Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting note on choosing new tires:

A fellow I know just purchased rims and tires from tire rack. 16x7.5 rims and 225/55VR16 Bridgestone 950s. These were not for an MDX. He had them for less than a week, and was driving on them.

Interestingly, at another site, it was pointed out that these did not meet the car manufacturers' requirement for load rating. These were 94V and the manufacturer specified 95. The load rating is off by 40 lbs per tire ( 1481 versus 1521 lbs).

Initially, Tire Rack said "you are being paranoid, the rating is close enough."

This fellow said "fine, what is your fax number, I'd like to fax you a letter just clarifying that you are recommending that I not follow the minimum specified by the manufacturer." They said they would call him back after they talked to a manager.

They called back in less than an hour. They will be sending 4 new wheels, with 245/50VR16 tires. He is to return the old wheels and tires at their expense.

So- tire load ratings matter. There is a liability in not meeting the manufacturer's minimum, especially on performance vehicles. It also shows Tire Rack to be a stand up company in meeting their obligations.

Ard

·
Registered
74 Posts
A Question on Tire Selection

Way back in the early 70's I owned a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. It came with non radial mud and snows. They were great in the mud and snow but were noisy and handled poorly. Seeing as I was living in N.Y. and 3/4 of the year the weather was O.K. I bought another set of wheels and a set of steel belted street radials. It certainly made a difference in the handling and noise. I did a fair amount of off-roading back then- from mountains to the beach and these street tires served me well. In the winter I put on the mud and snows and only got stuck once when I did some seriously stupid off roading in the mountains with mucho snow(it was fun anyway-even my PTO winch couldn't save me).

Any way my question is has anyone purchased two sets of tires for their X. One for mild weather- more of a street tire and one for the winter-mud and snow?

As this is my first SUV I wonder how the stock tires perform.

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts