Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I only have approximately 12,000 miles, I am thinking of changing out the stock tires due to some tire damage from a couple of screws. They were repaired, but still seem to be leaking ever so slowly...
I have had good luck in the past with Michelin so I am thinking of buying primacy touring all seasons.
I would love to hear from anyone who has changed tires as to their experiences. My primary criteria include a smooth and quiet ride...
Thanks for any input.

· Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
618 Posts
Vredestein Quatrac Pro. Very quiet and very nice ride quality. Performance (Dry, Rain, and Snow) has been fantastic as well over the last 20+ months (20k miles) of ownership. Still plenty of tread left, but I drive like a grandpa don’t corner very spirited.

Vredestein is newer to the U.S. tire scene, but is well established overseas. As many tires as I’ve owned over the years, I will hands down be buying another pair of these once I hit 40k miles.

· Registered
108 Posts
Looks like you are in Mass. If snow is a concern, look at the Michelin Defender LTX or the Cross Climate 2. The Defender is probably the better traditional highway tire that does well in snow and the CC2 is a better snow tire. I have had both of these on my cars.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snow is not really much of a concern
...I rarely drive in snow any more.
Mostly interested in a comfortable, quiet ride.

· Registered
2023 A-Spec / Had '06 Touring/Nav
469 Posts
+1 for the Michelin Defender LTX. Have had 3 sets of them on two different SUVs. Two sets on a previous MDX. Really great tires overall.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
+1 for the Michelin Defender LTX. Have had 3 sets of them on two different SUVs. Two sets on a previous MDX. Really great tires overall.
I just put the Michelin Defender LTX on my 2014 MDX about 18K miles ago (replaced Michelin Premier LTX). I've driven on them across the country and back (9K mile road trip) as well as another 6K mile road trip through all kinds of terrain and rain (but not snow/ice) and they performed great. I bought them at Discount Tire after having them match the Costco sale price for the same tire.

· Registered
115 Posts
Looks like you are in Mass. If snow is a concern, look at the Michelin Defender LTX or the Cross Climate 2. The Defender is probably the better traditional highway tire that does well in snow and the CC2 is a better snow tire. I have had both of these on my cars.
We have 2 sets of Cross Climate 2's., MDX and RDX. Best Montana tires I've ever owned. That 3 peak rating is totally justified and welcome.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input...I think I will buy a set in the next couple of weeks....its down to Primacy Touring AS or the Defender LTX....

Last nite I had a meeting in Boston and had to drive home (approx 45 mins south) in a driving rain....man do these stock Bridgestone tires suck on wet roads....I really did not feel safe.

· Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for all the input...I think I will buy a set in the next couple of weeks....its down to Primacy Touring AS or the Defender LTX....

Last nite I had a meeting in Boston and had to drive home (approx 45 mins south) in a driving rain....man do these stock Bridgestone tires suck on wet roads....I really did not feel safe.
Defender LTX if you drive more than 20k miles a year, CC2 if you drive less than that. Both are excellent tires, but the Defender will definitely last longer at the slight sacrifice of maximum traction. I would not even consider the Primacy Touring AS. It's a very comfortable and smooth riding tire, but not near the traction or longevity of either the CC2 or Defender.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Defender LTX if you drive more than 20k miles a year, CC2 if you drive less than that. Both are excellent tires, but the Defender will definitely last longer at the slight sacrifice of maximum traction. I would not even consider the Primacy Touring AS. It's a very comfortable and smooth riding tire, but not near the traction or longevity of either the CC2 or Defender.
Funny how things change.....when I was younger, it was nothing for me to put 25,000 miles on my car each year and some of that would be driving in snow....now, I only go into my office one day a week and have averaged about 10,000 miles a year. I'm at that age where if it snows, I stay home and my skiing days are in the rear view mirror so snow is really not an issue. Having said all that, my tire goal is to get the most comfortable and quiet ride without sacrificing safety.....this is why I am leaning toward the Primacy Touring.

· Registered
88 Posts
Funny how things change.....when I was younger, it was nothing for me to put 25,000 miles on my car each year and some of that would be driving in snow....now, I only go into my office one day a week and have averaged about 10,000 miles a year. I'm at that age where if it snows, I stay home and my skiing days are in the rear view mirror so snow is really not an issue. Having said all that, my tire goal is to get the most comfortable and quiet ride without sacrificing safety.....this is why I am leaning toward the Primacy Touring.
What size?

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What size?
I have an advance, so 20 inches?
Funny you would ask that...my 2002 MDX had 19 inch rims without low profile tires....best riding car I ever owned. I thought about swapping out my rims with 19's but it really just is not worth it to me.

· Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,669 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to call the Tire Rack at 888-541-1777 and ask their advice. Their sales people are great, they do NOT push one tire over another (they don't have incentives to do that), and they all have experience trying all of their tires. (By comparison, anyone here has probably only driven one or two different tires in sizes suitable for any given car.) They will also discuss with you what tire best suits your personal preferences (for example, you mention smooth and quiet ride). Their prices are as good as anywhere, and they have thousands of installers nationwide so they can ship to a shop near you where you can get them mounted. They usually arrive the next day after you order, even with their free shipping option.

Disclaimer: I have no association with the Tire Rack other than as a very satisfied customer.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Great idea....thanks.

Update....just got off the phone with Tire Rack and had a great conversation.....

His suggestion was Pirelli Scorpion +3 tires.....he mentioned that the Defenders are a fine tire, but really intended for pick up trucks and large SUV's. They will be a good choice, but not as smooth and quiet as the Primacy Touring tires. The Primacy tires are intended for smaller vehicles such as sedans and CUV's.
Anyone here have any experience with the Pirellis?

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ordered the Pirelli's and have an appointment on Tuesday for installation....I will post my impressions next week.

· Registered
26 Posts
I just ordered the Pirelli's and have an appointment on Tuesday for installation....I will post my impressions next week.
I bought new wheels with the Pirellis at 700 miles for my 2022 Advance. 8000 miles later I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. Long summer trips, heavy rain and we've had plenty of snow so far in MN!

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought new wheels with the Pirellis at 700 miles for my 2022 Advance. 8000 miles later I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. Long summer trips, heavy rain and we've had plenty of snow so far in MN!
Thanks....I'm looking forward to a significant improvement over the stock Bridgestone tires.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts