Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pick up my new MDX next week and I am sure the issue of Lojack will come up. I wanted to get some advice on the usefullness of the product in the real world. Has anyone ever used it? I am familiar with all the hype the dealers use to push the product, but I passed on my last vehicle purchase. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful, also how much do they typically charge for the option?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Lo-Jack

If you are serious about protecting your investment..The Lo-Jack is the best automobile recovery system in the world.

Everyone has alarms, they are useless, Wheel locks are useless...the only thing that I see is a way to recover your vehicle during a autotheft is the Lo-Jack.

It works!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
BTW

The way Lo-Jack works is the system has a black box that is a tracking device for the local police and authority when the system is set off when an autotheft occurs.

This blackbox notifies the police wher your VIN is registered and like a homing device the police uses a tracking device to track exactly where your vehicle is. Recovery is like 95 percent.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
And if it does not work...they will refund the cost of the LoJack!

Quite the guarantee! LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
As a side note ...

Just recently in Va. Police finally apprehended a con artist who had printed fake checks and bought several luxury cars (Acuras, Lexus', etc.). The man was finally caught by the Lojack system installed in the Acura he last bought. All the cars were parked in a row outside on the street ... he even had a NSX. Lojack works.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Lo-Jack

Fireblade6 said:
If you are serious about protecting your investment..The Lo-Jack is the best automobile recovery system in the world.

Everyone has alarms, they are useless, Wheel locks are useless...the only thing that I see is a way to recover your vehicle during a autotheft is the Lo-Jack.

It works!
It's a double-edged sword if you ask me. Although I did install it in my MDX and it basically pays itself off in 4 years with the discount I got from the insurance company, there are other things to consider.
If your vehicle is stolen (god forbid) for parts (at least 75% of the time), it gets stripped in 2-3 hours, so if it was stolen at night and you discover the theft in the morning and police tracks the vehicle by noon... The worst part comes if the insurance company determines that missing both airbags, front dash, etc. is not a total loss - then it may become a problem. I've heard some stories in this regard!

On the other hand, it may help if your vehicle is taken by 'force' or the parking attendant decides to go for a 'joy ride'...

I agree with FB, alarms are useless - they don't even irritate people enough to bother themselves to look in that direction, forget about calling for help!

In regards to other devices, I'd put at least 2 or 3 different theft deferrent systems (protect air bag - Autolok2000 or similar, ignition lock by Steadfast, tranny shifter - by Mul-T-Lock, maybe hood lock)
You can tell I live in Brooklyn, can't ya? :11:

·
Registered
928 Posts
in addition, it costs $495 + tax to install it (the installation is done by the LowJack installer at the dealer, not dealer himself)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lo-Jack and Insurance Discount?

sgtglok said:

...Although I did install it in my MDX and it basically pays itself off in 4 years with the discount I got from the insurance company, there are other things to consider.
sgtglok,
I'm only able to get a minor discount off of my comprehensive coverage with my auto insurance (I recall that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% off). Doesn't amount to much for me. I think I need to start shopping for a new auto insurance company!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts