Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello and what's up to everyone.
Next, the sad and painfull portion of this thread, my MDX was keyed. It happened a couple of months ago and I am torn on whether or not to have the scratches repaired. If I do have it repaired the two body shops I went to said I need to have the entire panels painted, and since the damage covers the hood, driver's fender, and tailgate, I would have to have what seems like almost half of my MDX painted. Not a pretty thought. And I know not even the best body shop paint job can match the factory paint. The two body shops gave quotes of around 2,000 and my deductible is 500. Most people don't notice the scratches unless I point them out, but ofcourse I see them every day. So I ask for your friendly opinion, would you repair the scratches and paint almost half the vehicle, or learn to live with the scratches? Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
left fender

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tail gate

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hey Gokings...that stinks! :11:

Body shops always want to do repaints. Have you taken it to a good detailer to see if they could buff out those scratches?

Based on your pics, it doesn't look like they're down to the bare metal (with the exception of the tailgate, which looks pretty deep) and you might be able to buff 'em out enough to satisfy :confused:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Color matched wax

You may also want to try one of those color matched waxes that supposedly fills in light scratches. Don't know how well it works but it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DentPro

Try DentPro or alike. They will either buff it or repaint the area, if buff won't work. The price is relatively cheaper than body shops.

I had them come over to fix a similar scratch. They eliminated the scratch, but "they" (not me) didn't like how it looked, so no charge to me at all.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not to get off the subject, but do you think that this was a random act of vandalism ? Did this happen in a public place (like Staples center lot) or at home in your driveway ? Just curious since I'm also from the L.A. area . . . Not to get paranoid, but maybe we'll use the wife's car when we go out into that nasty jungle out there . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Must paint (or fix however possible). It will drive you crazy and you will have to fix it before selling anyway!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a couple of scratches, too. (Kid's bike handle, arggh). My husband buffed the worst one out so it's about 85% gone, which works for me - can't see it unless right light and looking carefully. Definitely worth trying first.

I was so crushed when I first saw them... my sympathies to you...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bummer, gokings55. But as some have said, check on many of the products out there that will take out, or help cover those surface type scratches. I've even used very fine emory paper ( like 4000-6000 grit) on edges. You might also check out a detailer that knows how to buff out/ off scratches in the clear coat. Good luck

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
To paint or not to paint

By the look at the pictures that you have posted, here are a couple of things you need to do and will help you in making a decision as to whether you will paint or buff it out.

1)take your index finger and with the edge of your finger move your nail of your index finger over the scratch. (perpendicular to the scratch) if your nail catches on to the scratch then you need to repaint the surface.

2) if you look closely, a magnifying glass will help look at the scratch, if the scratch goes to the primer or metal surface of your car the you need to repaint.

If those #1 and #2 applies to you, buffing will not help and color match wax will in short term help to discuise it but will not last and eventually show the scratch again.

I have to bear the bad news but from the looks of the pics you may need to repaint. As for the scratch on the plastic bummer you will need to repaint, buffering using a scratch removal and such will not remove the indentation that the "key" made on your bumber.

My other recommendation is to make sure that the approved paint shop understand the color keycode of Honda and Acura. If you notice on each panel, there should be a code showing the color. With computer mixing the certified paint shop should be able to mix the color well for you that will make an excellent match. Good Luck!

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it is not into the primer or metal you could possibly have the panels re clear coated. That won't need a color match. Even if the bumper needs to be repainted that does not have to match perfectly.

I have a painted delfector from Tim and it matches good enough that I cannot tell.

Chris

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful and insightful replies. Yes, the scratch in the hood in particular is past the clear coat and practically down to the metal. The rest, except bumper could be greatly reduced by buffing. So to fix it right most likely means repainting. I've have thought about waiting for the inevitable more scratches to come and then doing them all. Ah well, we'll see. I'll post my results after any action I take. Thanks again to everyone.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you usually trade, don't paint, just live with it. Appraisers usually will notice even trace amounts of paintwork and will act as though your unit was was totalled:(
Or if you have your dealer do the work you can always whine to him later on;)
If your keepin' her forever........is the paint dry yet?

The key-thug probably bought a Exploder w0%interest (&residual value)

Like I said when I was in HELL(ford store):
"Keep the shiny side up!"

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hopefully, this is good news.
If the deductible is $500, why would you be concerned over how much the job will cost? You will pay at least $500 no matter what you do, whether you attempt to have the panels colorsanded and polished, or all the panels repainted. Pay the 5 bills and take back a car that you enjoy walking up to again. It's not necessarily true that the paint job can't be as good as the factory paint. Believe it or not, some custom car nuts take brand spanking new cars to be repainted with a half dozen or so layers to give the car finish incredible depth and gloss. The factory paint is as good as the finishers who must still sand and polish the paint by hand, at least that's my understanding, its a job that can't be automated. If it is done completely right (in other words "expensive"), you should have a very difficult time telling which panels were repainted. Anyhow, let the insurance company pick up the tab for the best paint job you can find.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Wife's has scratched/dented her car several times and had it fixed. It is a 1 year old Volvo. You cant tell it was ever painted or repaired. Each time she went to a differnt repair place so she wont be embarrased. (she backed into our mailbox, our basketball hoop stand, and a parking lot poll).

DaleB,

Congratulations on making over 1000 posts in such a short time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
On your next service, call your dealership in advance to check if they have touchup service. Usually runs about $100 for simple job, much much cheaper than body shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts