Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed oil on my 2011 MDX and 2007 TL I used the same oil and filter, Mobil 1 5w-30 AP & M1-110A. After 1000 miles I compared the oil color between the two car I noticed the the oil from the TL looks very light, a little darker than when it was fresh out of the bottle. Now the oil from the MDX is 5 times darker. This tell me my MDX engine is burning oil and that is why the oil need to be refilled so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do the oil consumption test, you pay once for oil change then they monitor it for 4 intervals of 1k each and top up how much you lost per interval. If it exceeds 1 liter per 1000km then you should be eligible. My oil on the x is also very dark like nearly black lol, this is after adding oil manually in the dip stick slot. The exhaust pipes also show carbon build up.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No that doesn't tell you its burning oil as the oil that gets burned LEAVES the engine.. Thus gets BURNED
Engine oil can get darker because of carbon, carbon that enters the engine via the EGR valve/PCV System.. That is how engine oil usually gets dark over time BUT:

Mobil 1 oil is known to get darker with temperature and being used in a stressful engine like the J37 is bound to get darker faster than your TL... This does not tell you the engine oil is bad though, You should never use color to determine if the oil is good or bad. Only an oil analysis test can give you the full picture.

For reference this is my Mobil 1 EP after 15,000 miles on my J37:

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TL & MDX Engine oil after 1000 miles

Ok gentlemen I know what you are saying and I agree with you. I know the Mdx engine is a lot more powerful and stressful than the TL engine. I think I will do the oil analysis on the MDX after 10k miles.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Also... A lot of people take for granted the black soot on the tailpipes is from burning oil?
NOPE! The J37 so all of the MDXs even those not burning oil will leave a ton of SOOT in exhaust tailpipes..

The soot is a mixture of carbon and water.
Carbon from the engine from the normal combustion
Water that forms when the engine first starts up as it starts very rich

This creates a ton of condensation in the exhaust pipes that absorbs the carbon from the normal combustion. This is the exhaust soot that you see at the end of the tailpipes, Nothing to do with burning engine oil.

ALL J37 MDXs WILL LEAVE EXHAUST SOOT... More than any other Acura-Honda.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also... A lot of people take for granted the black soot on the tailpipes is from burning oil?
NOPE! The J37 so all of the MDXs even those not burning oil will leave a ton of SOOT in exhaust tailpipes..

The soot is a mixture of carbon and water.
Carbon from the engine from the normal combustion
Water that forms when the engine first starts up as it starts very rich

This creates a ton of condensation in the exhaust pipes that absorbs the carbon from the normal combustion. This is the exhaust soot that you see at the end of the tailpipes, Nothing to do with burning engine oil.

ALL J37 MDXs WILL LEAVE EXHAUST SOOT... More than any other Acura-Honda.

Any idea how to clean it? I’ve used heavy duty chrome shine and bunch of other chemicals but nothing works to get the black stain off my
tail pipes.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I usually use the same condensation in the mornings to clean it with a microfiber rag.. Its hard but not impossible.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I usually use the same condensation in the mornings to clean it with a microfiber rag.. Its hard but not impossible.

Sorry for this noob question but what do you mean condensation to clean it? Carbon and water? I am not getting what you are trying to say.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
In the morning I warm up my X for the heater so in the meantime condensation starts to form in the tailpipes.
I use the very root of the problem to clean them :D

I think the carbon soaks up the water and makes it easier to clean it?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If it is carbon deposit, why not use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner? Too wasteful?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Any idea how to clean it? I’ve used heavy duty chrome shine and bunch of other chemicals but nothing works to get the black stain off my
tail pipes.

go to any kitchen cleaning isle in a hardware store and find 'barkeepers friend'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts