Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been dealing with chronic tire speed related vibration issues since purchasing my 2010 X. I bought the vehicle with badly chopped tires. I immediately had them replaced with Bridgestone Alenza Plus tires and had a full alignment. The tech reported the right rear toe was still off but way better than when it came in and was "as close as he could get". Since then I have had nothing but problems with highway speed vibrations. I have been back to the shop countless times for balancing and more balancing and more road force balancing, then replacing the tires under warranty. With over 5k miles on the tires the problem is not solved.

Fast forward to last week when I got the bright idea to swap tires/rims with the company vehicle Honda Pilot with recent Michelin Defenders. The improvement was remarkable, with almost all vibrations gone except a subtle vibrations coming from the seat. This led me to the rear wheels and remembering the alignment issues decided to do a backyard rear toe check. (Clamp straight edge to tires and measure front and back to check total toe. Measuring as close to the tire as possible I came up with 3/8" toe in on the tape measure. Way too much. That's when I decided to give the cam bolts a turn to see if I can change them. Not only were they not maxed out in either direction, but they were completely frozen! The tech never adjusted these at all. Also this was probably the cause of the original tires being chopped. Unfortunately I can't fix the vibration issues until I can fix the alignment.

Does anyone know how to remove frozen lower rear control arm bolts in the MDX?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the vibrations went away with new tires/wheels, it's possible that you have a bent wheel. Bent wheels will cause vibrations at higher speeds. It's possible for a bent wheel to still balance out. Look for one with several more weights than the others. And when you had the alignment done, did you get the readout of pre-alignment vs post-alignment?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, all I know is something is wrong with a wheel tire assembly and the rear toe has not been changed in the past couple years at least. The original rear tires were badly chopped and this points to a rear toe issue. A road force balance should rule out the bent rim. The shop says it passed road force, but now I cant really trust anything they did.

I did not get an alignment sheet and should have. I know better. If this was my S2000 I would have poured over every detail. Because it was my daily driver, and i was nit aware of the future issues I would have, I did not think about it. My mistake.

I hope I can break these loose without replacing the control arm. If so, I will also look at the fronts. then I will go to a shop I trust and get a real alignment with printouts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to break them loose. Now the rear toe can be adjusted freely. I am going to my trusted Honda dealer that does alignments on my S2k. I will have them align it and Road Force balance the tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.