Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, first time I've posted so thanks in advance for any direction you all can provide.
Need to replace tires on 09 MDX, all-season as I live in CT. In the past, when I was living in FL I put a "value" tire on the vehicle and road noise was a real issue.
Have found Michelins overall handle well and no noise issues; but, they are a bit pricey and because they are so soft (thus no noise) they wear out quickly.
I drive mostly highway back & forth to work
Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got a set of Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus $115 each by price matching online retailer. They been great so far no issues whatsoever. No road noise. Handles well and I might say I've been getting a better fuel mileage as well. Keep the pressure at recommended PSI.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Have found Michelins overall handle well and no noise issues; but, they are a bit pricey and because they are so soft (thus no noise) they wear out quickly.
While "wearing out quickly" is very subjective and comparative (for example, I'm close to 40K miles on my OEM equipment 18" Michelins today and I still have two seasons left on them, so they will go to 60K miles, which is a pretty good case in my personal opinion. Most tires will be over 6 years by 60K, so you would want to replace them anyway.

And as for the price - good quality will inevitably cost you. All tier one brand tires such as Michelin will cost you. But you have to remember - you are investing into the next 5-6 years. So spending a grand for a set of four tires versus spending $700 for a set of four tires is simply negligible when we are talking about 5-6 years of life. That's a fifty bucks annual difference. I know everyone is treating these expenses differently, but for me personally a $50 annual difference for a car is negligible when it comes to comfort and confidence on the road.

But if you want to experiment and save, whatever works for you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I last purchased in late 2015 - replacing the original Michelins at a stunning 75,000mi. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it is nearly always wet & we go into the mountains with snow a few months of the year. We are both spirited drivers so I placed a premium on handling. I was torn between the Pirelli Verde All Season & the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus. Being a tire snob I wanted the Pirellis and was prejudiced against the Continental (considering it a 2nd tier brand). The reviews on Tire Rack ultimately swayed me to get the Continentals because their dry grip was just behind the Pirellis but their wet grip was superb. I did it with reservations - best decision I ever made in tires. Wet & Dry exceed the Michelins at any point in their lifetime & the Wet grip is truly phenomenal. I am VERY pleased with them.

Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus P255/55R18 109H
TireBuyer $766.08 ($735.96-$40+$70.12t)@9/17/15
$179.53 Mount & Balance & Stems, etc + Alignment $76.80 Total Installed

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like Cooper Evolution tires, made in the US and priced competitively. $125 per tire for 19" is a steal. I also like to try and get slightly skinnier and slightly taller tires as well. Helps with bump absorption and noise.

Just don't buy the cheapest ones you can find!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get our Michelin’s from Tire Rack.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires became noisy when they wore down to 7/32nds.
They were unbearable at 5/32nds.
I have been happy with my Goodyear WeatherReady tires. They are at 7/32nds and are still very quiet.

Goodyear says about the WeatherReady: "As the tire wears, Evolving Traction® Grooves transition from deep grooves to wide grooves to help displace water on the road."
I read that wider groves equate to less road noise, as these WeatherReadys age, they stay quiet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If I lived in Connecticut I would be buying all-weather tires, not all-season - there is a huge difference. All-season really means all seasons except winter, as they are poor in snow, ice, and just cold conditions generally. All-weather tires (that is, that really are all-weather) have the mountain-snowflake Severe Service icon on the sidewall. These tires are as good as an average snow tire in winter conditions while behaving like a good all-season tire the rest of the year. The only way to get better winter traction is to buy high-end winter-only tires. Nokian invented the category with their WR products, which frankly are amazing tires. They had the market to themselves for more than a decade but now the majors are piling in with comparable tires. I couldn't source the Nokians last fall so I went with the Goodyear WeatherReady instead and have been very happy with them. There are other offerings that should be good as well; just search for "all-weather" not "all-season".

·
Registered
10 Posts
New to this forum, first time I've posted so thanks in advance for any direction you all can provide.
Need to replace tires on 09 MDX, all-season as I live in CT. In the past, when I was living in FL I put a "value" tire on the vehicle and road noise was a real issue.
Have put on the expensive conti's before, this time i put on Uniroyal Tigerpaws. Made by Michelin and cheaper. So far so good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy, from the Tulsa,OK area. We may not have CT, weather here, but Oklahoma weather can change from one extreme to another very rapidly. We have an '08 MDX SH-AWD, that I had the GOOD pleasure to put some NITTO NT420S tires on {255-55-18}. These tires made an amazing difference from the Bridgestone m&s rated tires we had on. I here rumors that they may be discontinued, but if you can get them where you live, or on-line, I think you will like how they handle, wet, dry, or even ice.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I am still in love with my 265/65-R18 Bridgestone Alenza Plus...
55 Max PSI, Tons of sidewall reinforcement and a Smooth Ride, They are simply far better than the OEM Michelins and Pirellis Scorpion Verdes I tried before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts