Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which direction the tires need to be rotated? I will be doing my own 7500 mile service this weekend.

thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
Either front to back on both sides or X where the front goes to the opposite side back and that back tire goes forward.
Either works fine and is perfectly acceptable on the MDX.

The only reason not to X rotate tires is if they are unidirectional (such as on my BMW). Tires on staggered wheels that are NOT unidirectional may be rotated side to side but this really accomplishes little so is likely not worth the effort.

Tom

SF-MDX said:
Does anyone know which direction the tires need to be rotated? I will be doing my own 7500 mile service this weekend.

thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mogur is right -- but don't forget to change your VTM-4 fluid also at 7500 Mi.; it's required, I understand, for the warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some reason I thought that front wheel drive you would X the tires and rear wheel drive its front to back. I wasn't sure about the mdx since its awd, some times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Solution!!!

Owners manual, I don't remember the page off hand since it's in my MDX somwhere in the Pacific between Hawaii And LA, CA.

When I took the MDX in for its 7500 mile service my dealer said they only change front to back when rotating, I pointed out that the OM states either that, or rear forward and front X to rear. Not a problem Mr. K and even marked instr. on each tire for the mech. ordered me a rental loaner since they were out of dealer loaners and said go enjoy the island your MDX would be done by late afternoon.

Man I Love Acura.

Aloha & Mahalo,

Nick

·
Registered
580 Posts
Rotating tires--

When it comes to cars, my dad is a fanatic. He swears that you should not x the tires. Well when I took mine in to get the tires rotated they x'ed them. My father was so upset with these people. How do I know the x'ed them, well I have a plug in one of my tires that got a screw in it and it was on the the back passenger and now it's on the front drivers side. He had a bad experience with x-ing the tires in the 60's. My opinion is that they make tires a whole lot better now then they did back in the 60's and it don't make a difference. He doesn't think the thread should go backwards from what it was before. Something about the belts slipping them. I don't know. I think these people know what they are doing and as long as I keep rotating them (I do it every 10,000 miles) that they'll be just fine.

Lmeans

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your X pattern is wrong

Lmeans,
The X is the fronts to the opposites rear and the rears straight forward on their respectable sides. have your dealer read your owners manual it is graphically depicted, and impossible to screw up. The way that you explained their rotation is WRONG I would have them CORRECT it ASAP.

Just my .02

Aloha & Mahalo

Nick

·
Registered
580 Posts
Let me get this straight--

When you X them you don't put the back passenger to the front driver and the front passenger to the back driver????:confused:

That's what I would think, but your saying you take the front driver to the back passenger and the back passenger to the front passenger etc... Boy this is confusing. I guess the next 10,000 mile change I'll have to ask them about that. I took my other car to these people and they did it 4 times for me (I sold it with 40,000 miles) and my tires seemed to be o.k. I'm assuming since I took it to the same place this is how they did this. My dealer is 150 miles away so I take it to a place that I trust (I think). I assumed they know. In the owners manual it has it both ways doesn't it. It shows a picture front to back and X.

I don't know. I guess I should just listen to my father.:rolleyes:

Lmeans

·
Registered
112 Posts
the book is right, so is your father.

Lmeans, I did not mean to confuse you but front to back, back to front like your father and the book says is fine. In fact it is for directional tires, which you dont have unless you have changed the stock tires.
the prefered method to balance out even wear over the tires life is the X method as described in the manual.

I hope this helps

Aloha,

Nick

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nick--

O.K. I get it with the directional tires, that would be like water treading tires? And I have not changed my tires. I have the Michelins that came with the MDX. But your saying that the way they x'ed my tires is wrong they shouldn't have done it the way they did. I feel real stupid right now:rolleyes: . I guess I don't understand this.

By the way, (another stupid question) how's the weather in hawaii? I would love to visit there some day.

Lmeans

·
Registered
112 Posts
You got it!

First off the Weather is GREAAAT! it is currently 5:33pm and 82 degrees with a slight tradewind. Unfortunately we are coming to the end of our tour, I am in the US. Army and we have been here for three years. In a week and a half we will be moving to Hattiesburg Mississippi, not that we want to, but thats were they need me.

In reference to your tire rotation I would contact the dealer and let him know about his poor servicing of you vehicle!

Aloha & Mahalo,

and a Mele Kalikimaka.

Nick

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: You got it!

Nxtr06 said:
First off the Weather is GREAAAT! it is currently 5:33pm and 82 degrees with a slight tradewind...

Nick
Nick,

TheWife was just asking how the weather is there during the evenings. We're heading to Maui this weekend. Too bad you're on the wrong island (;)) so we won't get to check out your rig...enjoy your final couple of weeks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Weather!

Worm,
It cools off at night infact up on the mountain where we're at sometime get down to 69 70.

As far as seeing my MDX you just might catch a glimpse of it on your way over it is on a boat somewhere in the Pacific headed to Los Angeles, CA. where we will pick it up and drive to Texas, Wisconsin, and finally Mississippi.

Hope you have fun in Maui.

Aloha,

Mele Kalikimaka

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hawaii

Worm,

How was Maui?
The wife and I were in Kaui probably about the same time (mid November). Hawaii has been a favorite of ours and will remain that way for a long time. We were in Oahu earlier in May.

Where did you stay while in Maui? We like the south coast.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Hawaii

Spaniard said:
Worm,

How was Maui?
The wife and I were in Kaui probably about the same time (mid November). Hawaii has been a favorite of ours and will remain that way for a long time. We were in Oahu earlier in May.

Where did you stay while in Maui? We like the south coast.
Maui no ka oi!

Ya know...sun, forget what day of the week it is (and don't care), etc.

Stayed in Kaanapali (folks have a place there)*. Haven't been to Kauai in ~ 6 yrs (stayed @ Princeville). Beautiful but not as much to do as on Maui. It was really quiet (mid December) there...I'd say half as many people as usual. Didn't need resvs for anything. Too bad they didn't lower the prices given the slow biz -- I guess they figure you're there already :)

* which gets me thinking...I'll post over in the Classifieds...anybody interested in an acuramdx.org discount @ a Maui condo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maui

Worm,

I'll try to remember your condo rental next time I go to Maui.

It was same at Poipu-Kauai. Beautiful but very quiet. The Hyatt Regency where we stayed was rather empty.

But I saw a MDX drving down the road...!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Spaniard
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing