Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my OEM michelin tires. They have lasted only 22k and I need recommendation for new ones....

·
Registered
537 Posts
jjjacek said:
I have to replace my OEM michelin tires. They have lasted only 22k and I need recommendation for new ones....
Only 22k, that's very odd. I'm still running on my Original tire from day one with 46k. Just had my service done on 10/08/2009 and tread is still good for another 5k ~ 10K.

But I've already start shopping for a set of new tires. My current choices are the two following:

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
UTQG: Treadwear: 340
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
340 AA A
$109

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 (Street/Sport Truck All-Season)
UTQG: Treadwear: 460
Traction: A
460 A A
$154

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I'm having my dealership put new OEM tires on the RDX at $259 per tire!
It ain't cheap!
Pooyie

BTW they matched Tirerack.com prices.....The are low profile 18" Michelins.......that came with the car new......($) and we complain about our tires not low profile enough, not wide enough etc....these tires are expensive! We have over 40,000 miles on the RDX....

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're just going to get the OEs, wait until costco or sams club has one of their michelin sales, you'll get the best prices there. Discount Tire will match their prices, if you don't have a membership.

The Michelin Diamaris is the one that comes with the 19" rim, but it does also come in a 255/55/18 or a 285/50/18 if you wanted something sporter then the OE. Pirelli also has the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico, which is an all season, compared to the Diamaris being a Summer tire.

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyo tires

Does anybody have any experience with TOYO tires? Few people recommended to use Toyo Open Country H/T or Toyo Proxes ST II.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased the Toyo Proxes ST II tires at 32,000 miles, after 1000 miles I would NOT recommend them. After 18,000 miles, never again.

They have poor grip in the rain and are marginal in the snow.

Krieghoff

·
Registered
254 Posts
I love my Kuhmo Solus!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always had my eyes on the General Grabbers HTS, as they are rated highly in a lot of reviews particularly for vehicles like ours. However, they have been on national back order since June and their delivery date kept slipping.

Other choices were the Kumho Solus KL51 and the Cooper CS4 Touring and of course the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred (the most expensive among my choices).

I ended up ordering the Cooper CS4 Touring and will have them installed next Monday. Total price out the door for 4 tires with $50 mail in rebate (until Oct. 31) and 4 wheel alignment is $599.

·
Registered
960 Posts
skipjack said:
I always had my eyes on the General Grabbers HTS, as they are rated highly in a lot of reviews particularly for vehicles like ours. However, they have been on national back order since June and their delivery date kept slipping.

Other choices were the Kumho Solus KL51 and the Cooper CS4 Touring and of course the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred (the most expensive among my choices).

I ended up ordering the Cooper CS4 Touring and will have them installed next Monday. Total price out the door for 4 tires with $50 mail in rebate (until Oct. 31) and 4 wheel alignment is $599.
Don't buy the triple treads. They are super noisy. The tire installer I used to go to 100% of the time when I lived in NY sold Good Years but noted that people complained about the hellacious noise from the entire triple tread range and he did not recommend them.

I purchased Continental Cross Contact LX's about 16 months and 18,000 miles ago. They are nearly to the wear bars. I am NOT happy. I plan on making good use of the 65,000 mile tread life warranty. Unfortunately, that means I will probably end up with another set. :3:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Re: Re: Tires recommendation

m500 said:

Only 22k, that's very odd.

Not very odd. Mine were shot in 25k miles. This with good rotation and habitual pressure checks.

Wear was even across the tread.

Then again, I just wore a 560 tread life tire down in less than 20k miles. Again, even wear, good pressures all the time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Needsdecaf said:

Don't buy the triple treads. They are super noisy. The tire installer I used to go to 100% of the time when I lived in NY sold Good Years but noted that people complained about the hellacious noise from the entire triple tread range and he did not recommend them.

I purchased Continental Cross Contact LX's about 16 months and 18,000 miles ago. They are nearly to the wear bars. I am NOT happy. I plan on making good use of the 65,000 mile tread life warranty. Unfortunately, that means I will probably end up with another set. :3:
I completely disagree with the noise comments on the Tripletreds. I have them and have been very happy. I don't notice any noise issues over the CT's. Also, tirerack gives them a 8.2 for noise which is in the green range (good), and that's on over 8 million miles worth of ratings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the noise issue could be somewhat subjective, as I also have the Assurance Triple Tred on our Subaru Outback and have been very happy and impressed with them. Price would be the factor why I won't go for the Fortera Triple Tred for the MDX.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got new shoes! The Cooper CS4 Touring are good so far. Much quieter and better riding than the stock Michelin CT's. Of course the CT's were old and worn, so the comparison may not be fair.

Love it! Can't wait for snow!! :2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only 22k, that's very odd. I'm still running on my Original tire from day one with 46k. Just had my service done on 10/08/2009 and tread is still good for another 5k ~ 10K.

But I've already start shopping for a set of new tires. My current choices are the two following:

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
UTQG: Treadwear: 340
Traction: AA
340 AA A
$109

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 (Street/Sport Truck All-Season)
UTQG: Treadwear: 460
Traction: A
460 A A
$154
I have done some research at Tire Rack and they really like Vredestein. I was researching for my RDX and asked about the Continentals that came on the 2020 MDX we got recently. They much prefer the Vredesteins. Tire Tack is a valuable resource for information

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have done some research at Tire Rack and they really like Vredestein. I was researching for my RDX and asked about the Continentals that came on the 2020 MDX we got recently. They much prefer the Vredesteins. Tire Tack is a valuable resource for information
When you do a search watch out for digging up old threads. This one is 11 years old and the member you responded to hasn't been on the site since 2014.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Toyo tires

Does anybody have any experience with TOYO tires? Few people recommended to use Toyo Open Country H/T or Toyo Proxes ST II.
I have always had great results with the TOYO Open Country H/T tires. I have used them since the 90's. That's all I use. On Vans, Santa Fe's, 4-Runner, RDX, and even on MDX. You can't beat them and the wear mileage is awesome. Never had a problem. They will take a Zero Bubble blance and the price will not hurt your wallet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just put a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pro on our 2010 X a few months ago. Made a 5 hour trip to Mass...high intensity, high speed driving plus curvy mountain roads. They are great handling tires but do have a low frequency drone which is more or less noticeable depending on the road surface. We only drive 6k miles per year so I do not worry about treadlife which apparently is not too good. I would buy them again...a great bargain tire.

My wife absolutely loves the designer sidewalls!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
True, but everyone benefits from a trie discussion, not just OP. I would rather see an old thread revived. Makes it easier for future searchers to get information...just my opinion.

When you do a search watch out for digging up old threads. This one is 11 years old and the member you responded to hasn't been on the site since 2014.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts