Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I own a used 2014 MDX Awd technology package with 22000 miles. I have attached pictures of the front right tire all tires are uniformly worn out. Please take a look and tell me if this okay or is it going out too much. How often do we change tires I believe it's every 20k Miles? How long can I put this off... is it unsafe to drive without changing these tires?

If I were to switch the tires is it cheaper getting it done in Acura dealer service? Or should I have it shipped from Amazon or Discount Tires website. What's the cheap and best tires to use?

Is there anyway I can access phone book while I'm driving? looks like it can be accessed only when parked am I right? That's a royal pain because most of the names I have in my phone book are ethnic names and not just the Steve John Smith names LOL ...dial by name works funny for them.

Is there anyway I can keep the circulation button on internal circulation mode always ?looks like it's a weird logic I turn off and turn on it comes external. I have pollen allergy and I don't want to have external circulation ever also I think it switches back and forth when I turn it on in auto mode.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
With no idea about what kind of climate you live in, it's hard to say. You are nearing the wear bar though, which is an indicator of minimum legal limits with tires at 2/32", so I would personally start looking for new tires. Depending on your conditions, like if you get a lot of rain, I would change it usually near 4/32". Do a tire penny test and make a judgement call.

As for the phone book, yes that is correct. If you call them often, you may want to just put them on speed dial.

For the re-circulation mode, yeah, it tries to predict your needs and even considers internal humidity to choose re-circulation modes. There are always the shortcuts you can save for your preferred settings.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
This has been covered before. I am fussy about tires and I don't think they look that bad. They are getting close though. I have over 40,000 miles on ours. Are the tires on the car the right size? You should NOT have to replace the tires at 20,000. The one place it's not cheap to buy tires is the dealer. Unless they match prices. I buy tires from Costco. The prices are fair and they take care of you.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Oh, if you have an America's Tire near you, I've always found them to be reliable and aggressive with pricing.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
looking at your tires you have about 4-5/32nds of tread left, 2/32nd's is when they need to be replaced.

I'd estimate you have another 5-6k miles you can travel before you have to replace them.

I would NOT go to the dealer for a new tire!!!!

Instead, go to a discount tire near you. They price match and have lifetime rotation and balancing free.

Also for the future, as far as tires go, look at tirerack.com for information on making the right choice as far as tires are concerned. Discount tire will price match them!

Reactions: miserkris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking at your tires you have about 4-5/32nds of tread left, 2/32nd's is when they need to be replaced.

I'd estimate you have another 5-6k miles you can travel before you have to replace them.

I would NOT go to the dealer for a new tire!!!!

Instead, go to a discount tire near you. They price match and have lifetime rotation and balancing free.

Also for the future, as far as tires go, look at tirerack.com for information on making the right choice as far as tires are concerned. Discount tire will price match them!
Hi..
Just saw that discount tire direct has a memorial day sale.
http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/198359
Can I go wrong with respect to safety with any of these cheaper brands for my mdx? Do the best brands like continental,bridge stone etc last few k miles longer?
See pic....pls advice

Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The lifetime of the tire depends on the tire material formulation, environment, and driving habits. Since the last two items are fairly fixed it comes down to the tire formulation. Every tire manufacturer makes a variety of tire styles and formulations targeted for a variety of attributes and which one to get depends on what the buyer wants. For example, long tread life at the expense of 'stickiness' and certain other handling features or the opposite - outstanding handling but at the expense of tread life. There're also attributes regarding wet weather traction/handling, mud and snow traction, etc.

So, you can usually buy a long tread life tire from a variety of manufacturers and also buy a short tread life but sticky great handling tires from those same manufacturers.

You need to determine the tire attributes you're interested in first and then see what the different tire manufacturers have that meets your desires.

Sites like Tirerack and Discount Tires and others often have explanations of what I referred to above.

I don't get excited by these 'sales' - they all have sales all the time and when they don't they'll match prices. The best time to get tires is when you need them. If you buy tires prematurely you're wasting money - including anything you think you gained by the 'sale'. Costco, Discount, Sears, and others have a perpetual $70 off sale and they just rotate the manufacturers it applies to but again, most of them will match a better price you find elsewhere. They'll always make money on the deal.

I do, however, stay away from brands I've never heard of and stick with the bigger name brands even if they cost a little bit more - fwiw.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am very persnickety about tires. The way I think about it is the handling, performance, and safety of your vehicle is only as good as its interface to the road: the tires! The easiest way to turn a great car into a mediocre or crappy car is to put on cheap tires.

On the issue of acceptable wear, I would never run tires with less than 4/32" of remaining tread in rain because of the danger of hydroplaning. Think water skis!

For snow, my threshold is 5/32"-6/32". With even a little snow, I have seen performance cars struggle to get out of their parking spot on "summer tires" with minimal tread. Never mind staying on the road if they ever get moving...

Instead of guessing, buy a tire depth gauge for less than 5 bucks, or look at Tire Rack's website for hints on how to use common US coins to estimate tread depth. Or just pull into a Discount Tire shop and ask them to measure for you. They are mostly pretty honest. Acura dealer will measure them as part of the inspection at any service interval.

But the bottom line is, don't cheap out on tires or the performance and safety of your vehicle will suffer. /end sermon

·
Registered
191 Posts
While buying tires at places other than dealership, one thing I do like. I have 31,000 miles on my MDX and I still have plenty of tire life left (I wish the rest of the car worked as well as the tires...........my MDX is in the shop again, they are trying to determine why my car creaks under the dash at low speeds, it literally sounds like the mast of an old wooden ship. I have a 2016 loaner MDX and I think it is better put together than my 2014)
On my 11 year old Lexus, the tires are covered under a warranty. So I put a new set of tires on the Lexus 3 years ago and 2 of them were damaged, one got a bubble when my wife took a pothole too fast and another had a flat and it cost me less than $50 bucks to replace each one. I don't know if the tire centers offer these types of things or not.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I think just about every one offers road hazard protection. It's included at Costco.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it....I won't cheap out.lemme get that tire gauge that was mentioned for five dollars.Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The part that you really need to see is the edges.
Take two pics, from the edge instead of the center.
There you might need an Alignment or new rear shocks.

And no you don't need to take it to the Acura dealer for Tires, any tire place can do it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi..
Just saw that discount tire direct has a memorial day sale.
Discount Tire Direct Memorial Day Sale w/ Rebates - Slickdeals.net
Can I go wrong with respect to safety with any of these cheaper brands for my mdx? Do the best brands like continental,bridge stone etc last few k miles longer?
See pic....pls advice

Thanks

A cheap tire and a good tire can be vastly different. Even with Michelin, you can get a tire that is a piece of **** and get tires that are incredible.

I would honestly stick with tires that have been reviewed a fair bit rather than what tire is the cheapest. Tirerack.com is a great place for unbiased info so you can make a good choice. You can print out the pricing for the tires from online and discount tire will match the price in store!

For example my continental DW summer tires on my 760 perform way better than the **** Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 2 Plus I had. Stopping distance is almost 10ft shorter from 60! I had khumo's on before that were much cheaper and they performed better than the Michelins!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NTB has a July fourth sale...b2g2 Tires free....I might get do that. Thanks all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just realised that mts 245/55 R19 103H is What I have in mdx now.
But the manual says tires are :18-Inch Aluminum-Alloy Wheels, 245/60 R18 105H All-Season Tires .

Can I still get the mts 245/55 R19 103H - which is What I have in my 2014 mdx technology pkg awd now?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The 18" tire spec is only for the base wheels. Since you drive a tech, the 19" spec of 245/55/19 is correct.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Those are pretty good. Just remember that if you have an America's Tire nearby, they can usually price match and then the installation cost may or may not be included (depends on how well you negotiate with them). I tend to leave things like the tire stems and road warranties out. Otherwise, you can get them mounted and balanced at any other tire shop you trust (some people even go to Walmart).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those are pretty good. Just remember that if you have an America's Tire nearby, they can usually price match and then the installation cost may or may not be included (depends on how well you negotiate with them). I tend to leave things like the tire stems and road warranties out. Otherwise, you can get them mounted and balanced at any other tire shop you trust (some people even go to Walmart).
Don't have America's tire or discount tire direct in sepa.Thanks.
Any others that'll price match?...

Based on location.. advantage I have is that tire rack is only an hour away. Wanna make use of that.

I also just got an oem hitch from Arizona(Tim). Maybe I can get a deal installing tires and hitch in one shot!

Btw this is the side view of tire treads today....

If tires tread get worn like this the car won't stop quickly right? And hydroplaning, skidding risks?
They wouldn't blow out right?
I guess I have max two more months or 2k miles on them.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts