Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Best TIRE ROTATION frequency for AWD 2nd gen. Acura MDX?

• every 3000 to 5000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • every 5000 to 8000 miles

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • every 8000 miles or more....

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • i don't bother to have my tires rotated...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've read conflicting reports upon how often tires should be rotated....this past December, I purchased some a set of Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact tires (which I must say have handled exceptionally well in snow, ice, and rain thus far) for which have since seen about 3000 miles of a fair mix of city and highway miles....I have a 2009 MDX (all wheel drive with brand new SUPER dooooper OEM magnetic shocks also as of December 2016) and would like to know what's the best frequency for having these tires rotated (I take them to Discount Tires where I get free, unlimited balance and rotation for the life of the tires).

While on one hand I don't want to neglect tire rotation while continuing to keep on driving my all wheel drive MDX care free, I also don't want to have the tires rotated too often (no need to visit Discount Tire more than I have to!)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay I admit, I didn't use my friend (the search bar) and instead abruptly posted this poll to help me decide upon whether or not to cancel my DISCOUNT TIRE appointment later this afternoon- with my new tires only having traveled about 3000 MILES thus far, I have decided that a rotation today would be a premature move on my part, as I will likely wait until these Continental tires installed on my 2009 MDX have seen at least 5000-8000 miles

*decision was also influenced by Mr. Gold35's post which I've copied below from another thread...thank you Mr. Gold35 :29:

I usually keep my cars +120,000 miles and it has saved me some $$$ purchasing my tires from Discount Tires (free rotation/balance for the life of tires) and Lifetime alignment from Firestone ($100 for regular+$100 lifetime during the ownership of the vehicle). I don't have Acura do the balance/rotation and I can take it to Firestone do the alignment if I have any suspension work done anyplace else.

I always keep my tire rotations around the same times as my oil changes (5000 miles for TSX/RDX and 7500 miles for MDX); even if the M.I.D. doesn't call for it. It is just easier to keep it straight in my head. I do a front/back rotation and then cross-rotation before starting over again to front/back. I always have Discount tires check my full size spare PSI because it can drop 1-2 PSI per month.

I take my vehicles back for an alignment (put about 20,000 miles per year) when:
- once a year
- new tires
- any suspension work done
- any cross country trips
- if I notice anything out of the ordinary when the tires check out OK

Firestone usually finds the alignment off a little bit and an adjustment was needed. Anything will cause wear on the alignment in normal driving with pot holes, bumping curbs when parking, rough roads, and normal bumps/dips over time. Firestone figured out my front control arm on my TSX was starting to go out (didn't notice by driving). Firestone also notice my RDX needed front cam adjustment bolts before I felt a problem. I've noticed my MDX is more sensitive to alignment problems compared to my RDX/TSX. You don't notice the problems until you drive on the hwy 70-85 mph. I don't know if the +14 has the same suspension/alignment sensitivity or not?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts