Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 MDX touring.

I've got a screw stuck in the outermost part of the tread, almost on the edge. I'm not sure if I will need to replace yet because I haven't pulled the screw out. Assuming it does need to be replaced (because it can't be fixed because it is on the outer edge of the outermost part of the tread), then I will need all four tires replaced. I currently have the Michelin Cross Terrains. They are the second set having needed a new set at 45K miles. I'm at 75K miles so the tires have about 30K on them.

I've read every forum post I could here and elsewhere on tire comparisons. I've read everything at tirerack.com and spoke to a salesperson. We've been to Discount Tire. I called the dealer.

Tirerack.com confirms that vehicle manufacturers have specific criteria for their tires. However, the tire manufacturers don't say what the differences are between the dealer tires (from Acura tire) and what the same model is at a retail establishment. So there is no way to know what benefits or weaknesses the manufacturer changes might have caused.

The dealer(s) (I called more than one) carries the Michelin Latitude Tour. That has decent reviews at Tirerack.com. My dealer is a little more expensive on the tires and more expensive on the mounting/balancing. The dealer also wants to do a 4 wheel alignment. When you add that up, it's quite a bit more expensive.

Tirerack.com salesperson recommended the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus. I inquired about the Goodyear TripleTred and the Michelin Latitude. The salesperson told me that the Alenza Plus was a newer tired and for that reason, probably superior to the Latitude which he said was a pretty dated tired. The salesperson liked the TripleTred but said it tended to have more road noise. The salesperson had driven on the Alenza but not the Plus version yet. He also liked the long warranty.

There is a lot of talk back on these forums. Some people think you should buy OEM tires because that is what Acura Engineers designed for your vehicle. The problem I have is that the Latitude was not OEM on my 2005 and wasn't even the OEM when I bought my 2nd set. Acura also puts different tires on different trim packages. We can all speculate why Acura puts Michelin Latitude on a particular trim package but we don't really know. Still, I love my Acura, and as such I am emotionally drawn to the argument that I should stick with OEM parts.

The Bridgestone Alenza Plus is very tempting. It's much less expensive, has a longer warranty, and good user ratings. But honestly, how do you trust reviews of people who bought the tires? What point of comparison does your normal Joe buyer of a tire have?

Is there any advantage to having a dealer mount your tires? Is an alignment a good idea? (I've read that it may be a good "preventative" measure).

·
Registered
200 Posts
There is absolutely no advantage to your dealer installing tires, or a 4 wheel alignment, so long as they do it right. Finding a good tire shop is no different than finding a good Acura dealer, some a great, some are poor, some are honest, and some are crooks.

I would absolutely get the alignment at least checked, it may not need anything, and in many cases just checking along with a 4 tire purchase, probably won't cost you anything, but ask 1st anyway. IF it is within alignment specs, you won't be wasting any money, and you will have piece of mind that you aren't wearing out those new high dollar tires prematurely.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many of the new tire dealers with the best deals don't do 4 wheel alignments (Costco and Discount Tire). So I guess I would need to take it somewhere for the alignment check afterwards.

Also, any advice on the tire selection?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I make it a point not to advise on tires, they are too subjective, what one person likes about a specific model of tire, someone else will hate.

I am not saying you can't buy quality tires at Costco, or Discount Tire, but shop around there are lots of different brands, that make a cheap tire for these types of stores, but you can also buy the good quality tire at these types of stores, just know what model of tire you are buying.

I have Goodyear Assurance tires on my '04, and they work fine for me, but I don't drive my MDX in the Indy 500, The Nurburgring 24, or the Baja 1000. They work great in the snow pack, but I like to believe I am a good enough driver to maneuver with bald tires on ice, so far on the wet or dry pavement, they do their job. While I think tires do have some effect on emergency maneuvers, I think the driver is far more important to a successful outcome than the tire. So again in my situation, all I need is something that wears well, stays round, and is quiet. These tires came on my vehicle, and I have no beef with them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've pretty much limited my choice to two specific tires. Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus or the Michelin Latitude Tour. The Goodyear TripleTred was my third choice.

The Goodyear Assurance came on your 04 Touring? When it was new? I wonder when they switched to Michelin? My 05 came with Michelin stock which is why I'm sorta partial to the brand.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We have Goodyear Assurance Comfortred that we purchased from a Goodyear store on our 2004. We live around a lot of hills and they wore out way too early. With the 80,000 mile warranty, the GY store prorated them since they wore out waaaaay prematurely, and we got a new set for about $150. My point is that maybe you consider getting the tires with the longest warranty possible. And, we buy GY often. I tried Michelin and they were not worth the extra cost, IMO.

Also, our MDX came with some sorta off road looking tire (maybe Bridgestone Dueler), and I couldn't believe how much quieter the MDX was after putting on these GY all season tires. The tires you seem to favor sound like off road type tires. I know this is an SUV, but I am pretty sure that in Houston, an all season tire will do, and will be much quieter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Look at Consumer Reports to make a well informed decision and compare information to Tirerack. See Consumer Report issue November 2014 and possibly 2015 Buying Guide (summary of many issues). If you don't subscribe you can see them at your local library. Many libraries have online searches of Consumer Report articules but you likely will need someone at the library tell you how to find it on their web site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the bridgestone dueler alenza tires for a couple of years and they're still strong. good tires, strong shoulders, and wear well. My only gripe is they may be getting a little loud; but that may be the types of road I drive on. Michelin's are still my favorite, but if I had to, I'd probably get the bridgestone's again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Running Continental's on my 2002, very happy, purchased from Discount Tire...no alignment done, wearing great and goes down the road straight as an arrow. 199k, miles on the truck, not the tires. 18k or so on this set of tires so far. ContiProContact

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Latitude Tour comes on some trim levels of the current MDX. I just put them on my 2006 CRV, and I like them. I have never had a Michelin in the last 30 years that I didn't like. Pre-1980 there were some really scary Michelin models - they broke loose without warning, but those are just old history.

Got a good price at Sam's Club. Also liked 15 bucks each to mount, balance, and includes road hazard warranty.

If your current tires show even wear, I wouldn't waste the money on the alignment. Invest a few bucks on a tire tread depth gauge, and check for even wear every few thousand miles. If the wear pattern gets funky, then and only then get an alignment. IMO, alignments and unneeded fluid flushes are the biggest rip-offs in the industry. Opinion based on my 45 years in the auto service business.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Got my 2001 Silver Touring MDX over the weekend. Has 2 new tires on the back, but needs them on the front. Tire shop says that the Firestones are the best value for the money.

Knowing that all tire advice is subjected as stated above... I still must ask about the Firestones since I don't see anyone at all recommending them here. Is this advice too far off? Should I push for one of the brands mentioned in this thread?

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey KW I have the same situation.....what tires are u running on your car? I have Michelin Cross Terrain....2 new and 2 worn out.........looking to buy or sell

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure what model of Firestones i have but they seem to be working out really well! Tread life has been good. Road noise was a lot better than previous tires. Im overall happy with them and plan on buying Firestones next time with more agressive tread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have 2nd set of Firestone Destination LE/2 on 2005 MDX Touring. Doing great so far. Previous set got 50-80k miles. Theure consistently rated as too or one of the top tires. Medium priced.

Never been impressed with continental. Michelin are great, latitude, primacy, whatevers, just a lot more expensive. Goodyear comfortread are fine. Dueler Alenzas are fine. There might be some good enough cheaper ones, but how much will you really save per set, in the long run?

Most of us are going for all weather and quiet and good wet traction. See the tire in person. Put your finger SIDEWAYS in the tread grooves. If it doesn't fit and there's no good lines of exit for water to the outside edge of the tire: no good. That tread is just for looks, imo.

For winter, nothing beats Blizzak for a non studded tire.

Costco is fine, Sam's Club is fine. Firestone has the best service, imo. Maybe Goodyear chains too, just not used as much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got my 2001 Silver Touring MDX over the weekend. Has 2 new tires on the back, but needs them on the front. Tire shop says that the Firestones are the best value for the money.

Knowing that all tire advice is subjected as stated above... I still must ask about the Firestones since I don't see anyone at all recommending them here. Is this advice too far off? Should I push for one of the brands mentioned in this thread?
Yes, Firestone Destination LE/2, but I'm biased. Look them up in tirerack and consumer reports.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts