Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
First off, I am a female car enthusiast- been taught by my Dad & husband- like to work on cars & hate taking my car to the dealership for anything! These days - my 18 yr old son & I work on my Acura together- he’s the muscle & I try to help through research…. So pls get technical bc we need some help! I’m a novice at best - but together- we learn & usually figure things out wo having to take to a mechanic- which is a life saver - bc my 16 yr old daughter has cancer & we are on a very tight budget.

Bought my 2011MDX in 2014. Love it. Now have 170,000 miles on it - and having various issues But - tires are a problem. Replaced the stock Michelin w Nittos, then Pirelli scorpion verde II. Hate the Pirellis. Louder than the mudders on our 2006 F150. Had Nittos too - wasn’t crazy about the noise on those either…

1) what specific replacement tires are y’all running? Thinking going back to Michelin but what tread specially? Trying to balance cost vs warranty/tread life. Can’t afford new tires every 30k miles… but if that’s what I have to do to get some peace & quiet while I drive - so be it!

2) could a drive train issue be causing the unreasonable noise & how would we troubleshoot that? Most noise seems to be coming from the front. Tires have always been rotated on schedule but have been kinda loud since 10k miles & ridiculously loud the last 20k. Around 40k miles put on these Pirellis.

3) Front driver side A/C went out. Did some research & replaced the driver side motor assembly/temp dr part (that’s the Acura name - it’s the actuator essentially under the driver side interior panel that controls heat/cold air - it was stuck on hot). So - all good we thought.
Not so fast - it didn’t fix the problem.

passenger side front is blowing cool air, not cold. Driver side is blowing warm air & it gets really hot when u turn off A/C. Rear A/C is cold.

Heat pump issue? Evacuator? Compressor? (Pls God don’t be that…). Possibly multiple issues is what my son is thinking…

I’m melting here in SE Tx - literally. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thk you in advance MDXers - we have a wonderful, loyal community I’m so thankful for!!! This forum has been a lifesaver in the past as a reference…

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2011 and have Michelin Defenders and absolutely LOVE them. I would honestly say it’s the best tire I’ve ever had. Like you, I’m the family mechanic will never pay someone to do work I can. I know every part in my Acura that needed replaced and fixed it the correct way. So I’m happy to hear you take the time to repair the car yourself

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also. Have you had an alignment done? A misaligned tire will cause tire issues. I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods. If you have replaced those you absolutely need an alignment even if it isn’t pulling. Given your mileage is almost identical to mine you should check your tie rods. You can do both sides with minimal tools or rent them at autozone oreillys whatever. I would check the suspension if you’re having that much issues with your tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We recently did the suspension- shocks & struts - but I’m not sure on the tie rods. I don’t think we replaced those. Great recommendation - I’m not hearing a clunk sound - but probably need done.

Any ideas on A/C not working after driver side actuator was replaced? Relay? How do we check if compressor is kicking in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts