them our decision, they were very apologetic and nice about it and explained the salesman made a mistake, and showed us the wrong car. I felt like they were asking me to consider that I was getting a good deal because of a mistake. I signed the revised paperwork and went back to work.

My wife said to drop it because they would have screwed us out of a 1000 and wouldn't even think twice. I know they are still making money on the deal, but have this strange feeling like I stole it from them. Thoughts? Should I just feel lucky that I made out on the good end? I like the service department and will be back.
That's a strange experience

1 - 10 of 10 Posts