Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anybody replaced the tires already on the new MDX. I have 2014 MDX with Tech. My Continental tires are 80% worn and soon will be in the market looking for new tires. I only have 28K miles so OEM didn't last at all. There is no thread warranty too.

I was just looking for any recommendation. I will be going to different brand for sure..

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I've been looking at the Pirelli SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS, as they seem to be well reviewed. The biggest problem though is that my preferred tire chain (Americas Tire) doesn't carry them anymore in our 19" size.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My Continental tires are 80% worn and soon will be in the market looking for new tires. I only have 28K miles so OEM didn't last at all.
Mine's at around 25K miles and my Continentals are nowhere near as worn as you indicate yours are. Have yours worn evenly - i.e. all 4 tires with about the same wear and each tire worn evenly across the tread as opposed to just the outer or inner portion? I'm trying to understand if perhaps you didn't rotate your tires enough, keep them inflated per specs, or like to do a lot of drifting.

I'd be interested to hear how others are doing on tire wear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's at around 25K miles and my Continentals are nowhere near as worn as you indicate yours are. Have yours worn evenly - i.e. all 4 tires with about the same wear and each tire worn evenly across the tread as opposed to just the outer or inner portion? I'm trying to understand if perhaps you didn't rotate your tires enough, keep them inflated per specs, or like to do a lot of drifting.

Wear on all the tires are pretty much same. I rotate my tires every 5K miles and just got my first wheel alignment (was slightly off). Basically I take good care of my tires with normal city driving. Even I was surprised to see how they performed. I am in Florida so maybe hot weather is to blame....

I plan to buy something with tread warranty this time. I was offered a good price for Bridgstone 422 H/L Ecopa tire with 65K warranty (Around $700 installed) but never heard of this tire so will need to do more research.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"I was offered a good price for Bridgstone 422 H/L Ecopa tire with 65K warranty (Around $700 installed) but never heard of this tire so will need to do more research. "
I previously had Bridgestone Ecopia 19' on my 2011 Highlander, bought through Costco. They are cheap and will run out in about ~ 1.5 - 2 years or after approximately half of what the warranty claims. But at least Costco will then give you new ones at half of the cost under the warranty. Not the best tires but will do fine. I guess for my current MDX I'll try to find something else perhaps for the few hundred bucks more, and if it's going to be too pricy I may also stick with Ecopia.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I'm not sure what your daily driving habits are, but I thought I recall you taking multiple long trips, some across the country, with your MDX. Those type of miles should result in the kind of tire wear levels you are reporting.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wear on all the tires are pretty much same. I rotate my tires every 5K miles and just got my first wheel alignment (was slightly off). Basically I take good care of my tires with normal city driving. Even I was surprised to see how they performed. I am in Florida so maybe hot weather is to blame....
I think the combination of the city driving and location have to do with your quick tire wear. Not only do you deal with the Florida heat, but I thought that the roads there were made with an aggregate material that eats up tires.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm not sure what your daily driving habits are, but I thought I recall you taking multiple long trips, some across the country, with your MDX. Those type of miles should result in the kind of tire wear levels you are reporting.
You have a good recollection. Included in my mileage are 2 coast to coast + trips (over 6K miles each) and a few other shorter trips of only 1K miles or so each. I also live in an area that can be hot and never gets too cold. I don't think I've ever had tires where I'm reaching the top end of the wear miles - they usually wear out before that. I'm not a laid back driver so that could be a factor in not getting as high of a mileage as some.

The alignment issue will definitely cause unusual wear - especially if it went on for a while.

I plan to buy something with tread warranty this time.
But if you bought the exact same Continentals at a place like Discount Tire, it'd come with a tread wear warranty wouldn't it? I'm just assuming - I haven't replaced mine yet obviously. Of course, if you're disappointed in the low mileage you've gotten it wouldn't make sense to replace with the same tire if you think another would be better.

A lot of MDXs came with Michelin tires. I'd be interesting to see the actual wear seen on those versus the Continentals. Have you considered getting Michelins? They're more expensive than Continentals though.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

I have 33,000 miles. Nowhere near that much wear. I'm a stickler on tires. I'll replace them well before the wear bars show. Based on what I'm showing,I may get at least another 15,000 miles. That alignment must have Been really off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
23k on my AWD MDX and my Conti's are barely half worn. Expect to get 50k with continued rotations.
Biggest factor for me when replacing tires will be noise factor first, then wear and performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What model Continental's are on your MDX? That type of mileage would be normal for a run-flat tire, but I don't think MDX's have ever come with run-flats. I've never heard of a tire that wasn't a track-use tire or maybe a summer-only tire that doesn't have some sort of tread warranty.

I run Continentals on 2 of our 3 cars and they've been great. Most of my friends run Continentals as well. My experience with both Pirellis and Bridgestone on my personal cars is that they last a long time, but they tend to cup and get noisy quickly. I've also seen a lot of issues with Pirellis coming new from the factory out of round.

Michelin does build the best tire, IMO. But you have to be willing to spend the extra money on them because they are typically the most expensive. Their rubber compounds do dry-rot faster than other brands though, so that may be a consideration in the heat of Florida.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the picture of my tire. Hoping to get another 4-5K miles out of it.

I think the base model got Michelin tires. Can anybody with these tires share the experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
base = Michelin 18 inch
tech = Continental 19 inch
Tech/Ent = Michelin 19 inch
Advance = Michelin 19 inch

I have a tech/ent with 24,000 miles and I have about 70% left according to my last servicing/oil change.

to have so much wear after 28,000 miles does not sound normal

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Contis

2014 AWD Tech. Continentals. so far 28K, and tread is still pretty good- expect another 10K miles or so.

Also- I think when you buy tires 'mail order' you don't get the tread life warranty- because the manufacturer has no way of verifying your mileage when they were installed. Doesn't stop me though- I still have purchased twice from discount tire direct. I think it's like a mattress warranty- looks good on paper, but when you actually go to make a claim you have to jump through so many hoops to get a meager prorated payout you wish you had just opened your wallet and asked 'how much for new tires?'

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tire wear = driving style, terrain, city/highway even number of turns you make. The way and where I drive tires don't last past 25k miles. It's been pretty much the same for most of my cars, give or take few thousands miles. I don't think there is anything wrong with OP's car or tires and I also don't think tire manufacturers make "cheaper version" tires for car companies.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP&partnum=455HR9LTHP&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2016&autoModel=MDX SH-AWD&autoModClar=

·
Registered
251 Posts
We have 40k+ miles, 2014 sh-awd tech, and close to the wear bars being flush with the tread. Last winter the mileage was shared by Blizzaks, so I'm guestimating the OEM Conti's have around 35k of the total mileage. My plan now is to put the Bilzzaks back on for the winter and get new Michelins in the spring. Much of my driving is in the Colorado mountains, and summer driving can be upper 90's in the lower elevations of 4'500ft to 6,000ft in the Denver front range and Grand Junction western slope areas.

Our first winter we used the OEM tires in the mountains and as the tread wore down we had a couple of frightful close calls, so we are now believers in Blizzaks for winter driving now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts